What's new

"American Graffiti: High School Reunion Collection"--different transfer? (1 Viewer)

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
I was curious if there was anything new or different about the upcoming third release of "American Graffiti" coming out next week, the "High School Reunion Collection" edition. I noticed it has the same documentary; is there also a new transfer, sound, etc.?

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to know this too. I have the double feature disc. Personally i hate More American Grafitti but it was a good price.
Having had the laserdisc of American Grafitti years ago i was disappointed to find the Dvd was only 2.0 sound and not a 5.1 mix. This movie really needs a 5.1 track and i will buy the new release if it has one.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the "High School Reunion Collection" is a new release. A couple of years ago a bunch of Universal titles like "American Graffiti", "Mallrats" "Dazed and Confused" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" were all re-released with no differences but the addition of a "High School Reunion Collection" banner at the top of the cover art. To give you an idea of how long ago this happened, they were the earlier releases of "Fast Times" and "Dazed and Confused", both of which have subsequently been re-issued. If this "new release" of "American Graffiti" means anything, it's a price drop.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wonder if they're going to delete the two-pack. I've never seen More, but the two-pack is really cheap at Fry's, so maybe I better act now.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
American Graffiti has one of the most perfect video transfers I've seen on DVD. No digital muckery... and it's more or less spotless. I think the only scars are scratches on the opening Universal logo and the very end of the end credits.

Also, while 5.1 is nice, at least the DVD keeps the stereo track from the 1978 re-release. It's one of the best 2.0 surround tracks I've heard.

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Well, at least one thing was altered for the DVD release: the opening title shot. There was no sunset behind Mel's Drive-In in the original, and you can see what the unaltered shot looked like at the start of the DVD documentary.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I also noticed the addition of this title to the "Highschool Reunion Collection" branding along with a few others and was wondering if there was another boxset being planned, or perhaps the original set revisited with the addition of these new titles?

The original set featured The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Weird Science.

Now the titles I see listed under this heading are The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, American Greaffiti and Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Has anyone seen any listings for a new set?

I haven't ever gotten around to purchasing the original yet, but with the addition of these new titles, I'm contemplating either waiting or buying them all seperately.

I'm also not sure whether or not I should go for the Fast Times / Dazed & Confused 2-disc box pairing, or these seperate editions...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The end credits were taken from the '78 re-release also, and one of the "bios" at the end was changed to conform to the sequel.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if Universal would start putting some effort into first-time DVD releases instead of re-hashing the same films.

And if they're going to re-do anything, where's that proper DVD for THE STING they keep dragging their feet on?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Actually that was done for the 25th anniversary (1998) which was for DVD and VHS. At the time, I recall a lot of complaints that Lucas was messing with Graffiti the same way he messed with Star Wars in '97. I think the sequence - which is the only tinkering I can find in Graffiti - looks good.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
If you look carefully at the original shot you'll see some buildings in the background because Mel's Diner is actually in the city of San Francisco.

If I remember correctly Lucas wanted to eliminate that backdrop to get rid of the city - giving the shot more of a small town look.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think it is Paul LeMat's bio, but I'm not sure.....go to IMDB, they have the info.

John*P

Second Unit
I definitely want to eventually own American Graffiti on DVD. I'm wondering if I should buy the current disc in case the new one doesn't have "More" included? (assuming the old one might go OOP)

BTW, Three O'Clock High is also part of the "High School Reunion Collection".

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I feel that the original/current DVD is excellent: beautiful anamorphic transfer of a T-scope film; impressive-for-its-age slightly bumped 3.0 stereo; excellent documentary. The film doesn't need a commentary, as the 80-minute documentary covers the film extremely well, with many key participants providing illuminating comments.

The altered opening shot has never bothered me. Judging by Patrick's comparison, it is obvious that the original shot has problems and we know how picky Lucas is about ropey backgrounds and grungy elements.

For me, American Graffiti remains Lucas' best film. Truly 'one from the heart'. A funny, poignant, almost mythical journey through the past, blessed with wonderful performances and perhaps the best 'song-track' 'score' in all of Cinema; Boogie Nights ain't got nuthin' on this, you crazy cats!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've been thinking about buying this, too. Just to clarify: is the first film's disc in the "Drive-In Double-Feature" basically the same disc as the '98 Collector's Edition. Same content and everything, I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks