Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Didier R, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

RE: THE MUSIC LOVERS. Then if the rumored TT/MGM deal materializes this is a title which may make it! I'll add to the poster who added HAWAII to the requests-hopefully the restored full length Roadshow version if/when it comes out!

2. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

You said it!
    Twilight Time will probably just get what MGM has bothered to remaster at this point. I'm not expecting any new remastering work.

The ideal MGM/UA Twilight Time release IMO would be Taras Bulba, considering how highly regarded that score is.

3. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    That one may actually happen given how good the Australian blu-ray is an that it's not a title that MGM or Shout! Factory will likely release themselves.

4. Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski Second Unit

Noach Kowalski
    Has anyone seen the HD airings of Rollerball, The Vikings, The Long Goodbye, Judgement At Nuremburg, Witness for the Prosecution etc on MGM channel?
    If so, what did they look like?

5. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    I can second and support many of the suggested titles.

My principle point is this (and I hope that the TT folks are listening): I have eagerly paid top dollar for TT titles, and defended their business model on the boards and in many personal conversations. But the most important thing to me is the very best version, picture, and sound for the film.

TT has benefited so far from the foresighted competence of the studios they are working with, particularly Sony. I have no confidence in MGM at this point. They don't care. So TT is going to have to exercise a lot of caution together with begging and cajoling--whatever it takes--to get the tone-deaf execs at MGM to provide the kind of excellence that TT has been known for.

If it isn't perfect, don't release it. Period. No compromise and no prisoners.

6. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    I have the MGM channel through DirecTV. I would say that the quality was variable. Rollerball was awful, Witness for the Prosecution tolerable (considering its innate problems). I have stopped watching the MGM channel and many other movie channels, however, because I can't stand anything less than what can be achieved.

7. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Hopefully the complete version.

8. Twilight Time

Twilight Time Insider
    Insider

Twilight Time
    Hi rsmithjr--I can assure we do listen--especially to the comments at HTF--but other boards not so much. What I can say for certain is that recently, my TT partner Brian Jamieson and I sat and watched the masters of all the first 40 films or so we are licensing from MGM/UA to make a judgement call--I do exactly the same thing at Fox--so if you generally agree that our standard of Fox releases is up to snuff, you won't be disappointed in the MGM/UA titles either. Regrettably, we had to pass on some of those we were hopeful of issuing, but we were able to select enough to get us through 2014 and beyond. As a sidebar when I started in music restoration at Fox 20 years ago, it took several years to get the program up to speed--I see the same thing now developing in home video--everything is always a work-in-progress at studios, and there are many dedicated folk behind the scenes who labor long and hard to make things happen. The business is constantly evolving and changing, and the die-hard aficionados, whose support is desperately needed, just have to hang in, be patient, and as supportive as possible. A lot of good things are coming, and they need all the help we can muster to arrive...

All best,

Nick Redman

BPullen, JoHud, JohnMor and 7 others like this.
  9. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

I'm really looking forward to seeing some MGM Blu-rays in the future. How I would love THE ALAMO, with Tiomkin's score isolated!

Twilight Time likes this.
  10. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Would like to add "The Lion In Winter"(1968) with Kate Hepburn and Peter O'Toole at the peak of their powers to my personal wishlist of Twilight Time/MGM titles if this licensing agreement comes to fruition...Kate won her 3rd Oscar right after "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" for her performance in this classic and we got to see Anthony Hopkins, Timothy Dalton, Jane Merrow and Nigel Terry in their film debuts...

11. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

davidHartzog likes this.
  12. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

stutter

Attached Files:

13. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Some of those, of course, were released by MGM, not UA, so they'd be a part of the Warners' empire. (I bought Wild Rovers as a Warner Archive release.)

14. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Wow, forty films! That was some viewing session for Brian Jamieson & Nick Redman (not all at once I'm sure). Not that that's enjoyable, as looking for faults, the usual thing is to turn down the sound & just concentrate on the picture, & it's no fun when a favorite film doesn't quite make the grade.

15. Paul Rossen

The prospect of the MGM/UA vaults finally being opened is a very exciting prospect. Also, this leaves open the possibility that MGM may one day look(before it's too late even for home video) at the titles that need restoration. Certainly MAD WORLD and THE ALAMO have many fans here on this forum as well as other forums to back full restoration efforts. The many classic titles recommended on this forum is a testament to the MGM/UA film heritage.

Continued success...

16. Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson Stunt Coordinator

Ronnie
    A Breed Apart

Not the greatest film of all time (troubled production) but good cinematography and a stellar score by Maurice Gibb with an orchestral arrangement by Jimmie Haskell. There was never a soundtrack album issued despite Maurice and Jimmie making one ready at the time. Bee Gees fans would lose their minds if this saw a proper release as an isolated soundtrack on the blu-ray.

[​IMG]

17. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Nice posters, Richard! Duel at Diablo...man, that letterboxed DVD needs to be upgraded into a beautiful BD!!

18. Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Patrick
    The stuff I've really been waiting on MGM for:

WOODY ALLLEN (Where the heck are all of these titles? MGM has only released 4 out of around 20!)
    WILDER, TRUFFAUT

A SHOT IN THE DARK
    DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
    THE LONG GOODBYE

19. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    The road show version of SODOM AND GOMORRAH, the US rights for which are still held by Fox.

[​IMG]

20. Paul Rossen

Is there an actual print available for such a Roadshow version?