What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A Batman / Superman team up movie now redefines definition of 'bad timing' for both characters given the state of their current respective movie incarnations.

A Superman movie that ends with Metropolis flattened and no repercussions and a new Batman that replaces the Nolan one with no setup.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I've just never understood why the idea of Superman and Batman teaming up gets people excited. Superman doesn't need Batman's help. I'd much rather see a straight up MoS sequel.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How does it work geographically to merge the two characters' worlds? Aren't Gotham City and Metropolis symbolic substitutions for the same space (i.e. New York City)?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Malcolm R said:
How does it work geographically to merge the two characters' worlds? Aren't Gotham City and Metropolis symbolic substitutions for the same space (i.e. New York City)?
On,y in the same way that Oakland and San Fran are the same city.Metropolis and Gotham are essentially across a bay from each other.On most "maps" Gotham is basically somewhere in south Jersey and Metropilos is somewhere on the Delaware bay in the state of Delaware.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
On "Smallville", Metropolis is visible from Smallville, which is clearly in Kansas, putting Metropolis in Kansas too. That never made sense to me. Gotham City alternates between being New York and Chicago, depending on whether the story calls for a shoreline. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Malcolm R said:
One of the things that's always bugged me about DC comics stuff is the multitude of fictional cities. But regardless of being fictional, they've always been their own separate cities in the DC Universe as far as I can remember.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
How is MAN OF STEEL performing at the box-office in relation to its budget?

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Freddie Zaragoza
Will most likely end with less than $300M domestic and $700M total wordwide. Yeah, not the one billion dollar smash most fanboys were predicting, hence Batman to the rescue!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Freddie Z said:
Will most likely end with less than $300M domestic and $700M total wordwide. Yeah, not the one billion dollar smash most fanboys were predicting, hence Batman to the rescue!
As of now, it's the third highest grossing movie of the year (domestic and worldwide) and I agree with your estimation of making about $700 million worldwide. That total would put it somewhere near or into the 50 highest grossing movies ever made. Anyone that expected this movie to make a $1 billion (a feat which 16 movies in history have managed) doesn't know what they're talking about.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
TravisR said:
Given its gross, I think it's fair to say that the bulk of the audience doesn't agree with you or it would have made much less than what it did.
I can't help it that the bulk of the audience is wrong.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TravisR said:
Given its gross, I think it's fair to say that the bulk of the audience doesn't agree with you or it would have made much less than what it did.
That's assuming people don't walk out of a movie (after they've paid their admission) and decide they don't like the film. It's happened to me a time or two (just this summer!). The box office doesn't record satisfaction, just filled seats.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
That's assuming people don't walk out of a movie (after they've paid their admission) and decide they don't like the film. It's happened to me a time or two (just this summer!). The box office doesn't record satisfaction, just filled seats.
Sure but a movie doesn't become one of the 50 or 60 biggest grossing movies ever made because there was a majority of people saying "What a piece of shit!" as they left the theater. Movies that have bad word of mouth don't become the third highest grossing movie of the year. I'm not talking about the quality of the movie, I'm purely talking about how much the average viewer liked it and based on its gross, I think it's very fair to say that many people liked it.

To give another example, the Twilight movies made a ton of money. The ones I've seen are terrible but I can all but guarantee that the audiences that saw those movies, enjoyed them.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sam Favate said:
It's telling that there have been more comments in this thread speculating about the box office receipts and what they will mean for the future of the franchise rather than expressing any genuine enthusiasm for the movie itself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SD_Brian said:
It's telling that there have been more comments in this thread speculating about the box office receipts and what they will mean for the future of the franchise rather than expressing any genuine enthusiasm for the movie itself.
There's another 11 page thread that where the movie was discussed. Once that thread started, this one just sorta turned into a talk about its box office gross.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks