What's new

"You're the only one who cares about any of this stuff," says—who else?—Dave. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I really need to stop inviting my buddy Dave over when I'm feeling tired and irritable, as was the case last night. At least he paid for his share of the pizza this time.

Things got off to a rocky start as I greeted him outside my apartment building. My neighborhood is considered a desirable area here in Los Angeles. And Dave was commenting favorably about the female passersby as we stood outside.

"I still don't see why there are so many good-looking women in this neighborhood," he said.

"Dave, the Fairfax/Melrose area is considered trendy, and it's ideally located," I bristled. Dave, who lives in an undesirable part of the Valley, has knocked my little acre before.

"I don't see what the appeal is," he dumbly continued. "Just a bunch of old buildings with high rents."

Upon entering my abode, it got worse. Dave complained that my apartment was too stuffy. But it was too chilly to merit turning on the fan. Dave even went on to complain about my cat's presence.

"It's his house, too. Perhaps you'd prefer to leave?" I offered. You don't complain about Attila in any way and remain on good terms with me.

The tense situation passed, however, when he unloaded some gifts on me (knick knacks, including a cool-looking ink pen that resembles one of the silver spaceships described in Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End).

Inevitably, as we devoured the excellent pizza, we started discussing which film to screen. I took the opportunity to update him on my latest plans for upgrading the main home-theater system. It was by the time I was discussing my plans for a high-def settop box and a new progressive-scan DVD player with aspect-ratio control that Dave launched into one of his classic modes.

As I was mouthing off on picture quality and reaching for the greatest level of resolution I can attain with my present budget allocations, Dave's inner Luddite burst forth in all its loudmouthed Bronx glory.

"Jack, you're the only person around who cares about any of this stuff," he blurted.

I had just been discussing some of my plans for audio upgrades.

"Dave," I said patiently, "remember when you scoffed at my mentioning how popular DVD is and all you could do to back yourself up was to point out how I was the only person you knew who owned a DVD player? You're sounding like that now. The home-theater industry is taking the consumer-electronics world by storm. DVD has pumped new life into not only the video world but the audio world as well. Millions of people are into this stuff."

"Then how come I don't know any of them?" he retorted. "Nobody else I know gives a [expletive deleted] about this sort of [expletive deleted]."

"Dave, you know that Internet site I've told you about, the one where I play an official role?"

"Oh, give me a break," he responded. "They're just a bunch of Internet geeks."

Dave's exposure to the Internet is limited to AOL chat rooms, where he meets all the women he goes out with. He has never been to this corner of the Internet.

"Dave, Home Theater Forum is a respected site with a large, diverse membership," I said, maintaining my calm. "We have been responsible for persuading some studios to release certain classic film titles to DVD. Industry professionals respect us and our opinions. And we have a lot of members."

"Then they're the only ones besides you who care about all this [expletive deleted]. People I know just buy televisions and videos. They don't give a [expletive deleted] about this 'high-definition TV' you keep talking about."

"Dave, get off of it! HDTV is gaining momentum, and unit sales are impressive. And DVD is driving much of this desire for better picture and sound quality."

In a nick of time, before tempers flared, I suggested that he pick a film he'd like to see. Dave ended up wanting to screen the Woody Harrelson-narrated documentary about cannabis prohibition, Grass. At least it all ended on a light note.

Why do I put myself through all this? Good thing ulcers don't run in my gene pool.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I have had similar conversations with one of my friends, however, those conversations were specifically about equipment. "Why in the world would you spend so much money on Paradigm speakers when you can just get Sony speakers at Best Buy for less? All speakers sound the same." I've since upgraded to M&K's, and altough he does hear the difference in sonic quality he still says the same thing. That's when I usually reply, "Well, why in the world would you spend over $4.00 per day on a habit that is killing your heart and lungs, especially when your dad died of lung cancer? Plus, you've been doing it for thirteen years now. Do the math and tell me how much more I'm spending than you."

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I have an idea. Invite him out for an evening with all the LA area HTFers. Lure him with promises of vapid bimbos and free beers. Then, make him listen to in-depth discussions about aspect ratios and DACs for the entire evening. :D

Dave, who lives in an undesirable part of the Valley
That explains it all! :laugh:

If you think its a tough sell with your friends, think about what I go through. I'm a female. I can guarantee most of my friends have no interest in HT. Of course, there are no complaints when they're invited over for a Sex and the City marathon on the big screen, or when they're beg me to TiVo something for them!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh, Jack. You big old dunce. :p) Why do you keep playing the same game with this guy? You know darn well what the result will be when you go into the subject in the first place. You two have a fabulous sort of passive aggressive thing going on here.

Of course, it makes for amusing reading, so keep it up. FWIW, I think most of the people I know think I'm nuts as well. In my case, it's probably true. I don't get into the equipment stuff so much because I know it bores the hell out of most people and though the audio portion of my system is pretty good, the video side is quite old. I get strange looks when I talk to "normal" people about who I think the most talented movie actors are. "Sean Penn? Are you kidding? He's a jerk! Reese Witherspoon? You mean the one in Legally Blonde?!? Wasn't that her first movie?"

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Jack, does your friend Dave have a hobby? Something that he spends an unusual amount of time/money on? Perhaps that analogy would give him a clue.

My supervisor at work spent some time with me yesterday sharing his passion for Paintball. I thought the gear was pretty impressive, even though I'm not interested in it. :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
This guy might fight you tooth and nail on what you find a passion for...but that doesn't seem to stop him from dropping by and enjoying the fruits of your labor. Now, the hard part: making him admit his envy.

Bruce

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd venture 90% of my co-workers don't give a rip about HDTV, and don't really get all excited about the extra resolution from DVDs. They just like things big, (clear is a bonus), and love that you don't have to rewind DVDs when you return them to the rental stores. I don't scorn them, and I don't proselytize them either. But if some of them show an interest in the subject (HT/HDTV/DVD/etc), then I do my best to answer their questions in terms they would understand.

Jack, cut your losses, just enjoy the pizza and movie. Volunteering anymore HT upgrade details with Dave is a deadend street. He don't get it.

You can lead a horse to water...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm with some of the others and don't understand why you keep going down the same path with your friend, we all know where it ends :laugh:
I still think he just does it to get under your skin.. because I might be known to play dumb to do the same to some of my friends :)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I think this guy likes to torment you. But I seem to remember a thread where this dude refused a new Panasonic TV because his old junker was good enough, which would lead me to believe he's legit. I think it's funny though and makes for some interesting reading. Got anymore tales about him?

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Damn, what cloud have I been on?

Jack, where can I find this documentary called 'Grass'? What year did it come out? And who's the distributor?

Thanks.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Well, why in the world would you spend over $4.00 per day on a habit that is killing your heart and lungs, especially when your dad died of lung cancer?
Ouch. I thought I could be a heartless insulter. :)

Does Dave at least pretend to be interested then throw out a remark like this? I could see how that would be annoying.

Jack, if you pay for a plane ticket from Phila to L.A., I'll promise to be in awe when I gaze upon your creation of an HT system. :D I'll even pay for the pizza pie.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Why do I put myself through all this?
I wonder the same thing everytime you post a thread about your friend.

Obviously it's not an issue about him not experiencing good sound and hometheater. He just has a mental block and will probably never see the light.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I think he's doing it to annoy you, especially the remarks about Attila. Offer to show him the door if he insults Attila and ignore the rest. When it comes to HT he's just an ignorant monkey who doesn't know any better.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Why put yourself through this? It's obvious he's envious of (or chooses not to understand) your system and the joy it brings you. I'm with the others, invite him over, enjoy the pizza and smokes, and watch a movie. Don't bother explaining anything to him - even if you've changed gear - he won't like it and will revel in the chance to needle you about it. I had a friend who reacted very similarly to my movie poster collection (his reaction was mostly to the value of certain items). Once I learned to stop talking about it to him, everything went fine.

And if he insults the cat again, toss him out on his ass! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I've wondered about that myself. But we go back. He's a photographer, and we met back in the 1980s when we were doing work for an area music publication. I managed to score him other gigs, with Music Connection and BAM magazines.

Jeff, Grass was released in 2001 and played the art house circuit. The DVD was released last year, and is available at any online vendor. Just go to Laser's Edge ("help support this Forum by supporting our sponsors") and DVD Empire and type "Grass" in the search engine.

Pamela: Dave definitely prefers the vapid bimbo type. Intellect is strictly secondary by his standards. In fact, it would be a liability. Your plan sounds wickedly delicious. If such a get-together were to occur (like the time you and Robert and Pete Kline and I did This Is Cinerama at the Dome), I'd love for you to start a conversation about DVI/HDCP inputs on HD-capable monitors.

Robert: I actually played Paintball once in 1994. The playing field, called "Baghdad," was in a shaded patch of desert. Dressed inappropriately for the weather, I experienced a genuine, medically diagnosed heat stroke. Play had to be halted while a team of medics poured water all over me, as though I were a beached whale. I reached a disassociative state, and felt neither fear nor hope. Only the water mattered.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why put yourself through this? It's obvious he's envious of (or chooses not to understand) your system and the joy it brings you
I agree with Peter. Most people aren't so vocal about stuff they really don't care about. This guy is obviously jealous that Jack has such an intent passion for something which he (Dave) is lacking.

Everytime someone wonders why I spend so much money on something, I try to take it as a compliment.

Try this next time:
Jealous person: "Why would you spend $3,000 on a tv???"
Me: (in a smug voice) "Because I can!"

:D

2 days ago I was talking to someone about my BMW and an observer (who was obviously jealous of my car) said "I've ridden in one of them before and I wouldn't pay 2 cents for it!", to which I turned to him and said (in a smug voice) "I didn't pay 2 cents...I paid $40,000" :D He didn't quite know how to respond to it and it shut him up. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks