What's new

Your movie/tv show opposites. Where u go against the masses? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmm....you know I avoided this thread like the plague because I thought it was just another "I hate popular film XXX & popular director XXX & popular actor/actress XXX" cleverly rephrased to disguise what it really was...and because those threads usually get shut down rather quickly from all of the arguing that goes on.
I still think that this thread was started in that vein but seemingly it has morphed into something entirely different, a cathartic thread to vent your hate (in a reasonable manner) without fear of retribution from the masses.
A novel thread, we'll see how it goes.

Rap....you can compare it with most other forms of popular music in that when it reaches critical mass of popularity enough people have heard it to start pointing out it's many flaws....some don't need nearly that long.:D
It's pretty hard for me to accept the boasts of the hard "Ghetto-life" from a billionaire living in bel-air with a butler that wipes his own ass for him.:thumbsdown: Any "music" that relies almost entirely on rhythm is not music to me, it is a parade march.

Similarly, Grunge was something I liked during it's hey day but after a while I began asking the obvious questions such as, isn't it hard to accept "teen angst" from a 33 year old multi-millionaire?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK... I am still trying to figure out how a thread meant to air minority opinions about movies and TV shows became about the evils of rap?

--
H

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
More Gripes....

* Actors/actresses are far too good looking for the most part. 100 years of the worlds best looking people flocking to Hollywood, only to breed with other beautiful people, has created a race of magazine models so far detached from reality that my dibelief cannot be suspended because these "things" can't possible be human anymore. Sorry, I can't feel the dramatic plight of someone carved out of plastic.

Of course there are exceptions to this, most old-guard holdovers like James Caan and Anjelica Huston who still resemble real people, and there will always be a trickle of new generation talent, Peter Sormare comes to mind. And Hollywood (and independants) NEED more realistic average people. It allows us to connect.

* Too many teens/young adults in horror films. Do any of the B&W greats have a cast under 25? No! Did the exorcist's lead role fall on a 20 something? No! It went to Max von Sydow who was in his 50's at the time. And what happened? Oh, it became the refrence post-WW2 horror film.

* Mustangs must get smashed. There is an unwritten rule somewhere that any and all Ford Mustangs seen in film must be destroyed by the end credits. I don't know how this started, but its getting to the point you know there will be a car chase if you see someone in a Mustang in the beginning o the film.

* Too many happy endings. I like when the good guy loses and the fecal matter hits the rotary-oscillator. 'Soylent Green is People!' (and presumably still in production), 'Its a horrible space-alien baby!', zombies eat the boat!

* James Horner..... just retire already, its the same score just slightly diffrent. And it totally rips-off Holst. And Wagner to a point. And Poledouris..... again, try something new.

DavidBC

Second Unit

I was sure I'd be the only one with this! I think it's an absolutely facinating experiment/exercise in pointlessness. The differences in performance with some very talented actors is striking.

some more:
Seven is not spelled with any numbers!
All FOUR Alien movies rule!
Scorsese's best movie since Taxi Driver is The Age of Innocence
Hitchcock has more bad movies than any other Great Director.
Panic Room is David Fincher's best. Fight Club his worst
Family Guy is awful. It is not funny, not shocking, not clever, not offensive, not subversive or satirical; it's just bad.
Being anti-Julia Roberts on a forum like this is hardly "contrary".
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is the best movie of the 1960s
Annie Hall deserved it's Oscars.
Falling In Love has two of DeNiro and Streep's most interesting performances.
Madeline Kahn is the greatest thing the movies ever gave us.
Madonna gives very good performances in Desperately Seeking Susan, Dangerous Game, Evita, and the last half of Swept Away
Sharon Stone is an incredible actress, even in the crap that she generally appears in
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio should be mentioned in the same breath as Streep, Sarandon, Spacek, Weaver, etc...
Birth was one of last years best movies

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Here's one that will get me shot.

I don't like Family Guy or The Chapelle Show. I have found neither to hold my interest. Yes, I have seen both, but each time I drifted towards reading the newspaper or something.

Seinfeld is fun, but I could never watch more than 2 episodes in a row.

I wore out on The Simpsons in the mid 90's after the mass popularity of the early 90's started to wear down. I loved The Simpsons Arcade Video Game more than the show. It was an early 90's blast. That said, Seasons 5 and 6 are my favs and the only two I own.

Anyways, here are a few more.

Roseanne Seasons 1-5 were entertaining & almost realistic. Right after David moves in and Darlene goes to College, this show sinks each season until the utter bomb that was it's last season. Shame as I thought the first half of Season 5 was a pretty strong season. Season 6 has a few standouts. They ruin the character of Jackie completely after her pregnancy. Near end, the show drifted into utter unrealistic stupidity with all the dream sequences.

Married with Children bombed after Peggy's pregnancy in Season 6. The show stunk from start of Season 6 all the way till it's end. The No'Mam introduced later on was just plain dumb and cheesy too. Seasons 1-5 were all it should have been and pretty entertaining.

Thw Waltons and Little House on the Prarie were both actually good shows. You just have to like that sort of thing.

The Brady Bunch was absolute pure dribble, but I still watched it and found it somewhat entertaining.

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs is one of the most uninteresting and annoying Disney movies for me. I prefer Cinderella/The Little Mermaind/most anything else in the Disney line by far over it.

The Peanuts made very decent tv holiday specials (though I guess most Peanuts fans would agree).

I laughed at Forest Gump. I know I should be ashamed.

Ren and Stimpy has aged badly since the early 90's. What was fun then in this show just doesnt work now.

Angel's final season started off completely terrible, but it took an upswirel mid-season and became somewhat interesting again as they followed the previous seasons.

I'll give Jessie one. Cable Tv is a pure ripoff and has drifted so far away from it's original concept in the last 20 years that it's not even funny.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You have to wonder (and this is directed at no one & in particular) just how many of these are genuine opinion and how many are just trying to pick something popular for the "scandalous" thrill of it all. :)

The Thin Red Line was a failure as a film, it had good characters, an interesting book to work from, a few very well done scenes but in the end fell victim to it's director's higher aspirations...at the expense of the film's narrative.

...that was an honest one. ;)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
My Second Rant:

While I appreciate John Lithgow on 3rd Rock, I HATE Rasing Cain -

I think Brian DePalma is overrated.

Scarface, while great, is nothing compared to Serpico

Robert DeNiro is excellent... in New York, New York.

I enjoyed Deuces Wild

Norm MacDonald is a funny, funny guy.

SNL is perfect, always has been. (especially these last 4 or 5 years)

Mean Girls is a super film.

Randy Quaid is an underrated character actor.

I hate Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond (except Doris, you my boo!) :) and only mildy like Seinfield (for George and Kramer)

Police Story Trilogy is one of best - ever.

The Brady Bunch films are genuinly funny, as well as Starsky and Hutch.

Hollow Man, Stir of Echoes - Kevin Bacon.

Gary Busey is fairly underrated.

Chris Elliot is one of the most underused SNL allum.

Master of Disguise gets a big thumbs up from me!

Christian Slater is great - Gleaming the Cube (where is the DVD), Kuffs, Pump up The Volume, Legend of Billy Jean. :)

I will gladly purchase all of the Nick Rewind collection!

The Simpsons is the best show on television.

Martin Scorsese my favorite non-Academy Award winning director.

Michael Keaton is the best Batman, ever.

Ryan

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh, Ryan reminded me:
I also think Brian DePalma is overrated....when he is good he's good, but when he's at his most Hitchcockian wannabe....UGG.:thumbsdown:

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Here's more.

The Lucy/Desi Comedy hour was very bad. The quality dip between I Love Lucy and this extension of I Love Lucy is horrific.

Archie Bunkers Place was a good show when it first started. It's first half season in basically All in the Family Season 10 where we still have our original characters show up. I would say it's even better than the last season of All in the Family which wasn't all that good. After that, it was all down hill.

The Wb and Fox has put out some good shows over the years.

The O.C. Season 1 was generally a good show. Season 2 turned it into what people who didn't see it or follow it would think of it originally.

I saw a Mary Kate & Ashley movie (not my idea) that I actually found entertaining. Believe me. I don't think anyone would admit this if it wasn't true.

I thought the first two American Ninja movies were a hellava good time when they first came out. Not so much now.

I like the movie "Misery" alot not. I didn't like it at all when first released. Fatal Attraction which I did once like I now find bor

Everybody Loves Raymond. I don't mind the show ever now and again, but Raymond is a character who I would have liked to see shot on The Final Episode.

I liked the Who Framed Roger Rabbit Animated shorts better than the movie.

I have tried so hard to get back into Rocky & Bullwinkle with the release of the DVD's, but I just can't do it and have given up.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still holds up for me.

I don't like any of The Evil Dead movie and never have even at 12. That includes Army of Darkness.

21 Jump Street has dated so much I can't even believe it (well, everything except Johnny Depp it seems), yet I still find it a nice blast to the past.

The Exorcist was one of the best comedies the year I saw it at the theater in the late 90's. So much fun, just not in the ways intentioned.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
But it's such a bad excuse for music, that I'm not at all surprised that it morphed into direct attacks on rap. Bringing things back to film:

Saturday Night Fever is a really bad soap opera, with some of the worst music ever made - a disco soundtrack. And in this case, two wrongs make a complete waste of celluloid.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I agree 1,000,000% with everyone who said rap is not music, and is awful.

"Gangs of New York" was a disjointed mess. If it weren't for the elaborate sets and an OK lead, the movie would have been this century's biggest bomb to date. "The Aviator" was far better.

The very concept of the Emmys is now absurd.

"The Simpsons" was a great show once, but it has been overpraised so much that trying to "save" it is all but a lost cause. The show could theoretically improve slightly and it'll still get bashed. What it needs is a full-fledged renaissance and I can't see that happening.

SNL should have ended with the departure of all of the original cast. There's been more bad than good since then, and it's probably going to go downhill from here.

I didn't mind seeing the 1985-1986 season of "Dallas" being one of Pam's dreams as much as I minded the revolving-door casting of the final 5 seasons. By the final season (probably my least favorite season) only J.R., Bobby, and Cliff were left of the original cast, and J.R. had turned passive-agressive. I liked the final episode, though.

"The Golden Palace" was far better than AfterMASH, What's Happening Now, any of the Brady Bunch sequels, or most any of the TV sequel series that came.

Is there any reason "The West Wing" is still on the air?

I never liked any of the TGIF shows. In fact, the only one I even tolerated was "Family Matters," and that went on twice as long as it should have.

One "Law and Order" at a time, please.

I don't think it's possible for movies to be 100% realistic.

The only way to increase movie theater attendance is to make better movies and better movie theaters.

Hating "Titanic" is not a minority opinion (not here, at any rate); while some genuinely hate it, I believe some just jumped on the backlash bandwagon.

And I assure you I am not lying about a single solitary thing I have posted in this thread.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

But it is true that this is off topic, how about someone opening a similarly themed thread in the music section, vent your dislikes for any music style or artist with No rebuttals, just random thoughts pro/con on the masses of musical taste.......on second thought....that could get pretty nasty because I seriously doubt that the music people would honor the "no rebuttal" rule. :)

Never mind. :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"To address a point made earlier, while just saying that something "sucks" or "is overrated" isn't enough to justify an opinion, at the same time it's extreme that some people regard some things so highly that they get upset if anything in that matter is said about it"

I think most will try to restrain themselves from saying "such and such sucks" most of the time here, but the nature of this thread has brought that out in people who otherwise wouldnt say that.This thread was supposed to be fun, and give us a chance to say some things we normally wouldnt.In case anyone was offended Ive removed the "sucks" from my post.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ways in which my media tastes diverge from the norm... (surprisingly interesting thread)

Bouquets
* Everyone likes Toy Story 2. But I think it is sublime storytelling. It uses a "childrens' story" to address adult fears of abandonment, growing old, and death.

* Ernest Goes to Camp is a great comedy! (Eggsaronious, indeed.)

* Ernest Saves Christmas is ever better than ...Camp (wish my car had air brakes.)

* Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is gorgeous. It also has some of the best visual design and most creative aliens of any sci-fi movie. Though a mediocre movie, its worth watching soley for the visuals.

* The ending to A.I. is tragic. Certainly not sappy.

Brickbats
* Both Toy Story 2 and The Matrix would have been better choices than any of the 2000 nominees for Best Picture.

* American Beauty was a dull movie espousing dim-witted "commentary" on middle-class life. How it won Best Picture in 2000 (esp. over The Insider and The Sixth Sense) is beyond me.

* The Lion King, while a good Disney movie, is a lesser to its peers.

* Luke Skywalker is a whiner

* Heat is a two hour movie crammed into three (but maybe this is a majority opinion?)

* Monsters Inc. was a better movie than Shrek, and should have won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Round 3. By the way, I accept flames via private message. :)

The remake of The Blob is better than the original.

Tourist Trap is a better horror movie than any of the 80's slashers.

Mary-Louise Parker should be a bigger star than Julia Roberts.

Sean Astin will never make a better movie than Rudy.

Dudley Moore wasn't all that funny.

Sylvester Stallone and Burt Reynolds should call it quits.

Seann William Scott isn't even worthy of a Disney Channel sitcom, much less a movie career.

The last five minutes of The Game ruined the whole movie.

I have no desire to see Citizen Kane.

Lionel Barrymore gave the best performance in It's a Wonderful Life.

Christine MacIntire of the Three Stooges shorts was one of the sexiest and best comic actresses of all time.

Blythe Danner is more beautiful than daughter Gwyneth Paltrow.

Turner Classic Movies should spawn a second channel devoted to movies from the 70's and beyond.

Two of the worst-regarded Brady Bunch episodes - Cindy as Shirley Temple and Greg with the orange hair - are two of my favorites.

ER has been a joke since Julianna Marguilies left.

Everybody Loves Raymond is the funniest sitcom of the past 10 years, however, Ray Romano should never make another sitcom and Brad Garrett should stick to supporting roles.

Wendy Makkena should be carrying her own show instead of being stuck in junk like Oliver Beene and Listen Up.

I can't even stand the Will & Grace commercials, much less the program.

24 should lose Kim Raver and bring back Kim Bauer.

The peak years of The Facts of Life are funnier than the peak years of The Golden Girls.

Kirstie Alley had only one good year on Cheers and then turned into a whining ninny.

Sally Struthers is an underrated comic actress.

M*A*S*H is overexposed in syndication.

The pilot of The Cosby Show was more realistic than the rest of the series.

Roseanne was only good until they bought that stupid sandwich shop.

Desi Arnaz's musical numbers brought I Love Lucy to a screeching halt.

Oprah's show would be tolerable without that godforsaken studio audience.

The Disney Channel was ruined when it was taken over by 12-year-old girls.

At least one of the cable news channels needs to disappear.

All daytime soaps need to disappear.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Sean Penn is Overrated.

Chris Penn is Underrated.

Donner's Superman is horrible.

Will Smith, Will Ferrell and Martin Lawrence are terrible, terrible actors living repeatedly off of the same shtick in every performance.

Anybody "doing" Belushi is not funny to me. (see: Chris Farley)

SNL is dead, and all the players need to go back on the road to find their talent again.

Same for MAD TV.

Owen Wilson and Ashton Kutcher should be banned from movies for 5 years.

The Coen Brothers aren't funny.

90% of Hip-Hop music is absolute garbage, the 10% left over is sheer brilliance. There is plenty of Rap music that is completely original in its lyrics, rhythym, and structure that you will never hear because well... you don't like Rap.

I like Country music, well Country music when it was about drinking whiskey, strife and shooting people because they wronged you somehow. Not about pickup trucks puppy dogs and grocery stores.

I strongly dislike Joss Whedon's writing.

JMS doesn't really do it for me either.

Firefly was horrible.

Every Superhero movie since '88 owes Frank Miller a screenwriting credit. Not that this is a good thing, Ang Lee was crucified for breaking "formula".

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Will and Grace is bloody awful.

Family Matters was not funny in the least.

Full House is quite possibly the worst thing ever created in the history of existence.

The Oscars are a joke. Talent and creativity are not necessarily rewarded.

By the way, I can understand certain people not liking certain movies or shows, but to vow to never see it in the first place? Ridiculous. You're only depriving yourself. You shouldn't even mention it on this thread if you haven't seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks