What's new

Techflex & Heatshrink -- What Size to Use? (1 Viewer)

I'm in the process of completing a remodel where I did whole house audio/video wiring in 11 rooms and wired for a home theater system. All wiring was brought to a control center room which is accessible behind the home theater components and other electronics for connection.

I have a lot of RG-6 cable and Ixos 14/4 speaker wire that I want to cover with Techflex and terminate with heatshrink for a cleaner look. What size stuff should I use? I don't want the Techflex to be loose or sloppy, yet I don't want a hassle in putting it on. Also, is 3/4" heatshrink the right one to use?

Thanks!
Cynthia

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Cynthia,

Can’t help you with the techflex ‘cause I’ve never used it, but the heat shrink is pretty simple. Just measure the OD of the RG-6 and get some shrink that’s about 1/8” larger.

If your cable is already terminated with the “F” connectors, their width is what you’ll have to go with. Keep in mind, however, that if the shrink is about 1/ 4” or more larger than the cable, there’s a good chance it won’t shrink down tight over the cable.

Come to think of it, I imagine the techflex needs to be a little smaller than the cable’s OD. Otherwise it will be loose.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thanks Wayne --

Techflex says the specs are as follows:

1/4" size fits 1/8" - 7/16" cable
3/8" size fits 3/16" - 5/8" cable
1/2" size fits 1/4" - 3/4" cable

My Belden RG-6 is about 1/4" in diameter and the speaker wire is 5/16". So according to those measurements, all the sizes would fit, however, I would assume the smaller two would be snugger.

None of my cables are terminated yet, so I just have to worry about the cable size.

I talked to the folks at Partsexpress and Wirecare.com and both said their heatshrink is 3:1. Partsexpress told me to get the 18 mm for what I am doing which is a little less than 3/4". That sounds different than what you mentioned.

Anyone else have ideas or used the stuff???

Cynthia

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
PE’s recommendation should be fine, especially if you’re shrinking over techflex. My recommendation was for the smallest size you could use without techflex. The main thing is that you don't want it super-snug or barely-fit going on, or it will split when you shrink it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David K.

Second Unit
im very familiar with tech flex,

The specifications on the website are dead on, But if you choose the smaller size of the two then you get little holes in the sleeving, if you choose the mediom size one itll fit nicely,

But DO NOT get the 1/2" for a 1/4" cable, even if the specs say that the 1/2" will fit 1/4" it'll come out loose.

I have a tutorial online with pics of customizing an exotic cable, you may find it interesting

http://www.geocities.com/RnB180/diy.html

Ill take some more pics and post examples for you to see different sizes.

David K.

Second Unit
1/4" black techflex over 4x14awg leads

3/8" blue tech flex over 3/8" canare 4s11

1/4" black flex over 3/8" canare

dual sleeved,

3/8" blue flex + 1/4" black flex over canare

1/2" 2-1 dual wall heatshrink + 1/2" red 2-1 regular red shrink

3/8" 2-1 heat shrink for both the boot and leads.

3/8" 2-1 heat shrink for boot, 3/16" 2-1 heat shrink for the 14 awg leads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks