What's new

Zelda: Twilight Princess Delayed to Spring 2006 (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This is horrifically bad news, at least for Nintendo's next quarter. If they knew they had to bail on the Holiday season, they should have had a game ready to take the limelight. Now they have bupkes.

Zelda is always worth the wait, but this really sucks.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Gamecube is gonna tank this Christmas, most likely. Thats too bad.

Even worse, Reuters says the GBMicro will be $100. Whats the deal with Nintendo? :thumbsdown:

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

With the GBA SP at $80 and the DS dropping in price to $130 this week, how can Nintendo reasonably justify the $100 asking price of the GBMicro?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm glad that they didn't force a release anyway, and are at least waiting until the game is finished before getting it out the door. After all, who says that your AAA game has to release in November? Didn't Wind Waker come out in March?

Hopefully there'll be a preorder deal that's as sweet as the OOT offer with WW though (maybe a compilation disc that actually includes Link to the Past?)

Nintendo is just going to rely on their DS lineup for Christmas this year. Aren't the new SMB and Mario & Luigi supposed to be out this year?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the corporate strategy should be much of a concern for us.

I'm bummed for no Zelda this November, but it will still be here in less than a year and it will be amazing, so I'm okay.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Time for a rant on Nintendo:

Yea, I'm sure the delay will be worth the wait, but does this ever suck for GameCube owners and Nintendo enthusiasts. This will be the second holiday season in a row where I will have no GameCube title on my list. Not only that, but there still isn't a game on the DS that has made the purchase worth my while. How about instead of investing man hours and resources in the the GameBoy Micro, having a top notch game delivered in time for the holiday season?

Nintendo has completly shot themselves in the foot this time folks. All we heard about for the past two years is how Nintendo will beat it's competitors to released the next generation system. Then that turned into them releasing the Revolution around the same time as their competition. Now with three months until the release of X Box 360 and about 6-7 months away from the PS3, we haven't seen a single screenshot (minus the 5 second video of Metroid Prime 3) of Nintendo's supposed Revolution. Guess what? I'm not expecting it until Fall/Winter 2006. Since there hasn't been an exclusive GameCube title worth buying since Resident Evil 4, and their won't be another until Zelda sometime in 2006, my money is going to their competitors.

I know a lot of this is subject to my opinion, but my disappointment in this company has only grown higher and higher ever since they delayed RE 4 to after the New Year.

I'd be happy to eat crow on this one, but from where I sit this will be a turning point in the downfall of Nintendo.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
ever since the PSP, my Ds and Gamecube have been collecting dust, rotting away.

I especially hate the DS system, game wise, since thier release of games seems to be for a target audience of 5 years old.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

It's a Nintendo handheld, what the heck did you expect?? Did you look at future release lists when you bought it?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I played a demo of Kirby: Canvas Curse and it looked fun.

How many people here watch Disney movies? Aren't those aimed at 5-year-olds? You can still enjoy it.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, so much for holding onto my Cube. Mine has also been collecting dust since RE4 and I am thinking of gettng rid of it before the bottom drops out of the market for them. Although RE4 was stellar, overall, the Cube has been pretty much a waste of my money. And I didn't really care for the last Zelda game anyway, all that sailing killed it for me.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Funny, I have three consoles, a GBA, a GameCube, and a PS2, and the PS2 gets by far the least playtime. The Cube has played host to some of the best games I've ever played, including Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, andSuper Smash Bros. Melee. It also has quite a few other great but not legendary games Zelda Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime 2 (there was your killer game for last year Brian, although you weren't the only person to miss it in the hype for Halo 2), Killer7, and quite a few others. Even my GBA, the Nintendo handheld, has provided massive amounts of pleasure with such great titles as three Castlevanias (ok, Harmony of Dissonance wasn't great, but Circle of the Moon was very good and Aria of Sorrow fantastic), Mario Golf, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Metroids Zero Mission and Fusion, and others. And for what it's worth, Nintendo didn't delay RE4 to after New Year's. That was Capcom's decision, as they were the developers.

The PS2? I've had good times with it. I love the Ratchet and Clank series, Jak and Daxter had its moments, God of War was great for the first 2/3 before falling flat on its face towards the end, and other good games, but I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much.

PSP? I have an iPod, homebrew doesn't interest me that much, and the released games for it are thin. The only must have game for the PSP right now is Lumines. If you're into racing games you can add Wipeout and/or Ridge Racer. There are other good games, but the above are the system sellers. The DS? Meteos, Advance Wars, WarioWare, and Nintendogs are already out and have garnered outstanding reviews across the board. There's a new Castlevania coming, along with an internet capable Mario Kart, a new Viewtiful Joe, internet enabled Animal Crossing, and internet enabled Metroid Prime. There are plenty of very good reasons to own a PSP, but as a handheld running commercial software, as of right now the DS is handing the PSP its ass on a silver platter and that doesn't look to change any time soon. I'll be getting a DS by the end of September, but the PSP has a lot of catching up to do before I even consider getting one.

This delay sucks, but it's the right move. Zelda Wind Waker was a great game with some absolutely brilliant moments, but it had numerous deep-set flaws. Most of those were caused by the game being rushed to market to make a set ship date. Restore the three missing dungeons, up the difficulty, and reorganize the ocean some, especially to eliminate the end-game fetch quest, and you have one of the greatest games of all time. As it is, you instead have a second tier GameCube game where it had the potential to be one of the best games of all time. From what I've seen thus far of Twilight Princess, it's correcting a lot of Wind Waker's missteps, as well as adding extra layers of stuff Wind Waker couldn't accomplish. This is the game that I have picked to pass Ocarina of Time as the best Zelda game yet and therefore one of the greatest ever.

Especially with the REvolution being backwards compatible, in 5 years when we're still playing Twilight Princess a 6 month delay will mean nothing, while rushing the game to market means it would be forgotten far faster.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that if it takes them another 6 months or a year to make the game great, then by all means, delay it. That doesn't make the wait any easier but the end result will be better.

I think the main problem is how early we hear about games. When I was younger, I didn't know about Link To The Past coming out until it was a few months from release. Nowadays you see a video of an awesome looking game that's going to be released by next year's holiday season. You wait and wait and then it gets delayed. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread