What's new

Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly 2-disc SE, May 18, 2004 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=168109

this is already mentioned in the above thread started by Peter Apruzzese and now that the Bits rumor mills is also mentioning.

About time for a much better and improved version.

This is another brilliant masterpiece from Sergio Leone

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY - The Restored Version
Clint Eastwood reprises his role as "The Man with No Name" in one of the best of the "spaghetti westerns". Here he searches for a cache of stolen Civil War gold against rivals "Angel Eyes" (Lee Van Cleef), a ruthless bounty hunter, and Tuco (Eli Wallach), a Mexican bandit. Director Sergio Leone utilizes the ultra-wide Techniscope frame in unique ways, characters frequently can't see the obvious because we - the audience - can't see it either. Combine Tonino Delli Colli's stunning photography with Leone's mythical representation of the American West and stir in Ennio Morricone's amazing, iconic, music score and you get an immensely rich and entertaining western for the ages. If you've only seen this one on video or television, you haven't really seen it! Music by Ennio Morricone; Cinematography by Tonino Delli Colli; Produced by Alberto Grimaldi; Screenplay by Age-Scarpelli, Luciano Vincenzoni & Sergio Leone; Directed by Sergio Leone. 1967, Techniscope & Technicolor, approx. 180 minutes, an MGM release of a United Artists picture.

NOTE ON THIS RESTORED FULL-LENGTH VERSION:
In 2003, MGM Studios, in association with Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, and producer Alberto Grimaldi, painstakingly restored the original 3-hour version using 14 minutes that had been cut for the American release in 1967. Since the edited sequences had never before been dubbed into English, MGM's archivist John Kirk had Eastwood, Eli Wallach and voice artist Simon Prescott (substituting for the late Lee Van Cleef) come into the studio to re-voice their dialogue. The picture elements have also been completely remastered from the original Techniscope negatives and the sound has been remixed into Dolby Stereo. We are proud to present the full-length restored version of THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY courtesy of Latanya Taylor at MGM Repertory.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Should be interesting. I haven't watched the current version in so long, I can't remember how good the quality was. I haven't watched it on my new TV, so I didn't pay attention to whether or not it was anamorphic last time I watched it.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I just watched my old $10 copy. It was anamorphic and not bad looking. Some print flaws, but otherwise a pretty good transfer for the time of its release.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The restored print of TGTB&TU first made the theatrical rounds back in May (I saw it at the Film Forum in NYC) and aired on AMC, so it seems kind of strange to me that everyone was shocked when Peter's theatre recently ran it. And although Peter's theatre is only able to accommodate Dolby Stereo, I believe MGM also did a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix for the film.

DJ

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
And although Peter's theatre is only able to accommodate Dolby Stereo, I believe MGM also did a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix for the film.
Yes, the print did have a Dolby Digital track on it as well, but we're only equipped for DTS and Dolby SR up there.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Here's hoping that the newly dubbed scenes are more evenly matched with the rest of the film when the DVD comes out. When it showed here in the Twin Cities (in 5.1), there was a glaring transition between the old and new dialogue. The tone changed, which was expected considering that the actors have aged, but the volume and quality were much different in the new scenes.

It would also be ideal to have Leone biographer Christopher Frayling doing commentary.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
For my part, I'm hoping that we get the option on the new disc to watch either version of the film. I'm interested to see the new scenes, but I'd hate for the disc to contain only the revised cut.

(Yes, the existing disc has the "standard" US cut of the film, but it's one of the very early DVD releases, and I'm guessing/hoping that the new disc will surpass it in the video-quality department.)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The current version looks great on my 36" tv,however I would still pick this up for the longer cut,and hopefully better sound,as the original was sounded like a "tincan".

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
Kinda sucks, I just bought this one a month ago. I'll be buying it again though no doubt, and holding off on the rest of the trilogy.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
I found the first news on the upcoming Special Edition of Sergio Leones " Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo / The Good, the Bad & the Ugly" [I / E 1966] on a French DVD-site.

This MGM-DVD contains the newly restored 175-minute cut with an anamorphic widescreen-transfer, English and French DD 5.1-tracks but no Italian track.

On the bonus side there will be one hour of documentaries: One documentary about spaghetti-westerns, one about the Civil War, another one about Sergio Leone, a making-of and a featurette about the restoration. Four other bonus features will be finding its way on the DVD, but no word what they are.

The French DVD will be released on April, 6th 2004.

source: http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?7550

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The extended cut of TGTBATU on dvd at last - yay! But I hope that MGM sees fit to re-release the other movies in the 'Dollars' trilogy with bespoke supplements as well, and a Lowry-style clean-up wouldn't go amiss either. I guess we've gotta wait and see...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The extended cut of TGTBATU on dvd at last - yay! But I hope that MGM sees fit to re-release the other movies in the 'Dollars' trilogy with bespoke supplements as well, and a Lowry-style clean-up wouldn't go amiss either. I guess we've gotta wait and see... [/QUOTE

I'm with Geoff on this! I've held off on buying any of these in hopes that they well be re-done. I watched "Once Upon A Time In the West" for the first time this week, and was so blown away I'm really chomping at the bit for these.

I guess in leu of no release on the other 2, the original warners R1 are pretty cheap these days, and easily found in bargin bins.

Real Name
Anthony
I'm just posting so this brilliant news can go back to the top of the threadlists so everyone can see it and sing for joy !

Re-releases of all Leone's films along the lines of the excellent OUATITW is a necessity, imho. :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I think the important news is that this is coming out.

This is mine and thanks for posting the good news indeed

:emoji_thumbsup:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What the hell... I just bought The Man With No Name box-set literally 3 weeks ago!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Will there be a new special edition collection re-release of this??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks