What's new

Your top 10 "Fantasy" DVDs that will never come out (bootlegs don't count) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Great. That's not the point of the thread. It's supposed to cover titles that will NEVER come out on DVD, not ones that you'd simply like to see. You want to talk about that? Start a "wish list" thread. That's not the point of this one - it's a fantasy thread about DVDs people would like to see but have absolutely no hope of seeing.

Obviously my comments about this are pointless. These kinds of threads always degenerates because people fail to follow the original question and just write what they want. Geez - one guy included two titles already in the works for DVD!

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I"ll second the 2 1/2 hour cut of 2010. I love the film, but a longer cut would blow my mind. Josh, do you know anything specific about what was left out?

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
200 Motels - Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.
Wise Blood - John Huston.
Original Astro Boy (entire) series in original Japanese language with English subtitles.
All Godzilla and related Toho films (such as Baragon vs Frankenstein, Destroy All Monsters etc) in original Japanese language with English subtitles.
A complete box set of remastered Itami, Juzoh films (Tampopo, The Funeral, Minbo no Onna etc) in original Japanese language with English subtitles.
A complete, self-contained collection of Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Call Her Savage Clara Bow pre-coder.
owned by Fox, but was never released on VHS or Laser.

Come On Marines and Search for Beauty
two pre coders featuring Toby Wing, Buster Crabbe, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, and Robert Armstrong (Tobys the only one in both movies i believe) don't even know who owns the rights to these. i was lucky to get a copy on tape from someone who got them from Toby herself.
i actually got her address from the same person, but didn't get a chance to contact her before she passed away.

The Story Of Temple Drake another pre-coder, this one with Miriam Hopkins. have no idea who owns this, but i never saw a copy on vhs or laser

Cleopatra Demille version- a fantasy because Universal seems to have no memory of owning anything pre 1950

Kolchak:The Night Stalker- with Commentaries by Darren McGavin, David Chase , Bob Zmeckis, and others associated with the series and a short featurette on Gil Melle who did the themes for many of Universals tv shows.
i KNOW this will never happen because McGavin still harbours ill feelings towards the series for a variety of reasons.
I doubt it will happen anyway, since there is no theatrical remake in the works and that seems to be the only way vintage genre material get a release from this studio.

StarCrash SE- anamorphic widescreen with a fresh transfer and input from Caroline Munro, Marjoe Gortner, and David Hasslehoff
impossible because Roger Corman owns the rights and New Concrde discs are always either MAR or just plain horrible transfers. they also aren't known for their SEs.

Nancy Drew Mysteries Universal, so no way in hell.

Shazam/Isis Complete Boxed Set i'm sure there's not enough interest to warrant this although i would love to have it. i see bootleg dvds of both these series at conventions, but the quality is, of course, abysmal.

Paul W

Second Unit
The following Kubrick films in the original theatrical aspect ratio (16x9 enhanced):

Shining, the (1.66:1)
Clockwork Orange, A (1.66:1)
Full Metal Jacket (1.85:1)

Along with a 16x9 enhanced version of:
Dr Strangelove.... (1.66:1, 1.37:1)

I guess I can only hope.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Let me update with my #1 fantasy collection...

Complete, restored, uncut, super-duper ultra mega box-set of the complete Sesame Street Unpaved from the premier episode in the late 60's to the late 80's including all unaired sketches and deleted scenes/skits, biography on the late great Jim Henson and interviews with cast and crew as well as bonus featurettes including SS timeline and evolution, series creation, character/muppet bios, PBS specials, tributes, marathons, etc.

It would be something like 25-50 double disc sets but it would be priceless to me, Id pay anything!!!

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Colin wrote:

The real problem is that there is no such thing as "titles that will NEVER come out on DVD" as there is no way to know for sure whether a title will or will not make it onto DVD. The only way possible for a title to never make it onto DVD is that every single known source (negatives, prints, tapes, etc) of that title must be destroyed. The fact that a title may currently be prevented from being released on to DVD does not mean that some time in the future it may very well get released.

Frankly I chuckled when I saw the title of this thread and the supposed "rules" as they are rather preposterous.

While there are many titles mentioned in this thread that have very little chance of making their way onto DVD, the fact is little is not the same as zero.

$.02 ? Well... keep the change. :)

Robert Altman's Short Cuts

Unless you give me proof Colin, I am assuming that this will never come to DVD. It's been over 6 years (almost 7) and I'm still waiting for it. Does that fall within your "rules?"

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I don't want to get into the argument about what's allowed or not in this thread, but I do think there's a huge difference in the probability of seeing a mainstream film that is yet to be released (such as Short Cuts or Aladdin) and the probability of a film with lost footage (Magnificent Ambersons), serious music rights problems (WKRP) or political incorrectness problems (Song of the South or Coal Black). Still, as Stripes prove, there's not zero probability of lost footage getting restored and released, so I'm still fantasizing that they'll make it. I realize that it's frustrating as all hell to have great films still not out on dvd. But that doesn't mean they'll never make it. I hate the fact that films like The African Queen, Captain Blood, Foul Play, Across the Pacific, Easter Parade, This Gun for Hire, etc. aren't on dvd, but I don't really think they'll never come out.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
George Kaplan - a man who actually gets it! I'm happy to see someone else actually comprehends the difference between a title that simply hasn't been released and one with extremely little chance of EVER appearing on the format.

No, it's not, but obviously there's less chance we'll get a DVD with a restored Magnificent Ambersons than we will Short Cuts. One seems gone, while the other has no apparent obstacles - it just hasn't been released yet. In addition, others like Song of the South face obvious obstacles - the chance isn't literally zero, but it seems pretty low...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If you want to discuss films with 0% chance of coming out, you need to restrict yourself to films that were never made. :) Of which there are many for me:

Cary Grant in Dial M for Murder (WB wouldn't fork over the money)

Grace Kelly in Marnie (her subjects balked at the idea)

etc. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

The "Clockwork Orange" DVD is 1.66:1, though it's not anamorphic, being a Warner DVD. As for The Shining and Full Metal Jacket, they are open matte transfers. They were shown in different aspect ratios in different parts of the world - in the U.S. it would have been 1.85:1, while in Europe it would have been 1.66:1. Being that Kubrick requested the videos be the open matte versions and that we're not losing anything, I think it's OK. You can always measure your TV and use some posterboard to mask the films to those ratios.

As for Strangelove, it has multiple ratios because some of the shots were hard-matted in the camera, while others weren't. Having seen the film theatrically at 1.85:1, and the open matte version at home, the framing seems just a little too tight at 1.85:1. Again, Kubrick wanted the video this way, and having seen it both ways, I think the 1.33:1 presentation is better for this film.

I do remember reading that there will be a Superbit release of Strangelove some time in the not-so-distant future. Don't remember where I read it, though.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member

Now even you seem confused as you have gone from saying the point of the thread is listing titles that "have absolutely no hope of seeing" and "that that will NEVER come out on DVD" - to those "with extremely little chance of EVER appearing".

Perhaps you may want to consider your own advice and start a new thread with more precise guidelines that would result in the kind of responses that appeal to you? In the meantime, I appreciate reading everyone's (including yours) contributions.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
It seems pretty obvious to me from Larry's list that it was intended to be titles that would never see the light of day, and not meant to be the umpteen-millionth wish list thread.

Someone remarked a while back on my choice of Kubrick/Allen/Hitchcock commentaries that there are deceased participant commentaries cobbled together from archival material. Yes, this is true, but it's not nearly the same as a live blow-by-blow commentary.

Claude North

Second Unit
1. NASHVILLE : special edition featuring the 8-hour version. ABC allegedly planned to run it as a miniseries. According to the book THE NASHVILLE CHRONICLES, not even Robert Altman knows where the unused footage is.

2. A STAR IS BORN : The Judy Garland version with all the lost footage restored. The current restored version, in which stills are used in place of the lost footage, is a treasure, but who wouldn't prefer to see the film restored to its opening night glory?

3. PLAY IT AS IT LAYS : I've never seen this adaptation of Joan Didion's novel, but I love the two leads (Anthony Perkins and Tuesday Weld). This was never released on home video, never seems to turn up on television, and I suspect that it is on its way to becoming a "forgotten film."

4. BREWSTER MCCLOUD : According to the last Warners chat, it is unlikely that this film will ever be released on DVD, due to poor laserdisc sales.

5. SEPTEMBER : Special edition DVD including footage of the first version of the film (with several different cast members).

6. THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO: Special edition DVD including footage of Michael Keaton in the Jeff Daniels role.

7. ANHEDONIA: The original version of the film that, during the editing process, became ANNIE HALL.

8. NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS and HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS : restored version of both films. The 129-minute version of NODS has been found, but an even longer print existed at one point. Also, a longer print of HODS is believed to have been screened in Japan.

9. BATMAN : The complete 1966-68 TV series including unaired presentation reels (Adam West in a Golden Age-style Bat-costume; Batgirl vs. Killer Moth), the opening logo ("Batman: In Color"), and the Coming Attraction still of the next week's villain that was shown at the end of each two-parter. (I remember seeing these once or twice when watching the show in syndication.) Also, network and syndication promotional clips, screen tests/auditions, costume and make-up tests, bloopers, commentaries, and anything else that's sitting in Fox's vaults.

I know that Fox wants to release it, so it probably doesn't belong in this thread. However, I fear that Fox and Warners will never come to an agreement that will allow this series to be released.

10. HE & SHE : Every episode of this 1967 sitcom starring Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, featuring commentaries, promotional footage, etc.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i'm sorry to everyone especially colin that i posted aladdin. i won't make the mistake of breaking that rule again. is there a such thing as a back seat poster?

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks