What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hope Lois Lane won't be as bad as the Kate Bosworth version was. Margot Kidder's version is still a good standard for me. But as this is a totally new Superman, it should be interesting to see where they go with all the characters.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
While that trailer did some to boost my enthusiasm I still really hate the color grading, hopefully the film itself won't be as bad but it looks like 300 with Superman in it, too damn gloomy looking.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/297988/zack-snyders-man-of-steel/390#post_4012479
I hope Lois Lane won't be as bad as the Kate Bosworth version was. Margot Kidder's version is still a good standard for me. But as this is a totally new Superman, it should be interesting to see where they go with all the characters.

I'm hoping that Lois Lane is nothing like Margot Kidder. Lane should be a tough woman who knows what she wants, but not a dumb brassy bitch like Kidder was in those movies. I'd say she was the worst part of the original Superman films.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I know what I said earlier in this thread, that the Zimmer hire ruined my interest in this movie but, I love Superman and had to take a look. I'll admit, the trailer is encouraging. You know what would have put it over the top for me... a hint of Williams' theme at the end. I know, I know, they aren't using it but, it just feels odd seeing Superman and not hearing that music (even Smallville tossed it in the show a handful of times throughout the ten years and during the last shot of the scene). Hearing even a hint of the theme would have shot my excitement up 10 fold. As it stands, Star Trek won the excitement battle this week. The choice of Zimmer as the composer sucks, IMO of course. Oh well, think I've beaten that horse enough. The trailer did bring back some excitement for me that I had lost when Zimmer was announced as the composer.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
I'm hoping that Lois Lane is nothing like Margot Kidder. Lane should be a tough woman who knows what she wants, but not a dumb brassy bitch like Kidder was in those movies. I'd say she was the worst part of the original Superman films.
That's fine. For me Kate Boswoth was a terrible Lane. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There were elements that concerned me, but I loved that the trailer was essentially a meditation on the idea of Superman. The Christ metaphor has been pushed in the past with the character, but what I love here is that it sort of digs into the implications of that: yes, humanity longs for a savior. But we also have a history of murdering our saviors. It's not just a question of whether Clark Kent's willing to become Superman -- it's a question of whether humanity's ready to accept Superman.
Michael Henry said:
THAT is a good lookin Superman...he really looks the part.
What got me was the shot from behind, where we just see the hem of the cape flapping and the red of his boots as he walks across the icy landscape. That one shot instantly said "Superman" in a way that the costume for Superman Returnsnever did. It really pointed out the importance of having the red be a rich vibrant red, and cape being a fabric cape. I do wish the yellow shield was on the back of the cape, and it had the red trunks to balance out all of that blue. But there are so many shots where there's no doubt you're looking at Superman.
Jacinto said:
Tony, I didn't take it as a reflection on Pa's ambivalence to the lives of the other kids, more fear for his own son's well being if his secret were to get out.
I agree. It's not that he doesn't care about the people on the bus, it's that he cares about his adopted son more. This is the first Superman to grow up in the age of the relentless 24-hour news cycle.
Nelson Au said:
I don't think there's been a mainstream Lois Lane portrayal that's gotten the character wrong. Liked Kidder, liked Hatcher, liked Bosworth, I'm sure Adams will do fine.
Inspector Hammer! said:
While that trailer did some to boost my enthusiasm I still really hate the color grading, hopefully the film itself won't be as bad but it looks like 300 with Superman in it, too damn gloomy looking.
I don't think it looks like 300 -- it's WAY more naturalistic looking than that one, I do long for the technicolor pop I associate with the character.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Perhaps that comparison was going too far, maybe because in those underwater shots he resembled Leonidas, but it still has a very Gladiator/Spartacus look and feel to it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jacinto said:
Tony, I didn't take it as a reflection on Pa's ambivalence to the lives of the other kids, more fear for his own son's well being if his secret were to get out. I am really excited for this one -- coming out my birthday weekend!!
I suppose, but it didn't feel like a Pa Kent thing to say for me.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
This trailer did not give me any hope of seeing an Amy Adams nude scene. :D
In all seriousness, I watched the trailer many times today and dragged everyone on my floor into my office to watch it. Reaction was very positive.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Liked the trailer overall. Cinematography about as expected for a Snyder film, but tempered with some naturalism. Cavill looks the part without inviting Chrisopher Reeve comparisons, which is wise. And after the horrific miscasting of Bosworth, Adams is a reassuring presence as Lois...interesting that they didn't seem to darken her hair. The Zimmer music here is repurposed from Gladiator, with some generic grandiose stuff at the end. As with Chris above, the composer is my major source of apprehension...he seems to produce about one good score for every five these days, with the remainder being utterly phoned in. But, no matter what he does here, you know industrious fans are going to replace the whole thing with tracked Williams music the minute this thing hits Blu-ray anyway. :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
As someone who unabashedly loves Superman Returns, but also all things Superman...I got emotional. Fuck. Hate myself.
I actually liked this. The first trailer led to me making a lot of snarky "Cape Of Life" jokes, but I thought this was excellent. I tend to be skeptical of Snyder, but I'm much more enthused about this than I was previously. (That said, I love Watchmen. Goofy music and all. I just wish Fassbender was a thing then, so he could be Veidt.)
And, hey, there's Toby Ziegler! I didn't know Richard Schiff was in this.
Where I come from, we call that a bonus.
(Also, that's the liveliest I've seen Lawrence Fishburne in almost ten years.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
TonyD said:
Pa Kent's response appears to be that of a conflicted father whose only son wants to sign up for something bigger, and something potentially deadly. He seems to be the arbiter of freedom of choice, and the consequences of said choices. Also of being a father who's scared that Uncle Sam will send an army to the farm to take the alien-kid he loves by force (if he's discovered).
He sounds pained (to me) when he says it, and notice that he looks away from Clark (even though Clark isn't looking directly at him), seemingly ashamed of the answer he's giving. I think it's, all told, a very human reaction, and it's made me look forward to Costner's performance in this.
There might also be a, "You can't save everyone all the time, and you have to learn to be OK with that, despite your power"-type message in this. But that's more me projecting/spitballing than anything else.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I think you've described that well, Josh. I also found myself moved by Ma Kent's bit at the beginning to little Clark. I'm guessing his powers are exploding, and suddenly this little scared boy can hear EVERYTHING.
"The world's too big, Mom."
"Then make it small. Focus on my voice... pretend it's an island, out in the ocean."
Imagine for a minute, that Superman is real. Then imagine how difficult it would be to actually have those powers, and also to be the parent of a child with those powers. For some reason, I can't help but feel moved by all of the "little" scenes dealing with that kind of stuff.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
TonyD said:
joshEH said:
There might also be a, "You can't save everyone all the time, and you have to learn to be OK with that, despite your power"-type message in this. But that's more me projecting/spitballing than anything else.
On first viewing, that bit of dialogue struck me as well as something out of character for someone like Pa Kent. After all, Clark's morals and humanity have predominately been attributed to his upbringing by the Kents, who imparted to him their values.
But on further reflection, it seems that perhaps what Kent Snr is getting at is that Clark will not be able save everyone, all the time. There is a deeper lesson here. There will be times when Clark must let go, let things happen, let nature take its course if you will, and this may involve death(s) which he is entirely capable of preventing. After all, for a god-like being like Superman, death or imminent death is never far away. His super hearing will catch all sorts of cries for help - heck, he just needs to turn to any of the cable news networks to see this. There is also the moral hazard of always being there to save human lives, with humans being dependent on Superman to bail them out. I hope the film explores some of these issues at some level. Anyway, we will know better once we view that scene in context.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Lou Sytsma said:
My biggest concern remains Cavill. He was underwhelming in The Immortals. Anyone watch The Tudors? How was he in that?
He was actually quite good. That show was a regular watch in my house for years, and Cavill was one of the best parts of it. Despite a particular bad decision that his character made during the series, he was the only person in the royal court who you could almost always root for. He was loyal even when his heart knew he shouldn't be, something I think would go well with a Superman movie.
The only other thing I know about the guy is that Stephenie Meyer really wanted him to portray Edward in the first Twilight movie, and even mentioned him on her website.
(On a related side-note, Brandon Routh going down as the Lazenby of the Superman flicks is kinda sad.)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I agree RE: Cavill.
He held the moniker of most unlucky actor in Hollywood for a while for parts he just missed being cast for.
I want to be excited for this film, but anything directed by ZS I have very low optimism for because I have yet to be impressed with anything he has directed and his later films are crappier than his earlier ones.
joshEH said:
He was actually quite good. That show was a regular watch in my house for years, and Cavill was one of the best parts of it. Despite a particular bad decision that his character made during the series, he was the only person in the royal court who you could almost always root for. He was loyal even when his heart knew he shouldn't be, something I think would go well with a Superman movie.
The only other thing I know about the guy is that Stephenie Meyer really wanted him to portray Edward in the first Twilight movie, and even mentioned him on her website.
(On a related side-note, Brandon Routh going down as the Lazenby of the Superman flicks is kinda sad.)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I finally had time to view the trailer. When I first heard about another Superman movie being made my first thought was "oh no, not another one". However, after watching this trailer, I will definitely go see it in the theater. This one "seems" very different and I like that. I'm actually excited to see where they take this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by joshEH /t/297988/zack-snyders-man-of-steel/390#post_4012682

Agreed, but at least we get him psuedo-mocking that fate in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I liked the trailer but i really hope we get a Superman that smiles this time, i get the distinct feeling they are going dark on this one, looks like we might get a super villains fight, great, i enjoyed that aspect from Superman 2, they really need to nail the music score though, that will be the big thing for me, if the score is great then it will support the visuals and i have a feeling the visuals will be spectacular and epic in nature, i will miss the John Williams theme though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks