What's new

Zone 2 with A/B Switch? (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can hep me, or point me in the right direction.

I have a receiver (Pioneer SC-1523-K) with powered 2nd zone.

I want to run zone 2 across the house into a bathroom, or hallway (not sure which yet).

I also want to put an ipod/iphone dock (lightning) in the same room/area, so that if I want to play music from my ipod OR from the receiver, I can switch back and forth.

I'm guessing I'd need to run my zone 2 output to some sort of switching box.
Source 1 = receiver and Source 2 = ipod dock.

Then from this source switch, out to speakers.

Is there something I can do for this type of setup that doesn't require additional receiver/amp/premap?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dumb question(note I never tried with the 79 either...so even I don't know)...

Does the Airplay not work over Zone 2? (there aren't many AVR where Airplay works over Zone 2...and this would be the least expensive)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I'm not sure... I don't have the adapter to test it. I can call Pioneer support to find out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If Airplay will work over Zone 2...that saves an enormous step.

If all "else fails"...you could get a bluetooth analog adapter(or an older ATV Gen 1 with analog...that would also help).

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I spoke to support. It will work, but zone 2 is 60' away, not 30'. So this option wouldn't be reliable.

What type of bluetooth analog adapter? I googled it, but not sure what to look for.

The idea behind this is to easily use my phone to either dock or bluetooth the audio from my phone to the speakers.

So the A/B source switch would work, but I can't find anything for the dock...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
(Keeping in mind I know "essentially nothing" of AirPlay)...

How is the "feet away"* relevant?

If your ipod(iPhone/iPad) is on the same network...all you have to be is "home".

If you are using powered Zone 2. 60 feet of speaker wire is nothing.

*By the way. I've been playing with an Onkyo NR807 with the remote app(OnkyTroller). As long as the phone is on the network...I have access to anything. Granted Onkyo doesn't do "net/digital" Zone.

But I am jamming Pandora from the center of the house while taking phone calls. Muting(or pausing) via the phone. I was just getting my 4th cup of coffee...

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought air play was Bluetooth. If it is actually WiFi, then that would be great. My receiver will be wired to my wifi router.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AirPlay is on your network. If the Airplay works in Zone 2...you don't need anything(other than an "other end" speaker switch. Technically you don't need that with Zone 3).

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Sorry about the delay... I went home Friday and tested AirPlay. It is a great feature. Simple to use and setup.

Setting up the receiver's 2nd zone, was not so easy though, but I got it working.

Once I set the receiver to have 'zone 2', zone 1 sounded like it lost a lot of power.I had to raise the volume to 0.0db to get the same level I was getting at around -14db.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
The receiver gives me the following options, but I don't know if it makes sense to bi-amp it? The receiver has options for it, but I don't know if it will improve anything.

5.2 channel surround system & Front Bi-amping connection (High quality surround) & ZONE 2 connection
(Multi Zone)

5.2 channel surround system & ZONE 2/ZONE 3 connection (Multi Zone)

5.2 channel surround system & Speaker B Bi-amping connection

5.2 channel surround system & Front and Surround Bi-amping connection (High quality surround)

5.2 channel surround system & Front and Center Bi-amping connection (High quality surround

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
erew99 said:
Once I set the receiver to have 'zone 2', zone 1 sounded like it lost a lot of power.I had to raise the volume to 0.0db to get the same level I was getting at around -14db.
The AVR, any AVR, only has a finite amount of power it can generate. Divy that up 5 ways...then 7(you have up to nine) you drop power per channel.

-14 to 0 seems odd though...but not uncalled for.

Pioneer doesn't list a maximum power rating off the wall(might be in the manual).

Forget bi-amping.

You might want to find out if the Airplay works over the Zone 2 pre-out(I would assume so...but you never know...it might be restricted to self-powered)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I don't see anything in the manual. I've searched for power, rms, watt, and rating... nothing.

I figured it would drop some, but the odd thing is that even if I turn the zone off, the power seems to remain the same.

It use use the 'bi-amp' option (even though I'm not really doing it) the power seems to be there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And I'm referring to "maximum power sucked off the wall".If that AVR could produce 135x9, it would suck more power off the wall than a 1200W microwave.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I think I had it set to Normal, but speaker A/B were bi-amp. I changed it 5.2/zone2/zone3, but turned off zone 2 and 3.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you do decide you are "lacking power"(which is legit...for anybody...cause gee, you got an AVR covering 9 channels...)

You have pre-outs. Then you could get a 2 channel for the main 2...or even a 3 channel(adding in center) and leave the AVR to power surround/Zone2/Zone3.

Now here is an interesting idea...and wonder if there is "set-up" for this...

The ability to tell the AVR it is no longer responsible for LR and center...so you can use the onboard power "all the time" for Zone 2/3.

I know it can do it the other way...

Zone 2/3 full time on external power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks