What's new

The Court Jester? (1 Viewer)

John Madia

Second Unit
I'm interested in picking up The Court Jester and was wondering what the quality of the DVD is like. Also, would this movie make a good double feature with The Adventures of Robin Hood?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Paramount's COURT JESTER is acceptable on DVD, but one wishes it would get the kind of VistaVision restoration that WB gave NORTH BY NORTHWEST and HIGH SOCIETY.

Still, it's a TERRIFIC movie, and at least the film is presented in anamorphic with proper aspect ratio. At the reasonable price you'd pay, it's certainly worth it. The merely adequate picture & sound quality is certainly compensated by the brilliance of the wit of the film itself.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Let's see... the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true... :D

It's VERY worth owning, however...

Paramount's DVD is mediocre. The image is blurry and lacks any sort of real details. It's dirty and the source used to make the print used for the transfer must have been photographed through a very dirty optical printer. It looks like someone sneezed on a lens and there's snot in the upper right corner throughout the movie. The color seems to be great, though. The old pan & scan transfer didn't suffer too much from the blurriness, but the colors shifted from shot to shot (often to a brownish tint).

This is one film that absolutely needs a full restoration to make the VistaVision logo mean something.

Despite the ugly look of the film probably caused by using a poorly made dupe, I feel it's worth a purchase. One of the funniest movies ever made.

If Paramount did a full-scale restoration and remaster, I'd buy the SE just like that! *snap*

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Seconded; the cable transmissions in the UK are far superior to the current DVD release. To be fair, Paramounts more recent output has been so much better than this.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

But, they broke the chalice from the palace... The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

I love this film. I've been waiting for it to be done up right on DVD... but I may cave and get the current disc at a bargain price.

-Scott

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. McCart is (again) correctly describing the situation.

The Vista Oneg is faded.

The separation masters were comped together to a dupe negative in 4 perf, which means that the final element ( a dupe negative) is overly contrasty, do to three optical steps, and is of the pre-wetgate era, which means that all damage is printed in.

Wonderful film.

Paramount's prices are always reasonable. A buy.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
To be fair, this was an early Paramount DVD - the fact that it's anamorphic is reason for happiness. I think it would look better, even using the current elements, if they did it anew, with wetgate and all. The color, after all, is perfect, Oneg not withstanding. And let's face it, they were not going to be transfering from the VistaVision negative anyway.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
http://www.loc.gov/film/nfr2004.html

The Court Jester was chosen (along with 24 other great features and shorts) to be on the Library of Congress' 2004 National Film Registry list. This list was just released today.

According to Paramount's Film Preservation page (http://www.paramountpictures.com/fil.../projects.html), the studio holds the following elements:

# Original camera negative (VistaVision)
# IN
# IP
# YCM separation masters (VisaVision)
# YCM separation masters (4 perf)
# Magnetic mono composite audio master
# Music and effects magnetic masters
# High Definition tape master

So, this honor would be a nice opportunity to create a brand new restoration. It would be neat if the film could get a big 50th anniversary re-release in 2006.

Paramount must be able to do something better. Their To Catch a Thief DVD came from 8 perf separations (according to the website) and it looks much better.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All Vista productions "come from" 8 perf elements at some point in the food chain.

As I understand it, Court Jester came from a 4 perf duplicate negative, optically derived via reduction from the 8 perf separation masters.

Paramount is a studio extremely sensitive to the quality of their film elements and has upgraded the way that many of these elements are now handled.

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
"Paramount is a studio extremely sensitive to the quality of their film elements and has upgraded the way that many of these elements are now handled."

"Now" being the key word. Let's not forget their "Asset Protection Program" of the early 90's, when they did some irreversible damage to the master 35mm elements of their 3-D features...

RCF

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That's the rub as always. It's futile to shake one's fist at the Paramount logo since the leadership (as with many media companies) has churned almost beyond recognition in the last dozen years. At least they seem to be doing things the right way now.

Regards,

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Was recently reading This thread, which referenced this current thread.

I, too, would welcome a new edition of "The Court Jester".

The Robin Hood parody is superb.

I wonder if anyone knows of any plans(?)

DG

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
How timely for you to resurrect this discussion of THE COURT JESTER, since the longshot winner of today's Kentucky Derby was Giacomo. :)

PatH

Second Unit
When I heard who won the Derby today, my immediate reaction said to my brother without thought was "King of Jesters and Jester of Kings". He understood, too.

PatH

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Yeah, there are a number of films I would like them to get to before re-doing "Court Jester", including "Up in Arms" and "Knock on Wood", but if it's not an either-or proposition, I'd be happy to see a new SE.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks