What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ROclockCK said:
In absolute terms, my left brain tells me the UK Blu-ray could have - and should have - looked even better, especially from a 65mm source, but my right brain wasn't complaining. Overall, what was done with it for that Blu-ray wasn't anywhere near as hideous as a vocal fringe still seems to believe. I've seen much, much worse.
It wasn't a 65mm source, it was shot Super Technirama 70, that is a 35mm 8 perf format which is then optically enlarged to 70mm, they used the 35mm as the basis for the blu ray release, that is why it is presented 2.35:1 and not 2.20:1 on the disc.

For the record, although i am sick to death of having to repeat myself, i NEVER go up to my screen and look for things, they either stand out from my seating position or they don't, waxy looking faces devoid of fine detail ( no it isn't the makeup since the problem is on every part of the frame ) and edge enhancement stick out, so yes the Zulu UK release is poor.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've just thought of one (I'm sure I haven't named it in this thread)...The Last Valley 1971. A really beautiful looking film, & what a John Barry score! So a 4k scan & isolated score please. Wouldn't it be great if it actually happened.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'll buy it.

LastValley-1971-Cinerama-oneB.jpg

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hi!

One more vote for The Last Valley. Very good choice.

I´d also like to see How To Murder Your Wife on Blu.

Other wishes:

Exodus
Juggernaut
Cuba
Welcome to L.A.
Remember My Name - really belongs in TT/Columbia wishlist thread (see next post)
Comes a Horseman
Junior Bonner
Who´ll Stop the Rain
Rancho Deluxe
Where´s Poppa
Equus
Audrey Rose
Duel at Diablo
Hour of the Gun
Brannigan
Carny
Busting
Eye of the Needle - Rosza score
Last Embrace - Rosza score
Lenny Bruce
The Night they Raided Minsky´s
King of Hearts
Play Dirty - Blu coming in France
The Honey Pot - out on Blu in Australia already (the 152 min. cut is unavailable on DVD)

How I Won the War
Johnny Concho

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I don't care to see CUBA again. Not one of Richard Lester's brighter efforts.

I love Roberta Hunter's blues in REMEMBER MY NAME (1978). As I understand she died intestate, leaving her music rights unassigned, so the film and soundtrack can't be released. Things may have changed, however. It's worth looking into because this was Alan Rudolph's most fully realized film from a creative point of view and Geraldine Chaplin's best work, too. The music and mis-en-scene are so intertwined they can't be separated.

RememberMyName-1978-Columbia.jpg

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Would really like a new HD transfer of Elmer Gantry.

Though really I wish Criterion would get it. The last film photographed by John Alton.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
ShowsOn said:
Would really like a new HD transfer of Elmer Gantry.

Though really I wish Criterion would get it. The last film photographed by John Alton.
His work is remarkable. The Amazing Mr. X, although not very well known, is stunning with his cinematography.

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
Here's another vote for criminally underrated The Last Valley. This movie is bound to look gorgeous in HD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Stefan Andersson said:
Hi!One more vote for The Last Valley. Very good choice.I´d also like to see How To Murder Your Wife on Blu.Other wishes:ExodusJuggernautCubaWelcome to L.A.Remember My Name - really belongs in TT/Columbia wishlist thread (see next post)Comes a HorsemanBring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - Blu coming in FranceJunior BonnerWho´ll Stop the RainRancho DeluxeWhere´s PoppaEquusAudrey RoseTaking of Pelham 1-2-3Duel at DiabloHour of the GunBranniganCarnyBustingEye of the Needle - Rosza scoreLast Embrace - Rosza scoreLenny BruceThe Night they Raided Minsky´sKing of HeartsPlay Dirty - Blu coming in FranceThe Honey Pot - out on Blu in Australia already (the 152 min. cut is unavailable on DVD)How I Won the WarJohnny Concho
Good list but the 1974 TAKING OF PELHAM1-2-3 was released in Blu about four years ago with a very good transfer. Still available from Amazon. I would add THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL, HAWAII (roadshow), THE HAWAIIANS and A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM.

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is coming to blu-ray early next year from TT.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Richard--W said:
I don't care to see CUBA again. Not one of Richard Lester's brighter efforts.

I love Roberta Hunter's blues in REMEMBER MY NAME (1978). As I understand she died intestate, leaving her music rights unassigned, so the film and soundtrack can't be released. Things may have changed, however. It's worth looking into because this was Alan Rudolph's most fully realized film from a creative point of view and Geraldine Chaplin's best work, too. The music and mis-en-scene are so intertwined they can't be separated.

attachicon.gif
RememberMyName-1978-Columbia.jpg
Big fan of REMEMBER MY NAME as well. I knew there was a rights issue with regards to Hunter's music, but didn't know the specifics. I've got the LP and a great reissue poster.

remember_my_name_NZ02820_L.jpeg

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
A lot of post war, and especially post-50s/60s movies mentioned here. Interesting.

Any takers for something from the golden era like Dead End (1937)? I mean, nice pedigree: directed by William Wyler, starred Humphrey Bogart, Sylvia Sidney, and Joel McCrea, scored by Alfred Newman...with a DVD now ridiculously priced in the aftermarket.

Never seen this one, but I'd certainly be in.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Moe Dickstein said:
The Last Valley is ABC/Selznick catalog, is that totally with MGM right now or did they just license certain titles...
MGM still has the title. Not sure how long the license for the titles are for but I feel the agreement has about four years to go. It would be good if Olive or Twilight could obtain the rights, maybe even SHOUT.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Picture, Cinematography (Toland), and Supporting Actress (the great Claire Trevor).
This being a Goldwyn production, wouldn't it be with WB?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
bujaki said:
Nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Picture, Cinematography (Toland), and Supporting Actress (the great Claire Trevor).This being a Goldwyn production, wouldn't it be with WB?
Yes DEAD END is now in control of Warner Brothers. It would make a great Blu-ray but I bet it goes to WAC.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Any takers for Baby Face Nelson (1957)?

Maybe MGM lost the rights. Anyway, a Don Siegel movie with a good reputation (at least in old books about gangster movies) that nobody seems to mention in forum discussions.

I read somewhere that there is only one print in existence now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks