What's new

Your movie/tv show opposites. Where u go against the masses? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I could go on...

Digital cinema is not movies, it's TELEVISION!

Post-1960s cinematography is a f---ing JOKE. How can you expect an audience to watch a film when they can barely stand to look at it?

The Facts of Life was eons better than Saved by the Bell or Dawson's Creek.

Queer as Folk sets gay people back 50 years.

Family Guy is light-years better than post-2000 Simpsons. Deal with it.

Malcolm in the Middle never should have gotten to pilot stage.

I'd strongly prefer to watch Punky Brewster rather than Frasier.

I refuse without hesitation to buy bastardized versions of movies or TV shows on DVD.

I refuse to ever see the recent "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". If Roald Dahl hated the original film that's his problem, not mine. He took liberties with original as co-writing the script of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (1968 film based on Ian Fleming's book) and has the nerve to get upset over changes in the 1971 Wonka. This strikes me as more than a little hypocritical.

I usually don't get upset when a film makes changes to a source material if it's still a good film.

Spielberg used to be a good director, but he's been coasting since the vastly overrated A.I.

Paris Hilton is not sexy. Neither is Renée Zellweger or Julia Roberts.

I can, quite frankly, take or leave Titanic.

Musicals didn't die. They were murdered. And not by their high budgets, but by flashy Hollywood executives who would rather spend a little money on a POS like "Easy Rider" than an entertaining (though pricey) musical that could make its money back in the long term. Now to make a movie musical today, you have to either mooch off of Broadway or take a chance on non-musical stars.

Which leads me to this one. Richard Gere should have gotten an Oscar nomination for "Chicago." He deserved it more than Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Lindsay Lohan's only decent film to date was "Mean Girls".

"Coach Carter" is the best new film I've seen this year.

Clint Eastwood should declare a hiatus from making or acting in downbeat films for at least 5 years and make some comedies.

I hate most of Disney's recent rash of remakes for either theaters or TV. I'd watch the original "Annie" or "Music Man" films a million times before I watched the TV versions once.

I'm genuinely surprised that the repercussions of this thread aren't too severe.

Hey, that's what I was going to say!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Both Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, while decent character actors in dramas, were consistantly lousy screen comedians.

Charlie Chaplin was a very talented and clever individual, but about as funny as an empty paper bag. Ditto the Marx Bros.

Apart from about 10 minutes' worth of then-groundbreaking special effects, JURASSIC PARK was worse than Irwin Allen's THE LOST WORLD (1960).

THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST is a better (and funnier) political satire than DR. STRANGELOVE.

Despite surface appearances, Bob Clampett's best WB cartoons were more sophisticated (and funnier) than Chuck Jones' quintessential shorts.

MY NAME IS MODESTY was a good film, and should've spawned a series of new Modesty Blaise features.

The louder a Gene Wilder character screams his lines, the less funny he is.

The "zanier" a Cary Grant character acts, the less funny he is.

The beach landing in Cornel Wilde's BEACH RED (1967) was more affecting than the similar sequence in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

John Travolta was the worst thing in the excellent PULP FICTION, and didn't deserve the career boost he got from the film.

SOME LIKE IT HOT is one of the least funny major comedies I can think of, and probably Billy Wilder's worst film (and most of his films were great).

PLEASANTVILLE was a well-acted and beautifully-shot example of hackneyed pap, with a "message" more simplistic and predjudicial than the 1950s sitcom world it was attempting to parody/subvert.

Dean Martin, on his worst day, was a hundred times funnier than Jerry Lewis was at his best.

Steven Spielberg's recent comedy-dramas (CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, THE TERMINAL) are far better than his recent serious sci-fi films (A.I., MINORITY REPORT... one caveat: I haven't seen WAR OF THE WORLDS yet).

SWEET HOME ALABAMA and MEET THE FOCKERS should've been monumental flops.

George Lazenby was a better James Bond than either Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

I could be missing out on some war underneath the surface, but this has consistently been the most civilized internet forum I've ever visited, so I'm not THAT surprised. It's still kind of crazy, though.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If anything, this thread is just all about cutting through the bullshit and laying all of our cards on the table for all to see, so there are no misunderstandings.

I'm telling you, this may prove to be one of the most significant threads here, I said things in my post above that I would never DREAM of saying in any other circumstance because I would be cut to shreds, however in a thread all ABOUT being honest, it prohibits any sort of backlash.

Ryan has found a way around the system. :D

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
GREAT thread. Love the opinions. :)

1. The first five seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" contain some of the best, most moving drama to be found anywhere on television. Weird. But you have to drudge through hours of overly clever, dopey, affected dialogue in order to find it.

2. Steven Spielberg's movies are best viewed once, in the theater, and mainly for the high-budget special effects. But the visuals eventually lose their luster. Except for a few of his early films, he just can't resist giving the audience, or his main characters, sappy, overt "epiphanies" which dilute and drain out any potential thematic resonance.

3. Million Dollar Baby and Crash, both written by Paul Haggis, are overrated, manipulative melodramas.

4. "The Simpsons" lost steam a long time ago. It has long been the shadow of a parody of itself. Quite an achievement, considering it started off as a well-written sitcom parody. "Family Guy", for all its annoying (and let's face it, perishable) pop culture references has a bolder irreverence which makes it the more viable show right now.

5. Duck Soup is not the best Marx Brothers movie. That would be A Night at the Opera.

6. Doctor Zhivago is a really fine film that earns its emotional payoffs.

7. Anime: "Cowboy Bebop" is a far better series than "Neon Genesis Evangelion", which, among other things, lacked the courage of a comprehensible conclusion. Think I'm in the majority? I'm actually not.

8. Rushmore is a better movie than Bottle Rocket.

9. I was offended, confused, and/or physically sickened by nearly every hyperkinetic frame of the popular Armageddon. But I really like The Rock, which is a far more effective thriller with better characters.

10. Lost Highway is David Lynch's underrated masterpiece. It's better than Blue Velvet.

OK, I'm done. I could go all day.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

You know, I've never even thought of it before, but that opinion is so true it may as well be considered a scientific law.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I hated Forrest Gump - manipulative and overly sentimental. Suspending disbelief is one thing, but this movie was trying to NUKE disbelief. Tom Hanks, however, did deserve his Oscar.

I second the notion that Becker should still be in production. Since it isn't, why is it NOT on DVD yet?!

I never "got" the original Battlestar Galactica, and I don't "get" the new version, either.

What alternate reality are "Reality shows" tapping into anyway?

I like Jessica Alba, just not for the same reason my brothers do.

What was with the anti-Hulk mania? I liked the movie, and Eric Bana was the real discovery for me in that one.

Is it possible to like a performer, but not the role/movie he or she was in? For example, I love Anthony Hopkins, but I hated Hannibal.

Though a good actor, Wesley Snipes makes a butt-ugly drag queen - see "To Wong Foo, thanks for everything Julie Newmar" for reference.

Until Frank Darabont, no one could make a decent movie of Stephen King novels.

The only recent remake I have liked was "The Italian Job." I would also like to see the original with Michael Caine.

Why do all of the damned shopping channels ALWAYS get the good inventory in when I am completely broke?

I have to confess, I love big budget summer action/adventure movies, far more than a serious or Oscar worthy drama. But, what happened to the big budget summer "events?" They used to be a lot more fun - okay, light on plot, but still fun!

I miss TV shows that used TALENT for casting criteria, rather than bra size.

I'd like to see Oscars given out to more than one deserving performer in a tie.

Nielsen ratings determine which shows stay on the air. Why don't they ever ask me? Of course, I'd probably shoot down most of the stuff on TV and send the studios back to the drawing boards until they got it right.

Does anyone go to the movies critics hated? If a movie gets great critical press, I am immediately suspicious.

I cannot stand "chick flicks." The genre is overblown, shamelessly, emotionally manipulative, and filled with grating cliches. I don't see how "empowering" it is for women when the movies change the male characters into the same dumb stereotypes of the female characters in movies targeted at male audiences.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The opinions are real but it seems this is being used as a "funny" thread so to speak. I'm sure if I went into a SW thread saying the films were overblown by fanboys that I'd be skinned alive. :b

I'll also add that THE WIZARD OF OZ is best viewed with the mute button on and Dark Side of the Moon playing in the background with some blacklights on and a smoking pipe. ;)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Wayne punched through a door on a bet. He also took down on of Sinatra's bodyguards who was larger than Wayne. Incidently, the loud party Sinatra was having, which is why Wayne came to see him because it was disturbing him, quieted down after the altercation. He injured himself one time on set but kept filming despite being in terrible pain because he didn't want to disappoint his fans. To top it off, he made an appearance at the Oscars a few months before dying from cancer. If you do not think that's toughness, well, there's no hope for you. : )

To get back on topic:

You don't have to have fought in WW2 to be considered tough. It does help though.

I think the Pacino Scarface is the worst gangster movie of all time. It's also a severly overrated movie that is nothing more than a series of humorous (for the wrong reasons) one-liners, profanity, and violence, which is the only reason for it's popularity. Pacino's worst acting (or overacting) job period.

John Wayne was actually a better actor than what people give him credit for. And The Academy even saw fit to award him for it. Granted he played the exact same character or a slight variation throughout, but he was still believeable in most roles and did bring a warmth and immense charm to his characters, a trait sorely lacking from many actors of today. He was even capable of subtlety sometimes if you know what to look for.

Clive Owen's performances should be prescribed to people with insomnia.

Doctor Zhivago bored me so much I couldn't even finish it. I will give it another chance, but not soon.

I agree with the gentleman that didn't like Gladiator. One of the worst Best Pictures ever. Terrible battle scenes and bad special effects ruin the film. I wasn't taken to the period at all.

Goldeneye was the best recent Bond. The series went continually downhill from there. Halle Berry and Denise Richards were terrible choices for Bond girls and are a blemish to the tradition. Brosnan was also the second best Bond, but his full potential was ruined by terrible writing (i.e. one-liners) and bad movies period!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Truffaut is a much better critic than he is a filmmaker.

Godard is even a worse critic than he is a filmmaker.

There's never been a reality show on tv that was any good.

Anyone who criticizes a film that is based on a real story for not being 100% has unrealistic and very naive expectations about such films.

The Oscars should have a retro-award each year where they correct one of their many past mistakes. They could start by taking away the best picture oscar for Cimarron. Or even better yet transferring the best picture oscar from Annie Hall to Star Wars.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have no use for any Quentin Tarantino film (everytime I start to watch one, I keep asking myself "when is this going to get good like people say?").

It astounds me that people eagerly pay attention to "reality" shows, featuring vapid, money hungry nitwits and bimbos chosen for their looks.

I cannot stand any of the Austin Powers films. A hideous, repulsive, stupid, unfunny character, as well as all the other Mike Myers characters.

Every one of the Alli-Brit-Jen-Jess ad naseum "stars" are worthless artifacts of the show business hype machine.

ANY film for which the typical defense is

It's a popcorn flick

Turn off your brain and enjoy/I don't want to think at the movies

It's good if you go in with sufficiently low expectations

is not worth my time, and those who defend them have no business wondering why most Hollywood product isn't better.

Those who have prematurely embraced digital over film are more in love with technology than giving the best presentation.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
  • Jurassic Park 3 is far superior to the completely horrible Lost World, but even the first Jurassic Park movie is only passable.
  • I have no use for any Matrix movie, including the original.
  • Pee Wee's Big Adventure is Tim Burton's best movie, followed by Big Fish.
  • Batman Begins is the only good Batman film.
  • I can't even stand to look at George Clooney, and Julia Roberts is no picnic.
  • Schindler's List is not that great a movie, and it's insulting that some take that statement to indicate a lack of concern about the Holocaust.
  • I'd rather watch The Empire Strikes Back than Citizen Kane any day of the week.
  • "Trash" comedies of the '80s were much better than their modern counterparts: see Revenge of the Nerds, Summer School, etc. and then see American Pie, Something About Mary
  • Shawshank was a good prison movie. The Green Mile was not.
  • The Brady Bunch Movie was an insult and ushered in the era of TV to Movie translations that have no respect for their source material.
  • Movies and TV shows were better when actors looked like adults and not kids playing dress-up.
  • No matter how much they overwork the laugh track, modern sitcoms such as That '70s Show are miserable pieces of trash.
  • The best Star Trek series was Deep Space Nine, but Voyager was an enjoyable show overall.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Judy Garland was too old for The Wizard of Oz.

Cicely Tyson deserved the Oscar for Sounder.

Patch Adams wasn't all that bad.

Lord of the Rings should be called Bored Out of My Mind.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a good movie, but it's not particularly funny.

Key Largo is a snoozefest.

I love Pulp Fiction but I couldn't care less about seeing any other Tarantino film.

I would rather watch Ben Kingsley in Searching for Bobby Fischer than in Gandhi.

There is no reason for any more mob movies to be made.

Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch is funny.

Jan Brady was hotter than Marcia.

Bailey on WKRP in Cincinnati was sexier than Jennifer.

Saccharine and cloying as it is, Full House is sometimes LOL funny.

I have never watched one second of any reality show, not even the first Survivor.

Michael Landon was a lousy actor and a sanctimonious, melodramatic hack of a producer.

The Olesons of Little House on the Prairie were more interesting and entertaining than the Ingalls family.

Arthur rules and Spongebob Squarepants sucks.

Never saw Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad or South Park and I don't give a hoot about any of 'em.

Jerry Bruckheimer has too many shows on TV.

Without a Trace is a much better show than Law & Order.

Joyce DeWitt wasn't particularly funny or sexy on Three's Company.

Tony Danza and Jeff Conaway added nothing to Taxi.

VH1 has run its I Love the... series into the ground.

MTV needs to disappear.

Two and a Half Men can't even manage two and a half laughs.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't see a problem with this thread as long as everyone keeps doing as they are so far and doesn't begin flaming each other over their picks.

I've read many things in this thread that got to me, but I just let em' slide because that's what the subject calls for me to do. :emoji_thumbsup:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Comedy is harder to do well than drama...and comedies are underrated...while dramas are overrated.

The Apartment is better than Taxi Driver

Adam's Rib is better than Gone with the Wind

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is better than Sunrise

The Thin Man is better than Raging Bull

etc., etc., etc.

Cary Grant is very underrated as an actor

The problem with almost all silent dramas is the very bad overacting seen in the sound era only on Gilligan's Island. Only Charlie Chaplin seems to have been able to play pathos (such as the New Year's Eve scene in the Gold Rush), realistically, without hamming it up.

Edward Norton's best movie by far is Keeping the Faith, but since it's a comedy, it gets far less respect than the horribly overrated Fight Club.

There are a lot of sucky remakes out there, but there are also lots of remakes as good as the original, though only a few that are really better than the original.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Some more:

"Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie" is the most underrated comedy of all time (where's the DVD release? one that doesn't go for $100 on Ebay?).

A "Terminator 4" without Arnold might not be the worst idea.

And while we're on sequels, "Scream 4" isn't either.

I can find no redeeming qualities in "South Park."

"The Hulk" is one of the better Marvel movies.

"The Highlander" sequels aren't that bad.

The "Sleepaway Camp" series doesn't get enough attention.

"Freddy vs. Jason" was the best horror film in years.

"Goldeneye" is the best Bond movie ever.

"Halloween H20" is the worst in that series, and the seventh entry would have been better served to go DTV (as was the plan).

Digital cinema is not the death of movies as we know it. It's a GOOD thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks