What's new

YouTube - How many hours total? (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi gang!

I was thinking the other day about the revolution of YouTube. There is just SO much stuff (good and bad) on there. I wondered how many hours of total video are on that site? I did some searching on the Internet, but never found a stat for this. One stat I did read was that 13 hours of video are uploaded every minute! Not sure if that is accurate, but pretty amazing if so.

So, I turn to the smartest people on the 'net and submit my question:

How many total hours of video are there on YouTube???

(P.S. Merry Christmas to all!)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering where they're storing all of it! When I first figured out how to upload video I did about 100 old commercials over a weekend because I figured they weren't going to be letting people upload an unlimited amount of stuff for too long. Even now I still check to make sure someone hasn't already put up the same thing before I upload it, or at least make sure mine is significantly better quality.

I wish the site would let you play videos continuously automatically, like have it play the next listed similar video or pick something at random. The Google Video site did that for a while but they later stopped.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

I think it's impossible to say unless you have access to their servers. It's like asking how many web pages are there on the internet or how many blades of grass are on your lawn.

One thing about YouTube that annoys me (well, two things really) are the videos that people steal from other's and add to their own profile. So you search for some clip and there's 20 copies of it online.

That and people making their own videos for songs. It's gotten to the point if I want to track down the video for a particular song I have to wade through 8 pages of fan made videos.

Still. It's a fun way to kill an hour.

-paul

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Considering how many videos are taken down (by either the owner or due to copyright violations), it would be so hard to calculate. But I too have wondered just how much is there.The one thing that always bugs me are those "videos" where it's nothing but photo montages. If I wanted to look for photos, I'd search Google images. :rolleyes

reddyabi

Auditioning
Real Name
Abhi Reddy
Total number of videos on YouTube -- over 110,000,000

Time required to see all the videos -- over 400 years

Number of videos uploaded per day -- about 200,000

Amount of videos in copyright violation -- over 12%

Top categories of uploaded videos -- music 20%,
entertainment 15%, people/blogs 14%, comedy 13%
sports 7%, educational 6%, autos 5%, film 5%

Source of videos -- amateur 80%, professional 15%,
commercial and corporate 5%

Top countries uploading videos -- United States 35%,
United Kingdom 7%, Philippines 4%, all the these
countries are around 3%: Australia, Brazil, Canada,
France, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Turkey

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hey! Thanks so much Abhi!

I thought that YouTube would just publish stats like that. Surely they have a database that auto-tracks most of those stats for their internal use anyway.

Makes one wonder what the next 5 years or so has in store! Obviously we will see a huge increase in true HD videos. More services like Hulu that provide full shows in HD on demand. Should be very cool!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by reddyabi

Total number of videos on YouTube -- over 110,000,000
That's incredible. And the quality's a lot better now. Anyone use Google Video? It's linked to Youtube and has longer videos and links to other video sites like Veoh. It's good to search around I found a perfect divx copy of the German film Baron Munchausen at Veoh, been searching for it for years.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Wonder how that compares with Vimeo?

Unfortunately, I can't use Vimeo because they're strictly non-commercial, and I'm a business. Luckily, YouTube has absolutely no restrictions on that. So I'm adding more material all the time, now in hi-def!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks