What's new

DVD Thinpak and other Slim Cases (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Will DVD cases as we know them change?

From Reuters' StudioBrief:

Thinner DVD Packaging Coming

In the apparent belief that consumers will buy more movies on DVD if they take up less space on their shelves, Sony Disc Manufacturing said that it has begun using Nexpak's Thinpak DVD cases, which are about half the width of conventional cases, for two Image Entertainment releases. The company said that it expects other DVD producers to follow suit. The thinner cases will also allow video stores to stock more product. Moreover, Shelli Kaiser, director of marketing for Nexpak, told Video Store magazine that the Thinpak cases can be automatically packed by machine, eliminating the current cost of hand packing. "It saves money ... and it speeds the time to market," she said.
Personally, I think DVD cases are fairly perfect as is. I think any thinner, and it might be difficult to read the titles if faced binding out. I don't know of anyone who doesn't face their DVDs binding out.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
In the apparent belief that consumers will buy more movies on DVD if they take up less space on their shelves,
Honestly, when buying DVDs, the LAST thing on my mind is, "Where will this fit in my shelves?" It's a damn good question for me to be asking, but it doesn't at all affect my purchases. Perhaps I'd save more money if it did...

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
A single DVD case is thicker than a single laserdisc cover, and I don't have any trouble reading the laserdisc titles on the spines.

I'd welcome any improvement over current DVD packaging, including the introduction of a laserdisc-style cardboard cover.

My preference from day one would have been jewel cases, but those didn't last long.

Charlie

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
They are starting this trend with the box sets, yes. I can name a few right off, not the least of which are the Image releases for Twilight Zone, and the Fox releases coming up of Futurama and Family Guy (see Ron's review of the latter posted today, for the things "in action").

But I've got contacts at a couple of packing plants, and it sounds like this is heading for use on individual releases as well. They are in the process of retooling lines to use this sort of packaging as an option. I didn't ask about details, as it's a "friend of a friend" thing in each case. But yes, sounds like they are coming.

For my part, that's fine. I already have so many DVD's that the space they take up is quite, uh, considerable. If everything had been in ThinPaks all along then I would be in quite a bit better shape right now! :laugh:

I mean, what's wrong with the idea? Since inserts are kind of being slowly eliminated anyway, then what's the point of thick packaging? These thinner packages also seem to eliminate rattlers, since the disc doesn't have enough room to come off the hub. Of course, that might mean more damage in an impact, but the thinner cases can be wrapped in thicker styrofoam for shipping!

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I ran out of space about 200 DVDs back. Now I have them lying everywhere and it drives me nuts. I still have room for laserdiscs, and they number 800+. I, for one, welcome thinner packaging.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I like this idea.

Inserts are nice, but I rarely read them more than once. I think it would be a good idea to have a slipcover for the thinpack which had the chapter listing or a booklet glued into the design.

CraigMAC

Auditioning
LOL :b The amount of movies consumers will buy is directly proportionate to the quality (picture, sound and content) of said DVDs. These guys have GOT to give their heads a collective shake. ;)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Good grief! I really don't have any opinion on this style of case, but I'm really annoyed to have yet another style come out. I wish they could have settled on one style from the start - and most importanatly one that keeps the DVD on its spindle but allows you to get it off without bending it double. Sigh.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Columbia House has been using these for their exclusive TV show releases for a while. I've got several of them, and it is fairly hard to read the printing on the spine.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have the new Twilight Zone sets using these cases and I gotta say - I like 'em. I can read the spines just fine. If these had been used from the beginning, I wouldn't be looking at buying new DVD shelving right now... ;)
I wish they could have settled on one style ... that keeps the DVD on its spindle but allows you to get it off without bending it double.
The thinpacks meet this criterion quite nicely.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
It looks like they are plastic, like a jewel case. Can anyone clarify that?

If that is the case I want nothing to do with a case that cracks, shatters and is prone to broken hinges.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I guess this is what A&E used on the Shackleton set. I think that's the only one I have like this.

They don't seem too bad to me, especially for box sets which do take up too much space sometimes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the Shackelton set was the first retail release to use them.

The thinpaks are made of the same plastic as a keepcase, but thinner, and rather flexible. Not the type of shatterable plastic used on jewel cases. No worries about damage to them, and no hinges either.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it looks like the kind of plastic used in my band of brothers packaging. i don't recall for sure, but it does seem pretty durable.

i'm all for these thin cases. there's no need for these cases to be so darn thick, especially when the insert consists of one or two thin pieces of paper.

plus the clear plastic could make for some cooler design elements...especially in the inside!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks