What's new

Zombie Movie Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the original Dawn of the Dead for the first time. Loved it! In fact, I may like it better than the original...is that heretical?

Colton

Supporting Actor
Chris Atkins said:
for the first time. Loved it! In fact, I may like it better than the original...is that heretical?
Huh? You watched the original, but you like it better than the original? Did you mean to say you watched the 2004 remake (Zack Snyder/Director) and liked it better than the original DOTD? If so, I agree.
- Colton

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Colton said:
Huh? You watched the original, but you like it better than the original? Did you mean to say you watched the 2004 remake (Zack Snyder/Director) and liked it better than the original DOTD? If so, I agree.
I think he means after watching the original Dawn Of The Dead for the first time, he finds himself liking it better than the original (first film in the series), Night Of The Living Dead. If that's the case, I agree.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've compiled the following list of zombie flicks I've reviewed for this thread. Some ratings have been revised.
This list can also be seen in my first post in this thread and that one will be kept updated for your reference.
Bone Sickness *1/2
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things **
Dead Meat ***
The Grapes of Death ***
Homecoming ***
I Was a Zombie for the FBI **
King of the Zombies **
Land of the Dead ***
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie ***
The Living Dead Girl **1/2
The Mad Ghoul **
The Night of the Hunted ***1/2
Night of the Living Dead (1968) ***1/2
The Plague of the Zombies ***
Redneck Zombies **
The Reincarnation of Isabel *1/2
Return of the Living Dead Part II **
Shock Waves **1/2
The Stink of Flesh **1/2
Street Zombies *
They Came Back ***1/2
Uncle Sam **1/2
Undead **1/2
Zombiegeddon *1/2
Zombie Honeymoon ***
Zombie Night *1/2

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It was mentioned before. But, Robert Kirkman's comic "Walking Dead" would be perfect for a HBO/Showtime tv series.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Versus - Disappointing yakuza/zombie flick pits an escaped con/reincarnated warrior against a yakuza boss/immortal badguy who is scheming to open a portal to the "other side" in a mysterious forest. Something like that anyway. The zombies here are not really central to the story - they show up, get their asses kicked and that's it. Follow that with interminable fights between the hero and villain and....ah, screw it.
** out of ****
Goreometer rating: ** out of ****

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
SteveGon said:
- Disappointing yakuza/zombie flick pits an escaped con/reincarnated warrior against a yakuza boss/immortal badguy who is scheming to open a portal to the "other side" in a mysterious forest. Something like that anyway. The zombies here are not really central to the story - they show up, get their asses kicked and that's it. Follow that with interminable fights between the hero and villain and....ah, screw it.
** out of ****
Goreometer rating: ** out of ****
Sounds a bit like the laughable movie Christopher was trying to get made during the most run of The Sopranos.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Night of the Living Dead (1990) - Revisited the Tom Savini-directed/George Romero-scripted remake of Romero's horror classic. In retrospect, this is one of the better remakes from the last couple of decades. Sure it lacks the disturbing nihilism and suspense of the original, but it still bests much of the competition.
*** out of ****
Goreometer rating: **1/2 out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Graveyard Alive: A Zombie Nurse in Love - Here's an odd Canadian b-flick that emulates the monster movies of the fifties and sixties. After being bitten by a patient - a man with an axe stuck in his head - the world's frumpiest nurse finally begins to flower. Unfortunately she discovers that she's also turning into a zombie with a hunger for human flesh! Can she be stopped before her romantic trysts create more of the undead? Plays out better than it sounds, but still only middling fare - the film is too concerned with artifice at times to be totally successful (though it does pick up at the end as an unlikely heroine fights to save the day). Weird note: this was apparently shot as a silent film, but was then dubbed in post production.
** out of ****
Goreometer rating: **1/2 out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Forgot to mention earlier that I just read Ultimate Fantastic Four 30-32, a three-issue story arc that chronicles the fate of the other-dimensional, zombified Fantastic Four (who chow down on many the Baxter Building scientist before being dispatched by...well, that'll have to be a surprise). You also get to see the Human Torch give birth to a Lovecraftian God! :crazy:
htf_imgcache_619.jpeg

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Day of the Dead - Revisited George Romero's third zombie opus. This isn't on par with Night and Dawn, but it's still an above average zombie flick (albeit with some clunky dialogue and a spotty score).
*** out of ****
Goreometer rating: **** out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Boy Eats Girl - Amiable Irish teen zombie comedy (there's a sub genre for ya) about a guy who just can't get up enough nerve to ask out the girl he loves. Then he's accidentally killed and his mother revives him with a voodoo reanimation spell. Unfortunately something goes wrong and he finds himself hungering for human flesh - not to mention spreading a plague of zombies after biting the school bully! No classic by any stretch of the imagination, but enjoyable if you're in the mood for something silly. At the very least it answers the age old question of who would win in a fight between zombies and a tractor decked out with nasty earth-moving implements!
** out of ****
Goreometer rating: ***1/2 out of ****

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I loooove zombie movies.
SteveGon said:
- silly, early forties B-movie about a mad scientist on a tropical island creating zombies for the Axis war effort. An enjoyable trifle.
** out of ****
Goreometer rating: zero out of ****
I got this in a multi-set. I thought it was real funny (and PIC to boot). Worth an accational look.
I tried to find some not mentioned in your list. I plan to read this whole thread later....
House. Big tall zombie.
House 2. I don't remember much about it.
Creepshow. Savini zombies.
Re-animator. Here kitty, kitty!
Night of the Comet. Chasing 80s chicks!
Hysterical. "What difference does it make". Love the eyebrows!!
I Bury the Living. Everyone should see this. Great film!
Messiah of Evil. Cheese! But fun cheese. Kind of creepy too.
Pet Sematary. Bad movie that should be featured on MST4K if they have a MST4K someday.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Welcome to the thread Radioman! Hope to see some more posts from you. :)
I've seen all from your list with the exception of Messiah of Evil - might have to check that one out. I've got some stuff in my Netflix queue that I haven't seen and I'll be revisiting some of the classics so look for more additions soon!

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, I recently watched "I,Zombie" released under Fangoria's imprint. I'd never heard of it and actually still haven't other than owning it. I got it at a pawn shop and gave it a spin. I thought it was really cool. It's about a guy, (a writer I think), who gets bitten and documents his own downward spiral into the undead. It's pretty introspective for the most part, but I think that helps make the gory parts that appear in that film more realistic and effective. It's also got an interesting commentary track that reveals a lot about the trials and tribulations of low budget film making. I'd say it's one of the better blind buys I've made. If I was going to rate it I'd give it a B+. Not one of the all time greats, but effective and interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks