What's new

Your SINGLE favorite TV episode from any series (just one!) (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Beverly Hillbillies: The Clampetts Strike Oil ~ If you don't get that very first episode to work, the whole premise of the series is gone. Even on that first episode the characters of Jed, Granny, Ellie and Jethro are presented in the form they would more or less take for the whole 9 seasons. When Pearl hears that Jed has sold the swamp, she has Jethro drive her to the cabin only to discover the brakes aren't working on the old truck. Pearl reminds Jethro she told him to get rid of the worn out brakes. "I did, ma, that's how come we ain't got none!" The highlight of it is when Pearl and Granny insist that Jed got slickered by "that Brewster feller." Jed said he was being paid "somewhere 'tween 25 and 100." When Pearl protested, Jed replied "I know it don't sound like much but that Brewster feller seemed to set great store by the fact he's gonna pay me in some new kinda dollar. I've heard of gold dollars, silver dollars, paper dollars but he's said he's gonna pay in a what'd he call 'em Granny?" "Million dollars!" Pearl told him he was a millionaire to which he responded "that's what that Brewster feller kept callin' me.....I didn't know just quite how to take it!"

Hogan's Heroes: War Takes a Holiday ~ Hogan could ALWAYS scam Klink easily. Bribing Schultz or reminding him of the Russian front always did the trick. The upper brass of the German war machine wasn't always easily scammed by Hogan and crew. They convince Major "who is this man!" Hochstetter that the war is over and the Gestapo should release certain Allied prisoners in good faith and they drive away in Hochstetter's car!

Star Trek: Patterns of Force ~ The ultimate episode! I'm a huge history freak anyway and I've always been fascinated by WWII and to an extent the fact that the German people allowed Hitler's reign of terror to continue. This was a great microcosm of Nazi Germany and one of the best acted episodes. Dr. McCoy beaming down while still trying to get his boots on takes the cake!

Happy Days: Love and Marriage ~ One of the later episodes, actually the last from S9. Though it had "jumped the shark" several seasons before and Richie was gone from the show, there were some watchable episodes, this being one of them. Perennial bachelor Al suddenly becomes interested in Chachi's mother. He's embarrassed when she shows up at the restaurant after he's had to plunge a toilet; he's standing there with his pants rolled up, no shoes and a plunger in his hand. Adding insult to injury for poor Al she's been on a date with a guy and they've came to see Chachi! After a pep-talk with Chachi, Al decides to ask Louisa out on a date. They hit it off quite well and after a month or so, Al decides to take the step of proposing. He then overhears Chachi and his friends discussing the fact he'll get turned down cold. All depressed, he's sitting in the restaurant with the lights out in the middle of the night when everyone's favorite Fonz comes in to give him a pep talk. Encouraged by him, he wakes up Louisa in the middle of the night to propose. Poor sappy Al.....he mentions how their spaghetti sauces taste good separate but when they blended them, they were even better. To Al and Chachi's surprise, Louisa accepts! This was Al's last appearance as a regular on the show.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i think my favorite from combat was when the lieutenant was trapped in that bomb shelter with the german.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
WAY too difficult to narrow it down to one, but that was the challenge so I won't cheat:

Bewitched - "A Is For Aardvark"

A superb 1st season episode directed by the wonderful Ida Lupino and written by Earl Barret (who wrote another one of my favorite episodes: "Charlie Harper, Winner"). It's funny, real and very moving at the climax. I've had grown male (and straight!) friends cry at this episode when I showed it to them. There are no guest stars, just the regular cast who all given sensational performances.

While I would rank a couple of other series slightly ahead of Bewitched, I think this is one example of a perfect episode that realizes everything about a series' premise and then exceeds it.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Ditto, hard to narrow down to just one.

Mission: Impossible "The Mercenaries" - where Barney melts the gold with his 'umbrella heater' - physically impossible given the energy required, but way cool to a 12-year-old

Babylon 5 "Epiphanies" - the Centauri Regent wakes up with a Keeper embedded in his neck! fade to black

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
I LOVE LUCY: "Job Switching" - Hate to be so dull with my selection, but it really is the perfect episode. Not because of the conveyer belt scene, but because the premise is simple, the dialogue is smart, and every scene is both necessary and hilarious. Also, while Lucy and Ethel are off having their chocolate adventure, Ricky and Fred run amuck in the kitchen in a moment that's almost as brilliant as their counterparts' aforementioned scene. Just the perfect episode of the perfect series.

THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW: "The Curious Thing About Women" - Everyone gives great performances in this early episode that does one of the best jobs at finding a story that's equal parts Rob's home life and equal parts Rob's work life. Moore is outstanding, but I'm also fascinated by the scenes in the office; it's one of the few times we actually see the ALAN BRADY SHOW writers physically write a sketch from (almost) start to finish. Exhilarating! (Although, the script was apparently cribbed from an I MARRIED JOAN episode that I'm just itching to see! Anybody viewed this one: "Joan's Curiosity"?)

THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW: "Chuckles Bites The Dust" - Another obvious choice, but this is another dynamite script with unbelievable performances.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
upperco said:
I LOVE LUCY: "Job Switching" - Hate to be so dull with my selection, but it really is the perfect episode. Not because of the conveyer belt scene, but because the premise is simple, the dialogue is smart, and every scene is both necessary and hilarious. Also, while Lucy and Ethel are off having their chocolate adventure, Ricky and Fred run amuck in the kitchen in a moment that's almost as brilliant as their counterparts' aforementioned scene. Just the perfect episode of the perfect series.
I just happened to watch this the other night - hadn't seen it since I was a kid. I agree with everything you said. Truly perfect episode.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have an episode of Benson on VHS (I should transfer it) where some corporation is trying to put Clayton on ice after he was supposed to testify against them and then they try to bribe him. Clayton gets threatened and has to stay at the governor's mansion. This episode was full of excellent one-liners.

Krauss is talking to Benson and asking if he'd ever had a dream where he wanted to get somewhere and his legs wouldn't move. He said he had. She said she dreamed she fell into a pit of alligators. Benson said "let me guess, they tried to go but their legs wouldn't move!"

They had to send security over to get Clayton's stuff from his house. The governor asked if they found anything odd. He said they found one thing. "You know those undershorts you have marked Sunday, Monday, Tuesday? Well, Wednesday is missing!" Clayton responded that it was Wednesday and he was wearing Wednesday!!!!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Wow!Old thread!!My single favorite TV episode remains "Star Trek: The City on the Edge of Forever". I mean this thing has it all: Humanistic Science Fiction; Time Travel; Comedy; Romance; *and* Tragedy. And throw in the Nazis just for good measure!! And they got all this done in one 54 minute episode!!!Runners-up:Moonlighting: "Atomic Shakespeare" -- I'm pretty shocked this didn't make anybody's list up to this point. It’s probably the best parody of a Shakespeare period piece that's ever been performed on TV. And it was *brilliantly* (and hilariously) executed. Columbo: "A Stitch in Crime" -- Leonard Nimoy as a surgeon with the (almost) perfect plan for a murder. (As you might suspect, the plan was *very* logical!)M*A*S*H -- "Welcome to Korea" -- No, this *wasn't* the pilot episode. This was the one hour special which kicked-off the game changing fourth season. The episode introduces new regular BJ Hunnicutt to the fray who is rather rudely introduced to the rigors of the war. While M*A*S*H was already established as TV's first "Dramedy" with the death of Henry Blake in the last episode of the third season, this episode cemented it's claim to this genre with an almost dizzying display of comedy mixed with horror. Monk: "Mr. Monk and the Airplane" -- Monk is on his first "impossible" flight with predictably hilarious consequences. But he somehow still suspects that an equally "impossible" murder may have taken place ...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My favorite WKRP is the one where there's a bomb planted at the tower, Johnny breaks the telephone, and then hears sirens and runs out terrified thinking that the phone company has its own police force and are after him.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Carabimero said:
I agree with Star Trek, "The Doomsday Machine." In fact I think in the first post of this thread I made that pick!
Hard to argue with! It's always been my favorite too! It's too hard to pin down one favorite episode of all time, but Doomsday Machine was the one episode of any show that I looked forward to most when watching reruns of classic TV as a kid!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Can narrow my list to 5:

1) Lost - Walkabout

2) Run For Your Life - This Town For Sale

3) Hogan's Heroes - Go Light On The Heavy Water

4) Breaking Bad - Face Off

5) I Dream Of Jeannie - How To Be A Genie In 10 Easy Lessons

Alternates - Gilligan's Island - The Producer, Maude - Maude Meets The Duke

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Naked City: Prime of Life, the episode where detective Adam Flint has been forced to attend the execution of a criminal he had once brought to justice.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
oldtvshowbuff said:
Naked City: Prime of Life, the episode where detective Adam Flint has been forced to attend the execution of a criminal he had once brought to justice.
What I love about this thread is that I have most of the series you guys are mentioning, but in some cases I haven't watched a lot of the episodes. This way, I can go to Naked City and find the episode you just mentioned and watch it. A single episode is manageable and realistic and can spur me to a whole series. Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. I have really enjoyed watching other people's favorite episodes of all time.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
So many great episodes listed here (must watch "The Producer" from "Gilligan's Island" right now) but here's a show from a series that lasted only one year (it was up against the premiere season of "All In The Family"), a show that most likely will never come to dvd as the studio says there is no interest (Universal in this case) and is an undiscovered jewel when it comes to 70s sitcoms --

"The Partners" starring Don Adams, Rupert Crosse, John Doucette and (in my opinion, his greatest role) Dick Van Patten as the prissy Sgt. Higginbottom -- when I heard he passed away yesterday, I immediately thought of his performance in this series.

The pilot is the greatest episode, these days residing only on You Tube, but if you have 24 spare minutes now and want plenty of laughs, just click on the link here:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My Three Sons: Robbie Loves Katie

This second episode from season 8 of My Three Sons aired in September of 1967 and centers around Robbie proposing marriage to Katie.

I still think that adding Tina Cole to the cast of My Three Sons is the best addition that any long-running show has ever made. And I have no doubt that she played a large role in keeping it going for another five years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks