What's new

Your ONE Most Favorite Film of All Time? (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

For me, these are nearly one and the same. My favorite film is the one I consider to be the best film that still appeals strongly to my personal aesthetic tastes.

Regards,
Nathan

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The newly restored image that Criterion did for Seven Samurai does not, of course, change the plot but it is like a layer of haze, damage and dust has been removed from the film revealing the great cinematography in a way it has not been seen in a long long time....well...I guess it isn't "like" a layer of haze, damage and dust has been removed...it HAS been removed!

Get it Holadem, you'll thank yourself as soon as you start it up.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
That new CC Seven Samurai disc is a godsend.

I couldnt believe how great it looked. Holadem, Its much better.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

It's an interesting topic, as I find myself similar to you at time. I find myself obsessing about a new favorite and drowning myself it over and over and over. As for how often, I watch my favorites, I would say that I have a list of 10-20 films that are repeated every 1-2 years. There are probably another 20-30 that are repeated every 5 years. I just don't have the time for repeat viewing anymore. I own at least 400 DVDs that I've never seen before and have a list in excess of 1000 movies that I want to see. I'm very jealous of some people who have a small clump of films that they re-peat over and over and are completely content.:)
Here are my most repeated films:
The Apartment
Magnolia
The Big Lebowski
Rear Window
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Vertigo
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Double Indemnity
American Beauty
Wonder Boys

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I only have a few films that get watched at regular times each year:

1. The Godfather films (fall..will start soon)
2. LOTR (December)
3. Polar Express (day after Thanksgiving)

Others are watched when the mood strikes :)

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Hehe - as soon as I saw the topic name, I knew there was no way in hell most people would list just ONE.

Ok, for me - Rosemary's Baby - just a perfect, perfect film.

BarryS

Second Unit
It's all but impossible to narrow my favorites down to one, but Pulp Fiction would have to be it. It's the movie that turned me into a movie geek. However, my lifelong favorite movie is probably Ghostbusters. It was my favorite as a kid and even now it's still among my favorites.

I'm kind of surprised that I'm the only person who has listed Pulp Fiction...

Rob Brown

Agent
As the thread topic asks for my one favorite film (not to be confused with what I think is the "best" film), my vote goes (and has since it debuted around six years ago) to CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

I think that the reasons for it being my favorite film are not entirely clear, even to me, but I know that there's no other film that comes anywhere near this one's power over my emotions.

#2, just for the record, is LOST IN TRANSLATION. It makes me miss Japan every time I see it.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
My favorite film of all time is Renoir's Rules Of The Game - the wisdom and compassion of the film breaks my heart every time.

ROTG makes a lot of all time greats list, and with good reason. I first saw it, with little preparation or preconceptions, as a teen in college back around 1971. I had an immediate emotional identification with the film that has remained with me ever after. For this reason, while others may prefer The Grand Illusion, Rules of the Game remains a supreme cinematic achievement and my favorite movie.

There are scores of other films I dearly love & watch frequently from Sunrise to The Passion Of Joan of Arc, from Blade Runner to Blue Velvet, from Tokyo Story to The Philadelphia Story, from the Lady Eve to Some Like It Hot, from Singin' In The Rain to Swing Time, from The Conversation to Goodfellas. But ROTG is my fave if forced to pick just one.

BTW, my favorite guilty pleasure is The Hidden.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
For me it's Apocalypse Now. It never ceases to astonish me, and it certainly helps that it's highly watchable.

Up until a few months ago I would've specified that I prefer the original cut, but when I recently watched the Complete Dossier DVD, I think I preferred Redux.

My #2 would be A Clockwork Orange.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Man, what's with all the Star Wars fans? Am I the only one who thinks Star Wars is hyped up mediocre fare?

Anyway, my all-time most precious favorite is Akira Kurosawa's: Dreams

Not Kurosawas best in terms of an overall film, but his most personal, and as a big fan of Kurosawa, just one that is most personally incredible for me.

Apocalypse Now would be be near the top of my list as well (excepting many Kurosawa films). Apocalypse Now is kind of the ultimate anthropological critique for me, a marvelous film.

Lol... Star Wars...whatever...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Almost Famous literally feeds my soul every time I watch it. It's the most emotionally honsest film about living on the cusp between childhood and adulthood I've ever seen.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The Three Musketeers (1973)

It's been too long since I've seen it, but it's my most-watched film. I simply adore it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If we can consider The Lord of the Rings a single movie in three parts, I'll take that one.

If I can really only have a single film, I've always had a soft spot for Driving Miss Daisy.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

I absolutely agree! I loved Almost Famous so much from the first time I saw it. It still remains my all time favorite film.

And Eric, Wonder Boys is a favorite of mine too. It really captured what my college experience was, at least in spirit...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks