What's new

Z1 versus L200? (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Though this question has been posed in a current thread on the L200, I wanted to give it its own thread, because I would really like to hear people's opinions on this as well (hopefully from people who have seen both projectors in action, but I'll take what I can get.)
In terms of affordable (at or below $1500) 16:9 NON-DLP projectors, it seems to come down between a battle between these two. So any thoughts on the comparitive strengths and/or weaknesses of these two contenders?

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I went with the 1HD (Z1 clone) since it was only $100 more and offered the 1/4th HD resolution. I don't know if it mattered much but it made sense to me for some reason. I'm still waiting for it to arrive this coming Tuesday.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I've heard that the 1/4th HD resolution really does make a positive difference with HD materials. My main interest is DVD usage, although it would be nice to have the better HD option for the future. Thanks for your response Robert - and good luck with your purchase!

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I actually ordered the L200 but during my ordering conversation with the sales rep. (from projectorpeople) I decided to go with the Z1. I hadn't really considered the Z1 (it took me a long time just to decided between the Infocus X1 and the L200.) Anyway I went for the Z1 mostly because the Manu. warranty is 3yr. opposed to 1yr. on the Panny. and I had read that the Z1 rez. was better for HD which was imporatnt to me. The sales rep. was also quite knowledgable and had nothing but praise for the Z1. She said she had seen all 3 projectors side by side and the X1 and L200 didn't stand a chance against the Z1. She basically said that if the Z1 wouldn't make me happy that I needed to be looking in the next price bracket (wasn't going to happen). Ok, I took her statements knowing she's a sales person but she was convincing.

I've had the Z1 for a little over a week and I have to say I'm extremely pleased, especially at the pricepoint. I'll be using a DIY screen (which I'm currently building) so my viewing so far has been projected onto a very large sheet of butcher-type paper and wrinkly blackout cloth I bought for the screen. The only drawback I can see with the Z1 is the screendoor, you can minimize it but it is there. I just have to remind myself not to look for it and all is well. The Z1 produces a very film like, sometimes almost 3D image and the colors are solid and vibrant (no calibration yet) That's at 7ft wide sitting back about 12ft. I'll I know is I'd never be able to go back to my 27" TV.

Hope this helps,

-EJ

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Z1 has direct compontent inputs, has better resolution for HD, has and has a longer warrenty..if price is close get the Z1

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Andrew, or anyone, if HT wasn't the main concern, and DVD viewing was, is there a real diff. between the two FPs? I mean strictly in terms of DVD picture quality...

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
I have the Boxlight(Z1), have never seen the Panny, but for DVD viewing I would think they would be pretty close.

KenBo

Grip
I have found the Z1 for $2100 Canadian, and the L200 for $1350 Canadian. This is probably a silly question but I assume the $1350 is a better deal?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Larry, you should be happy with either machine. I never demoed the Z1, it was more than my budget would allow. I needed to stay with in my 1k budget, the 200u just made it at $1,099.

Over at the ProjectorSuperstore, the 200u is now only $995 at ProjectorPeople the Z1 is $1,399. I'm sure the Z1 can be found for less, but when I bought in, it was about $300 more and I did not need the higher rez for HD.

If the 200u did not work out, I would have waited and saved for up for the Z1, it was the next machine on my list. Needless to say, the 200u worked out and I could not be happier. With my 80" DIY screen at 13' from it, I cannot see screen-door at all, colors are perfect, vibrant and the image is very crisp and sharp, even with a slight defocus of the lens. With the X1 I demoed, it did not retain as sharp an image after a slight defocus.

Hey Eric, do you remember your sales persons name?

Good luck and I look forward to your comments on which PJ you go with.

In case you missed it, HERE is a review by Sound and Vision on the 200u.

The best thing you can do is find a shop that will give you some home demo time and buy different machines to play with for a few days. It's a sizable sum of coin and you don't want to only relay on others opinions, although they do help.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks