What's new

Yup, UV is still a joke (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Family member tried to redeem a code, the fricking UV site doesnt recognize it, tried putting in a support ticket, can't submit because the site doesn't recognize Ex Machina as a movie in its database. Can't redeem via Vudu either.

No idea how I get support now.

Edit: Tried an hour later, they just posted this:

There is currently a network problem preventing the system from checking codes from some studios. If you get an error, please try again later.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's deeply flawed, but it's still the most worthwhile digital copy I've yet encountered, mostly thanks to Vudu. It's value added for me in a way that the iTunes codes never were.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Somebody did say there was network issue the other day. The "joke" works well for me though. I have over 1300 movies + some TV, most from codes and have yet to have any issue or ever have to contact support. Of all the systems this is by far the best for me.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I couldn't redeem the code for "1776". I had my copy special-ordered from the States, as this Blu-Ray isn't being made or distributed in Canada. I don't know what purpose such a restriction on UV codes serves, but the fact that I can buy a new Blu-Ray with a digital copy included that I'm not allowed to use proves that buying access to a digital copy of a movie is not at all the same thing as having a physical copy.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
I couldn't redeem the code for "1776". I had my copy special-ordered from the States, as this Blu-Ray isn't being made or distributed in Canada. I don't know what purpose such a restriction on UV codes serves, but the fact that I can buy a new Blu-Ray with a digital copy included that I'm not allowed to use proves that buying access to a digital copy of a movie is not at all the same thing as having a physical copy.
Hi David!

I fear that when/if physical media dies, we Canucks may find ourselves a bit left out in the cold!

But then, we're used to that! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Patrick Donahue said:
I had the same problem with Ex Machina - I filed a support ticket and had it in my account later that day.
I will give them some more time but if that doesn't work how do I file a ticket when it doesn't recognize the film?

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Ex Michina didn't sound like my type of movie but I just picked it up to test, entered the code at Vudu, and the movie instantly popped into my movies like always so if there was an issue it must be resolved now.

P

Patrick Donahue

I'm honestly trying to figure out how I did it, Sam. I went through UVVU.com. I remember on the form I had to enter the name of the movie, the code, and the studio (Universal) and it sent an email to me within minutes asking for a pic of the code slip.

Did you try the code at any of the other UV retailers? All you need is for one of them to work and you're good to go...

Frustrating I know but I definitely disagree with damning the entire system for it. On the physical disc side I've had discs show up scratched and unplayable, or go unplayable after a few years on my shelves. Everything is going to have SOMETHING to put up with, ya know?

Cheers

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Somebody did say there was network issue the other day. The "joke" works well for me though. I have over 1300 movies + some TV, most from codes and have yet to have any issue or ever have to contact support. Of all the systems this is by far the best for me.

Very happy with my Ultraviolet enabled purchases so far. Also happy with my itunes video purchases as well. I wouldn't call myself a techie either and it seems very straight forward on the instructions on how to redeem. I have had to contact tech support once on an itunes purchase and they got back with me immediately after my email. Im a very happy EST Digital eco system girl.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Patrick Donahue said:
I'm honestly trying to figure out how I did it, Sam. I went through UVVU.com. I remember on the form I had to enter the name of the movie, the code, and the studio (Universal) and it sent an email to me within minutes asking for a pic of the code slip.

Did you try the code at any of the other UV retailers? All you need is for one of them to work and you're good to go...

Frustrating I know but I definitely disagree with damning the entire system for it. On the physical disc side I've had discs show up scratched and unplayable, or go unplayable after a few years on my shelves. Everything is going to have SOMETHING to put up with, ya know?

Yeah, we originally tried Vudu since that's what they use most. When it failed there we read the actual instructions on the slip which said to use redeemmovie.com and it didn't work there either. I stewed on it a bit and tried it an hour later, that's when the error message showed up atop their page.

I successfully redeemed it via Vudu today. Thanks for your attempts to help Patrick!

I agree that Uvvu doesn't such as much as they first did but there is still a ton I don't like about it. Single points of failure and poor tech resolution tools for errors chief among them. We'll keep redeeming the free ones, but you couldn't pay us to buy into the system =)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
Im a very happy EST Digital eco system girl.

I don't count codes packaged in with physical media as EST, I assume that's not what you are talking about.

So you are buying codes at the store on cardboard, direct from the electronic stores, or in trade from people on forums like ours?

Of the three, only the last has any appeal to me, but I know the other 2 must be working for someone.... Even that is 'cheating' on the idea of EST tho =)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Sam Posten said:
I don't count codes packaged in with physical media as EST, I assume that's not what you are talking about.

So you are buying codes at the store on cardboard, direct from the electronic stores, or in trade from people on forums like ours?

Of the three, only the last has any appeal to me, but I know the other 2 must be working for someone.... Even that is 'cheating' on the idea of EST tho =)

EST sales don't include codes packaged with physical media of course, but they do add value and contribute to purchases that otherwise wouldn't have been made. I know a few people who buy physical media primarily for the codes (since it has become so cheap in many cases).

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:

I buy directly and have also received gift EST cardboard identifiers from the stores. The cardboard identifiers are becoming popular in the big box stores and allows a consumer facing presence at physical retailers without physical media.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bruceames said:
EST sales don't include codes packaged with physical media of course, but they do add value and contribute to purchases that otherwise wouldn't have been made. I know a few people who buy physical media primarily for the codes (since it has become so cheap in many cases).
Hi Bruce!!!

I have purchased many physical discs recently based on weather they included a itunes or UV code inside the box. I would not have purchased otherwise.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
I dont really feel like its cheating since I am not walking out of the store with a digital download or some other copy of the movie or television show I purchased from the big box. They are sent to me electronically via the internet to my home computer.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not that you are cheating in any way, I am saying that counting free codes bundled in with physical disks as EST is giving that format more credit than it rightly deserves. Like I've said many times I think things will move off of shiny plastic disks faster than most people do, but thinking that it is growing because of the vast number of free code transactions is disingenuous on the part who are pushing it today.

In the end it doesn't really matter what I think, that doesn't stop me from being fascinated by those who are enthusiastic about products and services I have issues with. Hope that makes sense. That's why I asked what I did, I don't know anyone who has ever bought code on cardboard and only a few who have ever bought a film from a service other than iTunes. I know tons who rent from those services tho and many more who buy on iTunes, but the cardboard and stores have had such a terrible value proposition compared to physical disks and free codes that I'm both intrigued and horrified that they continue to survive let alone thrive.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
I buy directly and have also received gift EST cardboard identifiers from the stores. The cardboard identifiers are becoming popular in the big box stores and allows a consumer facing presence at physical retailers without physical media.
There I can see the appeal but ONLY if they maintain price parity With the disks as their prices go from new release to bargain bin. But that's not been my experience, both console game codes and movie codes keep strict new release pricing while their disk counterparts approach nil. I'd be happy to buy cardboard codes if they matched the disk price, count me in when that day arrives!

Thanks for your replies Tower!

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I use to buy a lot of blurays as long as they included a UV code. Over the past 3 years though I've got to where I mostly bypass the bluray and just purchase the code. Today about the only discs I buy are 3D and although I still buy some codes I find myself purchasing direct from Vudu on their monthly sales. The only place I'm really lacking is Disney movies. Can't seem to pull the trigger when they always seem overpriced, don't have UV and don't share to my friends and family.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Love my Vudu. Up to 1125 films with no issues redeeming

It just doesn't like you either Sam![emoji13]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks