What's new

You've got a tumult and over RMS power to drive it - what enclosure do you build? (1 Viewer)

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
No PR's allowed, I don't want to spend the money :)

I like the flatter extension I can get from a ported enclosure, but the huge group delay is starting to turn me off, especially since I want to use the sub for music too. I also don't want to EQ the hell out of a sealed enclosure to get good low end extension.

What do I do?

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Sounded like you want the easy way out... Solution to that is sell the Tumult to me :D

Seriously though, I got the sealed Tempest. With good placement and a few hrs w/ BFD. I'm loving it... Music/movies whatever I put it in, it handles with ease. Put some time and effort, it'll be well worth it in the end. You just simply can't beat DIY. Whatever you decide ported or sealed, it will mostly out perform most if not all subs under $1000. Good luck.

Al,

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Hey al,

I had a ported tempest at around 12 cubes tuned to 18-19hz. I really didn't like it for music, but it was good for the low low movie bass, like the dam cracking near the end of X-Men 2. I never tried the tempest sealed, although I've heard it's much more musical in around 4 cubes sealed. I didn't like how big it was, either :D People made fun of me :b

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
2.5 Cu feet is a common sized for a nice sealed Tumult. That's what I built for mine and am feeding it with 830 watts and the BFD to eq it a little. I've owned more subs then I care to admit and this is easily the best I've heard.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Al, what size is your sealed Tempest? I just bought Mattak's Tempest driver off of him, and am looking for a sealed unit with eq help. I'd like to get it linear to 20hz. How small do you think I can go?

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

My sub is the midq sealed. It supposed to be 21" cube, but I made a lil mistake on cutting the edges. It's end about 20.5" cube. Below is the FR graph for my sub:

This is at -25db below RF. As you can see, it can really put out a lot of volume. I'm driving it w/ the 250W PE plate amp with a mod at 20hz - 24hz (+2db boost). Without the BFD, on certain songs I can hear the boominess which I wanna get rid off. I then began my EQ journey. First, I added extra stuffing to the sub, trying to tame the boominess. It helps a lil but the boominess is still there. I then added weight on top of the sub to help making it sounds tighter (still not satisfy). Lastly, I purchased the BFD about 2 weeks ago. That did the job. It flatten out my FR (eventhough I still need to fine tune it some more). I was able to apply the house curve to my sub. I love the sound of the house curve (more output on lower end).

I can't really recommend any other sizes since I haven't heard it. I really like the MidQ (21" cube), the way it handles the bass. I'd say go for 21" cube. Go bigger if you can (in this case, size does matter:)).

P.S. my room is 15x15x8 w/ 2 opennings. One to kitchen of 9x15x8 and the other is a hallway of 4' wide. So the room is actually 24x15x8 w/ 4' hallway.

Al,

KyleGS

Second Unit
Just going off my Tempest and DVC designs-- it looks like you may want to try a sealed cab with a qtc of 0.707. I've put my Tempest in three sealed boxes and a ported box but nothing sounds as good as the sealed 0.707qtc design. I listen to ALOT of music compared to HT. I've always been much more into stereo. I agree that the ported boxes sound great for HT and really dig deep but I always go back to sealed everytime. I can't explain why and don't know the technical jargon behind it, but "it just sounds better." IMO :)

Richard_M

Second Unit

Hi Mattak

I am using a Tumult in a ported design tuned to 15Hz, the problem I had was it was great for HT but rather average for music, bloated in the lower frequencies. The plate amp came standard with a 20Hz subsonic filter, changing this to 14Hz improved the music reproduction night & day, I then hooked up my Crown K1 which has a subsonic of 8Hz this made the Tumult sonic signature sound the same as another sub that I also use and is fantastic for music, so then moved the Tumult subsonic filter down to 5Hz, and now both the Tumult and the other ported design sound absolutely brilliant for both HT & music IMO.

All I can say make sure you don’t restrict the Tumult at the bottom end otherwise it can bloat the lower notes of the music frequencies.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Richard: Yes, I emailed you about your ported tumult recently.

Right now I'm considering 5 cubes tuned to 22hz with a 3"x18"x51" long slot port.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
The group delay isn't necessarily a problem. Your reciever very likely has a distance control that can compensate for the group delay of the driver (adding delay to the other speakers) so they sound much more time coherent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks