What's new

Zodiac - Due 7/24/07 (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Without a doubt - my favorite movie of the year so far. Goodness, this is the movie I WANT to see special features on.

I just wish they would announce and release the specs on the special edition the same day so people like me who want the best version don't have to fret as much.

Needless to say, I would definately recommend this film to anyone who has not seen it yet.

ry

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Ouch! What will it say? "Haha, you should have waited!"? :D

Thanks for the heads up. Although, given the bare bones state of this release it wasn't hard to figure out. :)

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for posting Mr Prior! I hope you and Fincher will be replicating the amount of content in the Panic Room SE... Whilst I assume there'll either be a longer cut or plenty of deleted scenes and no doubt in-depth detail on the factual events, please don't forget the film-making process itself. Panic Room was exemplary in this regard. I think it only appropriate that the Zodiac SE be the first dvd to cover tapeless HD workflow too...

Two discs for the film (if it's a longer cut) and two discs of extras should cover it...

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Watched this today on DVD. Was as good as I remember except the transfer blows. Jagged lines and moire aplenty. I hope the SE looks better. A film this great needs to look it.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
So, was there an announcement? I'm taking my sealed one-disc back because I want the best and longest version possible for my favorite flick of the year! ;0

Ryan

Haden

Supporting Actor
Ha... a trailer for the better DVD on the existing DVD? That's a new one. Glad I knew about this in advance before buying the current release.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Watched it again over the weekend and was amazed again by the unbelievable pacing of this film. Not only given the length of the movie, but the subject matter. This really is a character piece, not a "whodunnit", tracking the lives of these people and of the SF Bay Area.

I don't have a big TV so the transfer didn't bother me. Also, if by some chance the SE contains the longer cut only, it will be nice to have the theatrical for the archives.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to producer David Prior, the theatrical cut is not going to be on the SE. As you pointed out, the pacing of the movie is great and (fortunately) the director's cut will probably keep that pace because it is rumored to only be six minutes longer.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
'Digital Workflow Featurette'

Thank you Messrs Fincher and Prior!!

Pleased to see Fincher has provided a solo commentary too.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm glad that I held out for this version. Does anyone know how long the director's cut will be? I saw one post where somebody claimed that it's only 5 minutes longer. If so, I definitely don't have a use for the theatrical cut.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That makes sense with the British rating info that listed it as running 5 or 6 minutes longer. While I've seen people say that the director's cut runs three hours, I think that info just came from someone that was rounding up the run time and it was turned it gospel.

I'm sure 'only' adding five minutes will upset some people but the movie works great at its current run time so another five minutes of good material will actually improve the movie. I'll take that any day of the week rather than putting every scene back in because the studio thinks that more scenes always makes a better movie and more scenes will help them sell it a second time.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"While I've seen people say that the director's cut runs three hours, I think that info just came from someone that was rounding up the run time and it was turned it gospel."

Fincher had final cut, but was asked to cut it down and he agreed, saying he would put those scenes and recut the film back the way he originally wanted in a eventual DVD(well, that didnt happen).

We wont know until later, but Finchers preferred version was 3 hours and 8 minutes. He also claimed the cuts he had to make were hard to do/painful, becuase he really preferred the longer version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks