Zeffirelli's ROMEO AND JULIET 6/12 in France

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Andrew Budgell, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
  2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Price is a bit steep. I think I'll hold off (as much as I really want a Blu of this), as Warner Bros might release it in the foreseeable future.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

This is one of my most-wanted, all-time favorite films (and soundtracks). I first saw it on re-release paired with, of all things, Let the Good Times Roll in 1973, followed by repertory screenings thereafter. But I'd been listening to the soundtrack LP since it came out, the one with the dialogue from the film..

Anyhow, there hasn't been inkling of a blu-ray release from either Paramount or Warner Brothers. I had hoped Criterion would oversee a transfer and blu-ray release because they'd do it right. Pricey though it is, I can't wait to see Romeo & Juliet in hi-definition. I'll buy the French blu.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Hopefully the road show.

PMF likes this.
  5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Why? Is there a difference?

6. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I wasn't aware there was a roadshow version...

7. Escapay

Escapay Stunt Coordinator

Albert Gutierrez
    The DVD contains the intermission card, which I thought was odd given the film's 138-minute running time. Could that be what RAH is referring to?

I'm starting Romeo & Juliet with my students next week (gotta love R&J season), so I'll likely be watching scenes from this film multiple times for the next five weeks or so. We primarily read and analyze the text, but I'll sometimes treat them to a key scene so they can see how the words would truly be performed.

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Intermission, and as I recall, a short entr'acte.

RAH

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

This is the performance you want your students to hear:

R&J.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DR9R/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I've listened to, watched and even participated in many performances of this play over the years but I've never heard it delivered with such in-the-moment down-to-earth conviction. It doesn't sound like arhcaic language because the actors are calling upon emotions that everyone can relate to. The idea is to play it real. Zefferelli had a gift for Shakespeare and it's a shame he only directed three dramatic adaptations ( I don't count the opera ). Before this film, actors emphasized the poetry and musicality of the lines. Zefferelli did away with that, and the poetry comes across anyow.

Nina Rota's soundtrack CD is sensational, too.

R&Jmusic.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000025LBZ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

10. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The album you refer to above was actually the severely truncated (40m) score with blocks of dialog, and was the one that sold a kazillion copies in 1968. For class study, it is not very suitable. There was a subsequent release (also on Capital Records, as seen in this link) that was a 4-disc and contained the entire soundtrack, dialog and all. Of course, such a (originally quite expensive) set is really pretty much moot in these days of DVD's... why not just show the movie, or at least play the soundtrack for the class from the video?

Anyway, I am glad these MIA Paramount films are getting released, regardless of where or by whom.

http://www.amazon.com/Juliet-Complete-Picture-Soundtrack-Zeffirelli/dp/B00138TWKC/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1365031800&sr=1-6&keywords=romeo+and+juliet+%281968%29

11. PMF

PMF Supporting Actor

Philip
    Has anyone bought the import blu ray of Romeo and Juliet?

At this point, it amazes me that we haven't seen a BD version of this film produced by a Twilight or a Criterion.

RAH gave the import a 3.75 rating on the image. At this point, I'm about to give in until a better edition comes out.

So...is the import worth the give or take 30 bucks?

Hopefully, there are some HTF members who have actually seen this particular import on BD; as I would be eager to gain their insights, as well.

- PMF

Radioman970 likes this.
  12. ABaglivi

ABaglivi Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    I bought the Japanese edition a while back. I do not think it is the roadshow referenced above, but it does run 138 minutes (Region A).

13. PMF

PMF Supporting Actor

Philip
    Concerning the Japanese import; you still did not mention what your impressions were, concerning the BD's IMAGE quality. Please expand.

14. ABaglivi

Anthony
    The color is vivid and close to what I remember of my IB 16 print. Resolution is mostly very sharp with some shots on the gauzy side; but that was probably intentional. I would not rate it A+ by today's transfer standards, but it is very pleasing to watch and an upgrade from the DVD. Currently, Amazon is listing an all-region blu from Sweden (sold by DaaVeeDee, fulfilled by Amazon) for $32 and change.

15. PMF

PMF Supporting Actor

Philip
    Thank you...this comes close to what I was envisioning from RAH's review.

As there seems to be no word on the street about an American BD release, I guess an upgrade from an import will quench my thirst for the time being.

It's such a beautiful work of cinematography long withheld from home theater; along with "Ryan's Daughter".

- PMF

16. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

I don;t think you'd need to pay $30 for the Bluray. Amazon.de has it for a little more than $11 shipped std shipping, Japan for $20-22. I think all the releases pretty much share the smae transfer. Even if you had to pay fast shipping which I think Amazon JP uses by default I think it would arrive by the end of the week and cheaper than the 3rd party Amazon.com

I think I paid about $10-12 for mine from Australia a year or so ago.

17. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    There is never a reason to pay the DaaVeeDee ridiculous markup. Unless you have an aversion to waiting 10-20 days for it to arrive from overseas.

18. ABaglivi

Anthony
    I agree. Just today I ordered A Foreign Affair from Amazon Germany for $17 shipped. DaaVeeDee sells it on Ebay for $28.99. I only mentioned the disc from Sweden because it was region free and readily available.

19. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

The film has been restored in 4K so a good BD and hopefully UHD will be available soon.

20. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Something devoutly to be wished. Romeo, and Taming, have some of the most sumptuous cinematography of the era.

RAH

PMF and Ken Koc like this.