What's new

ZZ Top Tour/Mini Review (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Could anyone who has been to one of these shows you tell me if KWS has been playing any new material? Any hints as to whether or not there's a new album in the works?
I thought he said that there was a new record due out toward the end of the year, and he may have played a cut. That said, I couldn't tell you anything about it.

I have a couple of his CD's, but he has pretty much slipped under my radar. Without putting too fine a point on it, there are only so many ways that you can play SRV style Texas Blues. It all sort of runs together a bit.

Having said all that, I did like his set, but it seemed to lack a bit of intensity.

BGL

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Kewl Info guys, as I am going to the show in Nawlins this week! ;)

PS-Catch my EAGLES thread as I just saw them this WEEK, OMG, they STILL ROCK!!!!!
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brian- Got Rhythmeen. Raunchy, down and dirty, earthy: good stuff! There is some "processing" in there, but it *adds* to the music, not overwhelms it like Eliminator/Afterburner/Recycler. Antenna and XXX are on their way...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Brian- Got Rhythmeen. Raunchy, down and dirty, earthy: good stuff!
Well thats a relief...gotta keep the credibility up there!

Antenna is perhaps more a little more like Deguelos than Rythmeen. Don't forget to post when you get XXX.

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brian- Got Antenna and XXX. Rhythmeen still rules, but I actually liked XXX a little bit more than Antenna. The 1st song (and maybe the 4th too) is more in the Rhythmeen tradition, but the rest of XXX is actually not that different from Antenna.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
OK, I just saw this concert and I must have loved it cause I could not make it to work the next day ;) Oh, no never mind that was the case of beer I drank.:angry:

The show it self was good, TED NUGENT was L O U D to the point of not being able to understand it clearly, L O U D!!!

ZZ came on and did a good show the only thing I did not like was when they did the first encore and it was over, they had not even left the stage yet and the house lights were on, no chance on encore number two, but it was good anyway, IMHO.

Just to compare souvenir prices, the cost of hats and teeshirts there was exactly the same has at the Eagles, $30 for a hat and $30-40 for a t-shirt. I think the arena's must get a lot of the money as the cc receipts are made out from them and not any promoter.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The show it self was good, TED NUGENT was L O U D to the point of not being able to understand it clearly, L O U D!!!
Roger that! I am a Nuge fan, and it was tough to make out everything he said. I guess when you are not the headliner, you don't get a lot of say in the sound.

When he played Kiss My *ss, I could not make out 1/2 the people he was naming. Which was perhaps a good thing. My wife and I were three seats to the left of our mayor (why a democrat would knowingly attend a Nugent show, I do not know).

Apparently the mayor thought he was named by Ted in KMA. In all honesty, I didn't hear it, but he was mildly cheesed off. On our way out, he said again that he was PO'd that Ted told him to kiss his *ass. Kind of glad I didn't have to tell him he was right; I would have hated to see Nuge getting rousted by the NM State Police.

Oh well, I tend to agree with most of Ted's politics, but why any politician would be seen a a Nuge show is beyond me. Its not like Ted's views are a secret.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Brian- Got Antenna and XXX. Rhythmeen still rules, but I actually liked XXX a little bit more than Antenna. The 1st song (and maybe the 4th too) is more in the Rhythmeen tradition, but the rest of XXX is actually not that different from Antenna.
Thanks for the update. I will track down XXX.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK KCB, XXX arrived yesterday.

Have not played it yet on the big rig, but have been listening in the car and on the PC set-up.

Definitely falls into place between Antenna and Rythmeen. Not sure that the songs are as accessible, but cut from the same cloth to be sure.

If I didn't know the order of release, I would have no trouble believing that XXX were left overs from Antenna and/or Rythmeen.

One thing for sure, no one would think this is anybody BUT ZZ Top (and thats a very good thing).

A good find for $6 plus shipping (brand new and sealed).

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Hey Kevin, you didn't mention that there were also 4 live tracks on XXX.

Way Cool! Live Top is always Good Top!

Really like Sinpusher (Pincushion with new lyrics), and the dude that does the live intro sure sounds like the dude that did the intro in Albuquerque. The liner notes also credit Jeff Beck with a vocal on Mr. Millionaire. Hummm. I always thought he had some OTHER talent besides singing?

Anyway, a very cool bonus, IMHO.

And I see now that XXX was last of the troika of Antenna, Rythmeen, and XXX. So, maybe they were unused tracks. They sure sound like they could have come from those sessions.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
E-bay.

But Kevin actually paid on $5.99 for his, that scoundrel:D

Of course, you do need add $3 for shipping, but I still thought the price was reasonable.

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
BGL- Hee, hee. :)

Yeah, but I thought that intro was kind of wack. "The ZZ Tops" !

Actually, I was kind of bummed in that the live stuff on XXX wasn't quite as good as Fandango. Maybe my expectations were too high...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks