Zelda bundle confirmed

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jean-Michel, Nov 4, 2003.

1. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

The Metroid situation is a different kind of animal. I mean, it's a game, we knew it was coming, etc, etc, etc. All systems usually offer some sort of bundled type projects. But, this offer now is so different. The disc is sort of a "spur-of-the-moment" type of project it seems. I don't mind that others who do not own a Cube will get theirs free with a Cube. I think it's great for them and for Nintendo. But it shouldn't be an adventure and chore for us to get one.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

You know what-I really don't care. If you think about it, most of us probably have the ocarina of time disc from WW (which has the master quest that this new disc is missing). I also noticed that Link to the Past is conspicuously absent from the game list (buy it on GBA though!), making it a far from complete package. Finally, I still have my copies of Zelda, Link, Link to the Past, Ocarina of time, and Majora's Mask, as well as the working consoles to play em on. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, so why all the complaining about not being able to get the same old games a second (or third) time?

4. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Exactly Jean-Michel.

6. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland
    Romier,

Cute gif.

The issue is the overall marketing strategy Nintendo has decided to adopt. While it may pay off in the present, it will irrevocably harm them in the future.

Think about it logically; Both X-Box and PS2 had price drops, and though PS2 gave away the (mediocre and outdated GT3) there was a free game, when did they give away A-list titles at the same time they were going for a premium on the shelves? Certainly there was an incentive to wait, but those that wanted the system didn't feel slighted that they had jumped on right away. Same with X-Box.

But what about the GC? I bought one the week it came out. Fine. But what if you were a person who bought it a month before the first price drop, or the first promotion with free games? You'd feel very upset. And then there was another promotion. And now the Zelda deal. That, in the long term, is going to dissuade the average purchaser from making an investment, since "Nintendo always brings along a better deal in a year." We hardcores will always buy on fast, you're right. But this marketing strategy isn't ingraining a sense of brand loyalty, instead it's driving a wedge between Nintendo and its fanbase, the very people who, as has been mentioned time and again, would be most apt to buy a GC for this Zelda package. I earnestly feel this is a symptom of a larger woe in the Nintendo organization that they are failing to address; they are selling units now, at a reduced cost with greater perks that are costing them more, and alienating thier fanbase.

Now I'm not a marketing guru, I'm just the guy who makes marketing work. And let me tell you, if I continually screwed my listeners, they wouldn't come back. The problem is that you're confusing the early adopter/Nintendo Enthusiast with the regular gamers. That's where the money is. But again, it's all my own opinion. I'm going to go play Viewtiful Joe. [​IMG]

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I dunno, I think Nintendo have done the right thing here for a change - they've given existing owners methods to getting hold of this disc, associating it with their key in-house games for this Christmas (and has been said many times, it's Nintendo's own games that make up the majority of software sales for the machine), and giving them an alternative mehtod through the Nintendo Power subscription.

I was expecting them to NOT offer either scheme & stick with it being a pure bundle offer. In different times, that's what they would have done...

If people genuinely feel they're being screwed over by pricedrops & bundles, well, there's really no great time to ever buy a console, is there? Early adopters are always going to pay a premium for getting the latest & greatest hardware, and prices are always going to drop to increase sales/market share as costs get cut & marketing gets desperate [​IMG] It's a fact of life in this market, and it's not going to change - it's not just consoles, look at the reduction in cost of HDTVs for example.

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

You know, I was going to respond to Justin's remarks, but Romier and everyone else have done such a good and thorough job of rebuking him, that I find no need to add much of anything at all!

I will say this though. Justin, don't look at its as if you have to buy a subscription to Nintendo Power to get the disc. Instead, look at it like you're paying $20 to get the game, and the subscription is free.

10. Andre_L

Andre_L Auditioning

So what you're all saying is if i subscribe to NP, I will get the disc?? 1 year, 2 year or 3 year?? does it make a difference??

--Yes, i don't post on here often enough. lmao.. great board though

11. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland

12. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

13. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I think they should just slap $14.95 on the bad boy and put it on the shelves. Done deal. I hate rigamaroo. [​IMG]

I have no problems with bundles, price drops, etc. That's just the nature of the business.

14. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They're trying to get people to buy their stuff. It's a bonus for buying their products. Its incentive. No biggie, IMO.

16. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Stunt Coordinator

It'll probably be all over Ebay a week after the bundle comes out. Look in your local classifieds, people will probably be selling these things off, or check local game stores, as they might sell them seperately.

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm likely to consider Nintendo Power (though I don't specifically want it) because of the "while supplies last" angle. I'll be getting Mario Kart : Double Dash!! soon enough, but 1080 doesn't arrive until the program has been running for 2 weeks.

18. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland
    Well, I pissed. I moaned. But on the first day it was offered, I subscribed to Nintendo Power to get my Zelda. I feel dirty. [​IMG]

19. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Another new Nintendo Power subscriber here. But having all the Zelda titles on the Cube is worth it. I hope they cleaned up MM like they did for the OoT bonus disc.

Maybe if this disc and the Mega Man Collection do well more classic games will show up in compilations for the GC.

JQ

20. Mike Blais

Mike Blais Stunt Coordinator

picked a replacement cube up this morning, can't wait to play zelda tonight!