What's new

My rig 1, expensive demo rig 0. (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Recently, I had the opportunity to listen to some very nice speakers (won't name brands) running on a $1000+ CD player, $4000 pre/amp combo, and wired together with $300 speaker cables. I was somewhat surprised to discover that I liked my comparatively humble setup much better. I have Mirage OM7s, matching center, Axiom surrounds, SVS sub, Denon 3803, cheapie panasonic DVD player for music, and simple Monster speaker wire. I just think it all sounds a lot better.

I can understand that I'm used to my rig and anything else might sound off, but the expensive demo set just didn't sound that great. I was expecting to be amazed with spectacular sound, but it just turned out to be a let down.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I had an experience like that the first time I heard B&W 801s. The front end was all Krell, super high end stuff. I just wasn't blown away.

On the other hand, the first time I heard music on my humble Mackie HR624 monitors, I was really amazed.

JamesCB

Second Unit
I also had similar experience with B&W 801's. They were driven by a Theta amp with a VERY high end Krell CD system. I only heard some of Dark Side Of The Moon, but it was VERY dissapointing. In fact, everything I heard on B&W that day was bad. Too dry, sterile, and lifeless. Guess B&W just ain't my brand.

James

BrianAe

Second Unit
IMHO, the room and setup will make a bigger difference then the fancy front end electronics. So, if your setup is better in that respect then I wouldn't be surprised.

Many (including myself) believe that the 300 dollar cables will make no difference.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
different strokes for different folks. simple as that. and perhaps poor setup.

price doesn't mean it will sound good. I've heard expensive speakers in expensive well-done rooms that either made me want to rob a bank immediately to be able to own them, or made me from from the room in horror and want to go listen to the 4-inch 80s era mono POS volvo brand stereo in my car.

What were you listening to?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Synergy of the whole is always the most important element to a system. Just slapping together some more expensive pieces of electronics will not always equal greater sound. I have heard plenty of high dollar system that have been major to minor disappointments, but I have also heard enough great systems, some that cost a whole lot, that can make me drool or forget where I am. And I guess I heard enough of these great systems to convince me the trials tribulations, and cost are worth it, so that now my system is up there as well in sonics and unfortunately cost as well.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve heard speakers that got rave reviews in the magazines, such as the B&W 801’s and Carver Amazing Loudspeaker, Maggies, etc. and wasn’t especially impressed. We’ve had some local meets where I’ve had a chance to hear equipment costing many times what mine does. Sure, they sounded nice, but none of them made me think I’d died and gone to heaven or anything like that. For the price difference I would have expected at the very least a significant improvement – especially since my speakers only cost about $600 list back in the 80s.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, ive told my friends that I would put up my 2 channel system against a $10000 system any day. Mine might not be better than the $$$ system, but my speakers are $60 DIY speakers, my amps are 100 watt mono tube amps I inherited, my pre/pro was $130, and my sub was free.

So Ive spent $200 on this sytem.

HT wise its incomplete cause I have no more speakers but I have a B&K 5 channel amp I bought used for $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks