What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
ahollis said:
It was a UA a release and never part of the final Turner purchase, which ended up at Warner's. .
RE: THE MUSIC LOVERS. Then if the rumored TT/MGM deal materializes this is a title which may make it! I'll add to the poster who added HAWAII to the requests-hopefully the restored full length Roadshow version if/when it comes out!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Professor Echo said:
What a shame Warners wasn't able to purchase this library.
You said it!
ROclockCK said:
My wish for TT? Please don't touch anything in the MGM/UA library unless it's been properly remastered for HD. MGM's legacy on DVD has become a disappointing blur of incorrect 1.66:1 aspect ratio transfers...letterboxed no less! Some great titles in that library, but unfortunately last seen from MGM on DVD in pretty dicey form.

I mean, did MGM suddenly find a wad of capital to restore and remaster? :ph34r:
Twilight Time will probably just get what MGM has bothered to remaster at this point. I'm not expecting any new remastering work.

The ideal MGM/UA Twilight Time release IMO would be Taras Bulba, considering how highly regarded that score is.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Lromero1396 said:
The ideal MGM/UA Twilight Time release IMO would be Taras Bulba, considering how highly regarded that score is.

That one may actually happen given how good the Australian blu-ray is an that it's not a title that MGM or Shout! Factory will likely release themselves.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Has anyone seen the HD airings of Rollerball, The Vikings, The Long Goodbye, Judgement At Nuremburg, Witness for the Prosecution etc on MGM channel?
If so, what did they look like?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I can second and support many of the suggested titles.

My principle point is this (and I hope that the TT folks are listening): I have eagerly paid top dollar for TT titles, and defended their business model on the boards and in many personal conversations. But the most important thing to me is the very best version, picture, and sound for the film.

TT has benefited so far from the foresighted competence of the studios they are working with, particularly Sony. I have no confidence in MGM at this point. They don't care. So TT is going to have to exercise a lot of caution together with begging and cajoling--whatever it takes--to get the tone-deaf execs at MGM to provide the kind of excellence that TT has been known for.

If it isn't perfect, don't release it. Period. No compromise and no prisoners.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Noach Kowalski said:
Has anyone seen the HD airings of Rollerball, The Vikings, The Long Goodbye, Judgement At Nuremburg, Witness for the Prosecution etc on MGM channel?
If so, what did they look like?
I have the MGM channel through DirecTV. I would say that the quality was variable. Rollerball was awful, Witness for the Prosecution tolerable (considering its innate problems). I have stopped watching the MGM channel and many other movie channels, however, because I can't stand anything less than what can be achieved.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
rsmithjr said:
I can second and support many of the suggested titles.

My principle point is this (and I hope that the TT folks are listening): I have eagerly paid top dollar for TT titles, and defended their business model on the boards and in many personal conversations. But the most important thing to me is the very best version, picture, and sound for the film.

TT has benefited so far from the foresighted competence of the studios they are working with, particularly Sony. I have no confidence in MGM at this point. They don't care. So TT is going to have to exercise a lot of caution together with begging and cajoling--whatever it takes--to get the tone-deaf execs at MGM to provide the kind of excellence that TT has been known for.

If it isn't perfect, don't release it. Period. No compromise and no prisoners.
Hi rsmithjr--I can assure we do listen--especially to the comments at HTF--but other boards not so much. What I can say for certain is that recently, my TT partner Brian Jamieson and I sat and watched the masters of all the first 40 films or so we are licensing from MGM/UA to make a judgement call--I do exactly the same thing at Fox--so if you generally agree that our standard of Fox releases is up to snuff, you won't be disappointed in the MGM/UA titles either. Regrettably, we had to pass on some of those we were hopeful of issuing, but we were able to select enough to get us through 2014 and beyond. As a sidebar when I started in music restoration at Fox 20 years ago, it took several years to get the program up to speed--I see the same thing now developing in home video--everything is always a work-in-progress at studios, and there are many dedicated folk behind the scenes who labor long and hard to make things happen. The business is constantly evolving and changing, and the die-hard aficionados, whose support is desperately needed, just have to hang in, be patient, and as supportive as possible. A lot of good things are coming, and they need all the help we can muster to arrive...

All best,

Nick Redman

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'm really looking forward to seeing some MGM Blu-rays in the future. How I would love THE ALAMO, with Tiomkin's score isolated!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Would like to add "The Lion In Winter"(1968) with Kate Hepburn and Peter O'Toole at the peak of their powers to my personal wishlist of Twilight Time/MGM titles if this licensing agreement comes to fruition...Kate won her 3rd Oscar right after "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" for her performance in this classic and we got to see Anthony Hopkins, Timothy Dalton, Jane Merrow and Nigel Terry in their film debuts...

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Time for Twilight Time to do its duty by the Western, a genre that lingers in its own twilight time.

VengeanceValley-1951-MGM-one.jpg

View attachment 2347
Alamo-1960-UA-one.jpg

Unforgiven-1960-UA-poster.jpg

DuelAtDiablo-1966-UA-one.jpg

HourOfTheGun-1967-UA.jpg

View attachment 2344
View attachment 2343
View attachment 2345
WildRovers-1971-MGM-one.jpg

JuniorBonner-1972-UA-one.jpg

PatGarrett-1973-MGM-one.jpg

the 1973 theatrical release AND the director's workprint with the wife scene re-instated.
AlfredoGarcia-1974-MGM-onePreview.jpg

View attachment 2341
View attachment 2346
View attachment 2342

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
stutter

Attachments

• MissouriBreaks-1976-UA-advanceOne.jpg
    MissouriBreaks-1976-UA-advanceOne.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 49
  • ComesAHorseman-1978-UA-one.jpg
    ComesAHorseman-1978-UA-one.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Lawman-1971-UA.jpg
    Lawman-1971-UA.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 59
  • SupportYourLocalSheriff-1969-UA.jpg
    SupportYourLocalSheriff-1969-UA.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 55
  • SupportYourLocalGunfighter-1971-UA.jpg
    SupportYourLocalGunfighter-1971-UA.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 50
  • ReturnOfAManCalledHorse-1976-UA-one.jpg
    ReturnOfAManCalledHorse-1976-UA-one.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 58
  • ManOfTheWest-1958-UA-poster.jpg
    ManOfTheWest-1958-UA-poster.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 46

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Some of those, of course, were released by MGM, not UA, so they'd be a part of the Warners' empire. (I bought Wild Rovers as a Warner Archive release.)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Wow, forty films! That was some viewing session for Brian Jamieson & Nick Redman (not all at once I'm sure). Not that that's enjoyable, as looking for faults, the usual thing is to turn down the sound & just concentrate on the picture, & it's no fun when a favorite film doesn't quite make the grade.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Twilight Time said:
Hi rsmithjr--I can assure we do listen--especially to the comments at HTF--but other boards not so much. What I can say for certain is that recently, my TT partner Brian Jamieson and I sat and watched the masters of all the first 40 films or so we are licensing from MGM/UA to make a judgement call--I do exactly the same thing at Fox--so if you generally agree that our standard of Fox releases is up to snuff, you won't be disappointed in the MGM/UA titles either. Regrettably, we had to pass on some of those we were hopeful of issuing, but we were able to select enough to get us through 2014 and beyond. As a sidebar when I started in music restoration at Fox 20 years ago, it took several years to get the program up to speed--I see the same thing now developing in home video--everything is always a work-in-progress at studios, and there are many dedicated folk behind the scenes who labor long and hard to make things happen. The business is constantly evolving and changing, and the die-hard aficionados, whose support is desperately needed, just have to hang in, be patient, and as supportive as possible. A lot of good things are coming, and they need all the help we can muster to arrive...

All best,

Nick Redman
The prospect of the MGM/UA vaults finally being opened is a very exciting prospect. Also, this leaves open the possibility that MGM may one day look(before it's too late even for home video) at the titles that need restoration. Certainly MAD WORLD and THE ALAMO have many fans here on this forum as well as other forums to back full restoration efforts. The many classic titles recommended on this forum is a testament to the MGM/UA film heritage.

Continued success...

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
A Breed Apart

Not the greatest film of all time (troubled production) but good cinematography and a stellar score by Maurice Gibb with an orchestral arrangement by Jimmie Haskell. There was never a soundtrack album issued despite Maurice and Jimmie making one ready at the time. Bee Gees fans would lose their minds if this saw a proper release as an isolated soundtrack on the blu-ray.

l_87001_719dcd7a.jpg

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
The stuff I've really been waiting on MGM for:

WOODY ALLLEN (Where the heck are all of these titles? MGM has only released 4 out of around 20!)
WILDER, TRUFFAUT

A SHOT IN THE DARK
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
THE LONG GOODBYE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks