What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Quentin said:
I don't think Sam said he'd get past it...just that Zimmer's theme sounds promising. And, it does. You don't get "past" Williams' Superman score. It lasts forever.
Yes indeed. William's score for Superman is probably my favorite thing he has ever done, and that's saying a lot, since he has produced more memorable movie music than just about anyone I can think of.

That said, I am glad Zimmer went in a different direction, and that his music appears at least - based on the little we have heard - to be something worthwhile.

But John Williams' 1978 score for Superman: The Movie will very likely remain my favorite of all time.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Saw the trailer for this in front of Star Trek:ID. How many times can they tell the same origin story before it gets old. I saw him come out in the cape and what immediately came to mind was Edna Mold saying, "No capes" and then explaining why. For me, Bird's Incredibles totally ruined the idea of Superheroes wearing capes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
How many times can they tell the same origin story before it gets old.
I'm sure I've said it before but I'd say that in all of human history, only the figures of the world's major religions have better known 'origin stories' than Superman.

The funniest part is that a huge part of the budget must have gone to Krypton and the origin so when the movie is deemed a financial dissapointment (if only because they spent an idiotic amount of money on it), they'll still wonder why they didn't turn a profit.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I expect the Krypton and Kent Farm scenes to be told in flashback moments while he's off in the world being anonymous. I highly doubt they will be linear or have anything close to the screen time of Superman '78. Historically, Jonathan Nolan really doesn't write stories with completely linear narratives.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I won't go so far as to say it won't turn a profit, until the opening day numbers come in. Who knows, maybe they will manage to make the story interesting enough or visually appealing enough for it to be a hit. While watching the trailer I couldn't help but think that it was a mistake to tell the origin story yet again. Superman has been around for decades. There are more stories that could told than the one about how he got here and became what he became. The trailer left me a bit cold, but I have never been a big Superman fan. Superman never really interests me because the character is so powerful that, to me, it becomes hard to create a story where the conflict he faces is ever a really credible threat. I prefer The Batman because at least he can bleed.

There were four or five trailers in front of ST:ID and the only one that vaguley made me interested in the film was the one for Elysium and that one kind of reminded me of Zardoz minus the flying god head.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I've only ever seen the '78 film and didn't much care for it. When the '06 film came out I had ZERO interest in seeing it and didn't. I've always chalked all that up to Superman simply not being an interesting character to me. But having seen the trailers for this, I'm actually VERY interested in seeing it. Not sure why, just the trailer overall had me intrigued enough that I'll probably go and see it opening weekend. Trying to curb my expectations though, since I know trailers are MADE to make any movie look good. And Zack Snyder has never impressed me before. I don't hate his films, just don't think they're anything special. I remember Cavill being a very decent young actor in Count of Monte Cristo, and I love Amy Adams. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The featurette also shows interviews with the cast and crew, including stars Amy Adams, Henry Cavill, Michael Shannon and Russell Crowe, as well as director Zack Snyder, writer David S Goyer and producer Charles Roven.
They discuss working on the film and the attempt to ground the film in the real world.
Snyder recently said of Superman that the filmmakers "just tried to make him cool".
Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a485824/man-of-steel-featurette-shows-new-video-footage-battle-of-smallville.html#ixzz2Uo0p07D3

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My biggest concern over how this plays out is the possible notion that somehow a civilian who has hidden and rarely exercised his full capability is going to take on 3 trained soldiers, to whom Superman is just a normal untrained man.

John Doran

Screenwriter
Chuck Anstey said:
My biggest concern over how this plays out is the possible notion that somehow a civilian who has hidden and rarely exercised his full capability is going to take on 3 trained soldiers, to whom Superman is just a normal untrained man.
i suspect that the fact that kal-el will have spent his whole life bathed in the radiation of a yellow sun will play a part: his cells - which are ostensibly solar-batteries - will be...ahem...supercharged, as opposed to those of the newly-terrestrial kryptonians.

or not. it's definitely a good point, though, and i'm hopeful it will have been plausibly covered.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Doesn't Superman train in the fortress of solitude so in effect he is ready for the challenges ahead of him.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I kinda disliked the last trailer I saw for MoS (in front of "The Hangover 3") with the plot points it reveals, just seems like a tired retread of a plotline.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Patrick Sun said:
I kinda disliked the last trailer I saw for MoS (in front of "The Hangover 3") with the plot points it reveals, just seems like a tired retread of a plotline.
I'm getting the same feeling. People like to crap all over Superman Returns for the same reason (and others). MoS may look completely different but, the story has Superman II written all over it. Makes sense though, Returns was basically Supes 1 with Lex using land to cause trouble and now; MoS comes next and the super villains arrive, a la Supes 2. Can't wait for MoS 2 when he gets to fight a computer game and then save the world from nukes, again, in the next one.
Chuck Anstey said:
He'll just use a devices that drains their powers and then push them off a cliff.Is there no one in Hollywood with the guts to do a Brainiac story and kill Superman onscreen?I grew up loving Superman and I mostly enjoyed Returns but, I'm having a hard time getting excited for Man of Steel. It just doesn't feel like Superman yet, IMO. I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks