What's new

You've gotta be 'frickin' kidding me!!! I don't believe this!!!... (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I wish I had DSS, parents keep bringing up the argument, "You can't program the VCR with satelite." So I lose everytime it's brought up.
I program my VCR to tape off of DSS all the time, I don't see why they would think that you would not be able to do so.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure one of the Dish or DirectTV boxes can do what the ExpressVu 3100, 4700 and 5100 can do. You can program these recievers, just like a universal remote (it has a powerful IR emitter in it that can bounce off walls), to control your VCR. Once you have found the right code, all you have to do is leave the VCR on, with a tape in it, on the right channel to record off of the DSS. Then just find what you want to record in the Program Guide, select it and the DSS receiver will create an event. Then when that even happens, the receiver will turn itself on, tune to the right channel and start the VCR recording. When the show is over it will stop the VCR.

Or go a step further and get a receiver that is also a PVR (ie Tivo, Ultimate TV, Replay TV) etc. Let's see your parent's come back against pausing live TV and recording something while you watch something you've already recorded.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had DSS, parents keep bringing up the argument, "You can't program the VCR with satelite." So I lose everytime it's brought up.
to put it bluntly fuck VCR's :)
get a Directivo.. it'll record anything any time anywhere. All yer fave shows all season, either every one or just the new ones and not the reruns.
quality is no different than first run as it pretty much saves the DSS bitstream as is.
trust me, you'll never go back. with a tivo and a DVD player I haven't used my vcr in who knows how long. it can even record 2 shows at once. The replay, pause, rewind is pretty cool too :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Now ATT Cable is moving the Golf Channel from channel 48 to channel 127, so if you want the Golf Channel, you have to go get a digital cable box. Ack! (But I really don't care about the Golf Channel, but it's only a matter of time before they move the decent stuff from basic cable to the digital cable line-up...give them an inch, they shove the rest up our collective butts).

James RD

Supporting Actor
AT&T Broadband is a mess. But things may change. From the San Jose Mercury News:

AT&T Broadband, the nation's largest cable-television operator, was expected to begin considering three purchase offers from rivals after bids were submitted Monday.

Cable companies expected to submit bids were AOL Time Warner, Comcast and Cox Communications, said a source who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Microsoft was also considering increasing its stake in AT&T Broadband, a separate source close to the matter said Monday.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I have an RCA VCR which has an infrared emitter and could use it to tune my RCA DSS receiver to the right channel before recording. Then I got a DirecTiVo and so I no longer have a use for either the VCR or the old DSS receiver.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I don't know if all DBS receivers these days have this feature, but mine couldn't be easier to record with. With my receiver (a DirecTv RCA 480), all you do is click on a show in the program guide & select "Record"! You also have the option to automatically record the program weekly. It does this by connecting an included infrared transmitter to the front of your VCR, where it receives signals from the remote control (your remote signals still pass through). It works effortlessly.

-Dan B.

Dan B

Screenwriter
D'oh!
This receiver will turn itself & the VCR on and automatically tune to the correct channel on the DBS receiver also.
-Dan B
should have read Dustin B's post before writing the same exact thing

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Screw cable and get DSS. I used to have the full boat package from DirecTV for about $80 a month. You get all the regular satelite channels, all the premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime, TMC, Cinemax, Encore - all of them, Starz!, Sundance, IFC, etc.) plus all of the regional sports channels. Additional receivers only $4.99 per month.

And there are no extra taxes or fees. Or at least, if they are, they're already included in the price.

I've since downgraded to a smaller package with only HBOs and Cinemax because I wasn't watching much. But, it's still a good deal.

A DSS receiver combined with a Tivo (DirecTivo is perfect) can't be beat.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
hears another vote for "cable sucks, go DSS"
when i came to Maryland we had 1 choice for cable.i started going out once a week, then a couple times a week and then every day, the reception sucked and the didnt have animal planet either.i got my dish network system for free with free instlation:)ive been soooooooooo happy ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks