What's new

You've been waiting for this! Take a CHRISTMAS VACATION...16x9 style! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Warner, bless their little hearts, have finally heard us.

Ever since I have started lurking here at the Home Theater Forum, there have been complaints about National Lampoon's Vacation, about how the Chevy Chase film was unjustly MARred for its initial DVD release, and couldn't Warner just re-release it in 16x9?

Many of us bought it, or (in my case) got it as a gift and kept it, despite its non-OAR status. We just love this film so much! Couldn't WB let us double-dip on this one?

Well...sure they will!

This is not announced. It's not at their press site. It's definately not finished yet...I cannot say where in the development process it is.

But an anamorphic widescreen version of Vacation is in-the-works. I haven't seen anyone else post this info, so I thought I'd spread the good word.

And before anyone asks...no. I have no proof. Believe it or not, it's up to you. It doesn't matter to me, and this is not a late April Fool's joke. Myself, I hope the person who told me this is right, too...but they have never let me down in the past. Just passing on the word!

[rant]THANK YOU, WARNER![/rant] :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Sweet! Now all I need is an OAR re-release for Christmas Vacation and Police Academy and I can die a happy man.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
re: My signature - I unchecked the box for that post (and for this post), as I have for some other posts recently. I'm trying to make some types of posts more clean-looking. Lazyness will see how long I bother, and senility will see how long I remember! :laugh:

re: The rest of the Vacation series - I wasn't told if these are in-the-works now or not. Frankly, I was so elated I didn't think to ask! If they aren't in-the-works now, then good sales on NL's V should ensure that they follow quickly...though I bet they save NL's CV for a holiday release, one year or the next.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Awesome! I gladly get rid of the disappointing disc I have now. Any idea as to a time frame? Like this year?

Will K

Screenwriter
Very nice. About bloody time, even though I personally prefer Xmas Vacation out of the whole "quadrilogy." :)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Ok, since I cannot remember exactly what MAR means, was Vacation released Pan and Scan or full frame (making the 16x9 either OAR or matted)?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
YAY! I'm hoping it will be a special edition. Thank you Warner.

Now, if only they could release the sci-fi comedy NOTHING LASTS FOREVER. Both Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray have stated that they would participate in the DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Luke, no concept as to timeframe. No sooner than the fall, I would guess. That's probably optimistic. As I said, I cannot say how far along it is.

MAR = Modified Aspect Ratio. Anything that is not OAR (Original Aspect Ratio). However, I believe the old disc is open matte.

No word on any other comedies.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Now, if only they could release the sci-fi comedy NOTHING LASTS FOREVER. Both Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray have stated that they would participate in the DVD.
I was just reading about that on IMDb the other day, and I'd love to see it. Considering my favorite movie of all-time is from the same year and features both Aykroyd and Murray...I'm definitely interested. :D

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Given that this film has been available in R2/4 in anamorphic widescreen for the better part of 3 years now, I don't think Warners are to be congratulated over this. It's more, "what the hell took you so long!?".

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
This is great news! Hope it's true. It would be nice to have the widescreen version of this movie.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I wouldn't hesitate at all to pick up SEs of Vacation and Christmas Vacation (I already have European). If Chevy were to do commentaries on either of them, I think that there should be someone else with him (Beverly D'Angelo and/or Randy Quaid). Although the comments he makes on the Euro commentary are often funny, there is a bit of dead air. Anyway, I'd love widescreen versions at any cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks