What's new

Your opinion on HD DVD viewing on 34" HD WS Sony XBR970 (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
34"?? Nah...wait it out....stick to SD DVD.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It all depends on the distance you're watching that screen from.

Cees

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yup...if your like 2-3 feet away...then MAYBE you would notice differences in SD vs. any form of Hi-Def....beyond that, on a CRT, odds are the diffferences will be slim between SD DVD and Hi-def DVD's.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
You will see the difference when sitting at a normal distance. I do. Big time.

Forget the tape measure and enjoy the huge increase in PQ.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I have an XBR960 (in addition to a front projector). This is truly a reference-quality monitor and I've seen several of them at video production houses around town (which is where I first saw one and knew I had to have it.)

All the chatter about screen size and NOT being able to garner the benefits of HD is a load of misinformation. On the Sony the difference between SD and HD is abundantly evident at any distance from 0-15 feet, easily. Both increased pixel and color resolution is plain to see.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Alf S,

What equipment do you have that you based those experiences on?

Cees

willyTass

Supporting Actor
THE XBR960, at best, can resolve 1440 x1000 thanks to it's super fine pitch tube

The xbr970 has no super fine pitch tube so it's resolution is much lower.

Hd-DVD would look better on the970 (compared) to sd-dvd say due to the abscence of mosquito noise, ringing etc, but it wouldn't be a night and day difference not by a long shot

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Even with the LG slim-tune 30FS4D, which is not great as HDTVs go, the difference between broadcast HD and broadcast 16:9 SD is clear. It's an increased sensation of realism in the picture, an increase in clarity.

Incidentally, the shadowmask sampling in a tricolour kinescope is not absolute. In other words, if the electron beam is properly focussed, there can be contrast changes smaller than the size of a shadowmask element. They're not as strong, but the overall effect is of a shelf in response at the spatial frequency of the mask combined with a notch right around it, not a complete rolloff.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The XBR 960 is an AMAZING TV.
I rememeber just a few years back when a 4x3 36" set was considered BIG.
The 34" XBR for a WS image has more pic. real estate. And you don't have to be 3 feet away.

:)

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I've been considering this TV also to jump into the HD-DVD game. It's cheap. It sounds reliable. And it will fit in my small apartment.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's an interesting observation, Christopher.

The impact of the effect is difficult to determine, theoretically, because the distance between the different colour grains is greater than the little area on which the effect is realized.

Nevertheless, it means that some of the higher resolution must be noticeable.

Cees

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Okay, I'm in. I just bought the XBR970 for $948 at Best Buy. I'll live without flat panel and 1080P for awhile. I think it's going to seem kind of small compared to what's out there, but it's still a BIG upgrade from my two 27" TVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks