What's new

Your ONE Most Favorite Film of All Time? (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
HEAT, by Michael Mann.

I can relate to the characters like nothing else. I know about constant stress, being on the wrong side of the law, ruining relationships, adhering to principle. I was also born in Los Angeles and have grown up in big cities, and I see the city and its atmospheres in much the same way Mann does. This was also the film that got me into films- I started out only watching action pictures, and thought this was another one; 2 hours into it I realized that this movie was about people, about the way they live and interact and make decisions. The rest is history, as they say.

Regards,
Nathan

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I also have two that are tied:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN(this is the one that made me love movies, and made me want to read everything I could on those who made films, and how they did it).

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The Road Warrior.

Saw it in a run down theater when I was a kid. Blown away by the relentless action and cars. Greatest movie ever made.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Mine is always between The Empire Strikes Back and The Fellowship Of The Ring. The Star Wars films had the greatest impact on me as a child but the Lord Of The Rings books also had a huge impact on me as well and seeing Fellowship finally realised on screen was a huge moment (as well as the fact that it was really good as well :)

If I had to choose it would probably be Empire. As someone has said, nostalgia is a powerful thing... :)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Lawrence of Arabia
The only film, where I cannot find a single fault that matters.
closely followed by Shawshank Redemption and Schindlers List

Chris

Senior HTF Member
My favorite film of all time is not even on my top-10 "best" film list. Not even close. I don't think it's a great film. But it is a film that if I know it's on TV I will stop everytime and watch.

Groundhog's Day.

I think there is a difference between a film I would consider "great" filmmaking and can love, to a film that is lke comfort food that I would stop and watch anytime.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

Agreed. I have "comfort movies" and I have favorites which I purposefully don't watch all the time, so that I don't blunt their impact.

If I had to name an all time, single favorite movie, it would probably be Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans.

However, other films vie for that spot, depending on my mood and whatnot. A handful of films that are very near "absolute favorite status":

Out of Sight

Raiders of the Lost Ark

To Catch a Thief

Ben-Hur

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Casablanca

Perfect movie from the perfect movie making time. Perfect writing, perfect acting, perfect characters, perfect emotion and perfect plot. The script alone makes it a classic among classics.

"I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

No, they amount to much more Rick. Much more.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Favorite movie (aka comfort food): The Fellowship of the Ring (really all of LOTR actually).

Others in the same category: LA Confidential, The Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, T2, Magnolia, Aliens, Mulholland Dr and many others. These are movies I simply never tire of watching and will always own in their best possible presentation.

Greatests IMO? Too many to cite.

Last 5 movies which flat out blew me away, starting with the latest:

The Departed (2006)
The Battle of Algiers (1966)
Pride and Prejudice (2005)
Jules and Jim (1961)
United 93 (2006)

--
H

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
If I had to decide what the absolute best film of all time is, it would be between these five: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, CITIZEN KANE, CASABLANCA, CITY LIGHTS and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. THE THIRD MAN, VERTIGO, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and THE RED SHOES would be up there, too.

I think my two tied faves-BRIDE and ROBIN HOOD-are certainly in the top 100 films ever made.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Larry, I'm actually also leaning towards Singin' in the Rain. I think it's a perfect film. Also, maybe strangely to some, The Abyss. Still can't decide :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ok guys...I was guilty for listing 2 films.....my bad ;)...but if we list too many, then it kind of lessens the original intent. :)

That's aimed at me too. So I've chosen The Empire Strikes Back. Just too technically solid. It's one of those films to me that are just nearly PERFECT.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

I don't find either of those choices strange. The Abyss has an incredible atmosphere to it, and I'm surprised the whole underwater thriller genre hasn't taken off, and for that I'm kind of grateful.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I'm also very surprised that The Abyss seems to be the only film in this genre, underwater thriller :) It's exactly why I love it so much - the atmosphere. Also, sublime music by Alan Silvestri and ground-breaking special effects.

But there are also other films, some mentioned already that I absolutely love. Like Shawshank Redemption, for instance (though I must confess after the initial viewing and knowing the ending, the film loses a bit of its power).

I still can't come to an agreement with myself... :) There are just too many film I enjoy. What about Bringing Up Baby? :) I'll just have to go with The Abyss. But nostalgia is also part of that. If nostalgia were taken out of it, I'd have to go with Singin' in the Rain. So I guess that's my final answer: Singin' in the Rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks