What's new

Your new BD titles requests from Twilight Time (2 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I may have posted this way-y earlier in the thread, but I have been haunting any studio who has a licensing agreement with Fox (plus Fox itself) to please consider the marvelous 1965 Alexander Mackendrick adventure A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA for Blu release. Anyone who loves sea yarns, pirates, beautiful locales (2.35:1), and great family films that also happen to have serious upper-level adult themes would cherish this. Fox released a serviceable DVD some years back, but this is such a visual treat that it cries out for Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Still hoping for more Rita Hayworth, most especially Salome. The old DVD looked fabulous, so I'd imagine the blu-ray would be stunning. And then there's Laughton and Granger chewing up the lovely scenery, too.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Would love to see:

SODOM & GOMORRAH

FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY

SISTERS (Brian DePalma)

Lord only knows who the current rights holders are.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Still hoping for more Rita Hayworth, most especially Salome. The old DVD looked fabulous, so I'd imagine the blu-ray would be stunning. And then there's Laughton and Granger chewing up the lovely scenery, too.

Salome has been on UK TV in HD lately (Film Four) looking very nice. The epic I'd like is Barabbas, the earily DVD looked not good, but I suppose Easter is a more likely time to release it (if Sony has done the HD work).

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I'm still holding onto hope for Suddenly Last Summer, No Down Payment, The Story on Page One, Blue Denim, Hilda Crane, The Deep Blue Sea, Three for the Show, Lord Jim, Hell and High Water.... My list is endless

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, Twilight Time has a couple more Hammer titles starring Cushing & Lee to release. Any hint what they could be?
'Scars Of Dracula' hopefully. It may not be the best Hammer film about Dracula, but it is a personal favorite horror movie of mine.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I'd love to see TT (or KLSC for that matter), release

200px-ThePurpleHeart.jpg

IMO, a great WWII film. I worry that it's too "Un-PC" for release, which would be a shame.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Would love to see:
SODOM & GOMORRAH

I wonder about Sodom and Gomorrah, too, which I saw as a kid and thought was a hoot. Why on earth Fox Archives did that dreadful pan-and-scan DVD I'll never know. TT had written a long time ago that they would have like to put it out. My guess is that the American elements are in really bad shape. Still, the Black Hill/Spirit German DVD of about a decade ago was 1.85:1 with an English language version which looked pretty good. Perhaps that print is still available. I'd LOVE to own a blu-ray of it. Perhaps the good folks at TT could enlighten us on its status.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
There actually was a laserdisc released in the U.S., widescreen 1.85. Although, as you say, some elements weren't in great shape, it actually looked very good...better than any version I had seen before or since, but there was certainly room for improvement. It was always my favorite of the Biblical epics...probably because it was pretty racy (for its time) and the tragic ending. Unfortunately, lost the LD to a hurricane. (If I still had a player, I'd hunt a copy down.) I'm sure any chances of a restoration of the movie are zero-to-none and I doubt I'll ever see it even looking as good as the LD again. (But Pier Angeli was gorgeous...a shame she came to such a sad end.)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
'Scars Of Dracula' hopefully. It may not be the best Hammer film about Dracula, but it is a personal favorite horror movie of mine.

Y'know, even though it gets a lot of scorn, I always liked this one too. It was the "hardest" of the series although a bit ludicrous as well. (Why would Dracula need to stab anyone with a knife!?!?!?) But at least they give him dialogue...and it might also have been the first time in any movie that we see Dracula crawling outside down the castle wall.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I'd love to see TT (or KLSC for that matter), release

200px-ThePurpleHeart.jpg

IMO, a great WWII film. I worry that it's too "Un-PC" for release, which would be a shame.

Alex, it seems you're not alone there. I understand Mr Trump is also coveting that title.

Sorry... couldn't resist. As it happens, I recently ordered the French Blu of The Purple Heart. If interested, I can let you know about its quality once it arrives (due roughly around the release of Fail-Safe and Lost Horizon here, so if you wish, I could report on all 3 on your Fail-Safe thread).

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00DRZRRP6

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Would love to see:

SODOM & GOMORRAH

FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY

SISTERS (Brian DePalma)

Universal released FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY on DVD a decade ago. I assume it has the rights.

SISTERS was a Criterion DVD title. Note that the Arrow UK Blu-ray is region-free and still available: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/sisters.htm

Much like ONE-EYED JACKS, every half-decent DVD of SODOM AND GOMORRAH was derived from the LD, which I still own (along with a DVD or two). And, much like OEJ, maybe one day we'll get a nice Blu-ray. One day...

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Universal released FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY on DVD a decade ago. I assume it has the rights.

SISTERS was a Criterion DVD title. Note that the Arrow UK Blu-ray is region-free and still available: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/sisters.htm

Much like ONE-EYED JACKS, every half-decent DVD of SODOM AND GOMORRAH was derived from the LD, which I still own (along with a DVD or two). And, much like OEJ, maybe one day we'll get a nice Blu-ray. One day...

I do have both the FRANKENSTEIN and SISTERS dvds. But FRANKENSTEIN in particular needs work.
Amazing that such a classy production of the story gets such shoddy treatment...especially since Universal is re-releasing the famous monsters collections.

Wondering if Criterion still has the rights for SISTERS. But if there were just a Blu-Ray of SODOM, I'd be happy.

Last edited:

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I'm sure there's not a chance in Hell, but a blu of BERSERK! (1967) would be great. Sony has a very decent HD transfer readily available. TT has used Judy Geeson on past commentaries since she's based in LA and her comments would make for a great track.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I would like the following titles, that I know are already restored.

from Sony:
- The Whole Town's talking;
- You'll never get rich;
- You were never lovelier;
- The Long Gray Line;
- My Sister Eileen;
- When you're in love

from Fox:
- Down Argentine Way (and anything else starring Grable);
- Shirley Temple ( Curly Top, Heidi );
-The Best things in life are free;
- The Bowery;
- The Gunfighter;
- The Lieutenant wore skirts;
- Chad Hanna;
- Me and my Gal;
- A Ticket to Tomahawk;
- Now I'll tell

Last edited:

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Danny, I would buy any of these titles!

From Sony, I would also like The More the Merrier, Holiday, Talk of the Town, The Awful Truth, Theodora Goes Wild, The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings again.

And from Fox all those great musicals, film noir, Forever Amber, Sitting Pretty, Loretta Young...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Strangers When We Meet (1960) Columbia

That's a good suggestion! I love romantic melodramas and this one is pretty good. Plus we get a chance to see Walter Matthau and Ernie Kovacs playing roles quite unlike what we expect from them, plus an early look at Nancy Kovack, an actress I've always found interesting. Charles Lang was the cinematographer so Kim looks great.

Novak, Kovacs and Kovack, all in the same film!

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

Scars would be great, along with Dracula AD 1972 and The Satanic Rites of Dracula- the latter seemingly having languished in PD hell for years.

Outside of Hammer, I'd love to see special editions of more Bronson films, including Death Wish 3 & 4. (Particularly keen on an isolated score for 3).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One of my favourite early sixties westerns is Rio Conchos. I have the bargain Blu-ray (it comes with three other films), & it looks okay, but over at blu-ray.com a while back there was a list of 4K transfers (by studio), & I was surprised to see that Rio Conchos was on the Fox list. If there was a much better transfer I'd buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks