What's new

Your personal biggest Oscar upset? (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I know this thread is asking about movies, and for the most part I watch the Oscars for entertainment value and montages over actually rooting for anything, but I was and still am disgusted that Ellen Burstyn lost to Julia Roberts for Best Actress. Especially when Roberts appears on the show acting like she is the object of worship.

And she hasn't so much as been nominated for anything since.

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Halle Barre winning for best actress was definetly a boner.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What do you consider screwing over Toy Story 3, not winning BP? If so, TS3 better bend over and get ready because an animated film isn't going to get BP. It might not even get nominated if there were only 5 films in the BP category. I think one of the reasons they expanded the category was so they could throw a bone to animation.

Don't get me wrong, I think TS3 is the best I've seen this year.

In addition to animation, it always pisses me off how the academy looks down it's nose at sci/fi.

Originally Posted by MatthewA

If they screw over Toy Story 3 this year then it's over between Oscar and I. I know the Academy has a bias against anything perceived as a children's film, but I'll watch a good movie for kids over a bad movie for adults any day.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

What do you consider screwing over Toy Story 3, not winning BP? If so, TS3 better bend over and get ready because an animated film isn't going to get BP. It might not even get nominated if there were only 5 films in the BP category. I think one of the reasons they expanded the category was so they could throw a bone to animation.

In addition to animation, it always pisses me off how the academy looks down it's nose at sci/fi.

Yes.

The only other new film I've seen this year is The Social Network, and that will probably win. Any other year I would have been satisfied.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Not to be argumentative but...you've only seen 2 new movies out of the hundreds that were released in 2010 and you're going to be upset if one of those 2 is not crowned Best Picture?

Originally Posted by MatthewA

[/QUOTE]

Yes.

The only other new film I've seen this year is The Social Network, and that will probably win. Any other year I would have been satisfied.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Quote:

Originally Posted by SD_Brian

Not to be argumentative but...you've only seen 2 new movies out of the hundreds that were released in 2010 and you're going to be upset if one of those 2 is not crowned Best Picture?

I know I'm selling the minority of good movies released this year short, but I see very few new mainstream movies because most of them just don't interest me, other than Pixar (I have a fairly strong aesthetic dislike of most modern culture). I'm sure I would like a lot of the better films that came out this year, but almost nothing that Hollywood produces anymore compels me to want to see it. The increasingly annoying experience of going to the movies makes me want to see it less. I'm sure I'm not the only one rooting for TS3 to take home Best Picture; many critics called it the best film of the year when it came out. Undoubtedly it's got Best Animated Feature locked up. But I admit that's my personal bias talking. I started to lose interest after James Cameron's smarmy acceptance speech for Best Director of Titanic (I seem to be one of the few people who neither loves nor hates that movie). Keep in mind, Oscar baiting almost always works, past behavior is a good indicator of future behavior, and Oscars don't really matter in terms of quality, even regarding what the industry considers quality. I'm not getting my hopes up. I've not cared about the Oscars for years, and I can use this as the straw that broke the camel's back. If they prove me wrong, I'll call a temporary truce.

Fewer and fewer people care about the Oscars. In fact, in some circles it's become downright gauche to even like the Best Picture Oscar winner of any year, let alone think it worthy of the award.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The value of the Academy Awards, for me, lies in the nominations, not the winners.

I don't get out to see many movies anymore - in fact, of the 10 films nominated for best picture last year, Avatar was the only one I had seen in theaters. I made a point of trying to see as many of the nominees as possible before the Oscar telecast - I managed to see Up, The Blind Side, District 9, Inglourious Basterds, The Hurt Locker, and Up in the Air. 7 out of 10 isn't bad!

I enjoyed every single one of those films.

Sure, I won't agree with the "winners" all the time, but the point is that the nominations spurred me to make an effort to see films I may not have chosen otherwise. In each case, it turned out to be a great choice.

I find it amusing that some folks will put as much or more energy into "not liking" or "not caring" about something as they would if they actually cared.

Why wait for a "straw to break the camel's back"? If you don't care about the Oscars, then don't waste the energy talking about how much you don't care about them or how unjust they are simply for choosing winners that don't agree with your personal tastes. Instead, channel that energy into something positive.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Jerome Grate

For me it was Eddie Murphy not getting the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Dream Girls.

Not an upset. He was pretty mediocre in that overrated flick, then Norbit happened.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
for me it would be all about Godfather vs Cabaret. Cabaret is a solid film, but Joel Gray over Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall? horrific, but not as bad as The Godfather losing Best Editing and Best Director and not even being nominated for best cinematography. It also lost Score and Sound, which is also mind boggling.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Adam_S
It also lost Score and Sound, which is also mind boggling.

A: The mono sound mix on the first Godfather is kinda crummy. Out of that bunch, I'd have given it to The Poseidon Adventure.

B: Godfather was disqualified from the Score category due to Rota's habit of plagairizing himself. So technically it did not lose because it was not allowed to compete. Although giving the award to a film made 19 years earlier is bizarre nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks