What's new

Best way to clean ceramic glass cook top? (1 Viewer)

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
We've moved into a new house with a new electric range. It's the kind with the smooth, ceramic glass cook top. I always thought they were supposed to be easy to clean but so far, it's been tough. Some food spilled on to the top and the burner just turned it nice and black. I've scraped the food away but now I have stains on the glass. Is there any miracle polish that will take them off?

Thanks!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Yes. There is a specific polish made for flat top ranges. You can find it almost anyplace that they sell appliances. I think it comes in a white bottle with black label. Plus, there are specific scrubbers for smooth tops.

We have a Maytag, which we love. Every so often, I'll get out the polish, and clean up all the burnt on stuff. It will come out. Plus, it will polish out any scratches.

http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg....s/14404448.jpg

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Yes, use the specialized stuff. DO NOT use regular detergent or Ajax or any other chemical to clean the top. You can permenantly ruin it that way, be careful. Scraping isn't all that good an idea either, get the polish...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Warm water and a 3M (green) pad works well; the polisher to get the rest off.

I also recommend the mottled black surfaces, since they hide the scorch marks. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
We're buying one and we were told to use the special stuff linked above along with soap and water for normal usage.

Julia

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know what's in it (ingredients?)? I'm sure there's a cheaper version.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Why cheap out after you spent a good sum of cash on your cooktop? It's unlikely the few bucks you save is worth it.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Cerama-Bryte is the special cleaner we use...rub on..let dry..buff off the haze..nice smooth and clean!

Available at Home Depot or at applianceparts.com

A new single edge razor in a "widget" holder to remove the crusty stuff and the surface is good as new

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry to be so obvious, but I would recommend tha you go to the website of the manufacturer and look for this information. It is probably in their "Frequency asked questions" section.

The special cleaner is what you need. Before using the special cleaner, a razor blade works great for removing burnt on gunk. This is what the manufacturer recommends in the book for my Whirlpool Gold electric cooktop and it works great. Do not use windex or ammonia!!!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The solution contains finely divided silica (I don't know the particle size, whether the silica is irregular or spherical, or its size distribution). The problem with using things like cleansers is that the particle size is quite large and while it will clean it'll also scratch. As far as these cleansers removing scratches, that can be kind of iffy. Often, the way they work is that the silica becomes imbedded within the scratches themselves. Since the particle size is small and the refractive index is quite close to the ceramic cooktops, this creates the illusion that the scratches have been removed. This is similar to those products that 'remove' scratches in eyeglasses or products that hide scratches in car finishes. It takes a fair amount of work to remove scratches and it's based upon using compounds with progressivley smaller particle sizes that cause smaller and finer scratches. For example, polishing compounds that are used in making mirrors for telescopes, along with the proper pads might be useful in restoring the finish on a ceramic cooktop to like new condition.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
another vote for the mr clean eraser pads. those are the *only* thing i've ever tried that worked. :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Really? The razor blade and special cooktop cleaner specified by the manufacturer has always worked perfectly for me.

The cooktop cleaner looks, feels, smells, and works exactly like the chrome polish I use on my motorcycle's exhaust pipe.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I used the razors and some cleaner that claimed it was for cook tops but it wasn't the stuff linked to above. While the razors worked, the cleaner to LOTS of elbow grease... I almost tried my Porter Cable polisher but decided against it until asking you guys. I can still see a couple of burns so I'll try the magic eraser and other cleaners mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks