What's new

Your movie/tv show opposites. Where u go against the masses? (2 Viewers)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I can't really think of too many off the top of my head except that:

Tombstone is a wildly overrated film. It has a good cast but the dialogue is hilariously awful (Star Wars prequel quality in many respects), everything Michael Biehn does in the film is unintentionally hilarious (love the INTENSE~ Latin-speaking battle), and the movie pretty much blows its load with the OK Corral shootout, leaving the third act as an incoherent and unsatisfying mess.

David Cronenberg's movies consistently make me laugh even though they're not comedies. The scissors suicide in The Dead Zone, the guy's hand melting off in The Fly, the stairway sex scene in A History of Violence (which is pretty much a really pretentious Steven Seagal movie), many other examples...good laughs there :)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I am WAY late to this party...but this is an awesome thread!

My contributions:

1. Tarantino is the most offensive filmmaker around today. His films only play to our most selfish impulses--especially those of us in the fanboy community--and have no redeeming value whatsoever. If I had a time machine, I would go back in time and erase the fact that I ever watched any of his movies.

2. The Last Action Hero is one of--if not the--best films by Arnie.

3. The Matrix sequels shouldn't be criticized unless you are willing to watch them a second time. They are that dense...

4. A circus monkey could have directed LOTR and still made them a hit...Jackson's work on LOTR is highly overrated and it's a travesty that he has an Oscar for directing and Lucas does not. I still love the films but their strength lies in the source material...whenever Jackson departs from said source material the movies suffer.

5. Attack of the Clones is the most fun I've ever had in a movie theater. It is the best Star Wars film on first viewing, only losing quality with subsequent viewings.

6. The comic book film community didn't know what they had with Ang Lee's Hulk. And it's an absolute travesty that the editing of the film wasn't recogznied during reward season.

7. Pleasantville is the most offensive movie I have ever seen.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Ali: Director's Cut is the 2nd best film of the new century, and one of Mann's best efforts to date.

Domino by Tony Scott represents a milestone in experimental cinema and organic photochemical, non-digital visual flair.

Man On Fire is an excellent film on all fronts.

Gandhi is a terrible, indulgent film that grossly misunderstands its title character and stands as one of the worst examples of "biopic syndrome" in cinema history, treating Gandhi as an uninsteresting enigma and only focusing on sequential events he experienced and completely ignoring the man himself. Ali is the antidote to this film, which has more spiritual resonance than Gandhi (the film) even though it's about an athlete.

The Village is Shyamalan's best film behind Unbreakable, his masterpiece. Both are challenging to the mind and rewarding on a gut emotional level, particularly The Village.

Alexander: Director's Cut is a highly ambitious, challenging, difficult picture that demands to be taken seriously, contemplated deeply, and seen more than once.

Michael Bay is an exeptionally talented visual stylist, so much so that he can sustain a film on the strength of cinematography and editing alone. Bad Boys II is his masterpiece.

Ron Howard and Chris Columbus are towering blockades that stand in the way of the progress of cinema. The Da Vinci Code is among the worst films of 2006. George Lucas belongs in this group as well, as he is an alarmingly incompetent director. His creative imagination and love for all things digital could be better applied in other areas of the field.

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut stands as the best film of its type of the recent era, as it is one with the most relevant content to our time. It is alsoone of the most beautifully shot films in history- Ridley Scott just keeps getting better.

Steven Spielberg is an excellent filmmaker, capable of tackiling any genre with aplomb. Amistad is a masterpiece.

All that said, I respect and value all of the many divergent opinions expressed in this thread.

Regards,
Nathan

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I despise all forms of reality television and pity anyone whose time is so worthless to them that they watch it.

I've seen all the Star Wars films but have never understood their appeal. The acting and directing is universally awful. Their sole reason for being seems to be as showreels for ILM to sell their FX capabilities to other, better films.

I have never found Adam Sandler remotely funny. His continued popularity is inexplicable, IMO.

I've also never been particularly amused by Mel Brooks.

I do love the humor of ZAZ (Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker) as a team and separately.

I think the Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau films are some of the funniest films ever made....with the exception of the original Odd Couple which was lacking any humor.

My Fellow Americans with Jack Lemmon and James Garner is one of my favorite comedies of all time. It's hard to believe Jack Lemmon was ever a dramatic actor, as he did comedy so well.

I really can't stand Tim Allen, George Clooney, Russell Crowe, Catherine Zeta Jones, or Renee Zellweger. I do enjoy some films they appear in, but attribute it solely to the ability of the rest of the ensemble cast working hard enough to overcome the negatives of these a-holes.

I don't believe that an animation automatically = kiddie flick.

Timothy Dalton was the best Bond ever.

Having lived with and enjoyed FX films of the 70's and 80's (such as Jaws, Gremlins, and Indiana Jones), I am able to watch modern FX films without being pulled out of the film and nitpicking every little slight flaw in the CGI.

PatH

Second Unit
I'll answer only one now, maybe more later. I agree the The Ordeal of Dr. Mudd deserves a DVD. But . . . read the recent book Manhunt as well. Mudd knew Booth and had aided in an earlier failed plot to kidnap Lincoln. His repeated claims that he did not know Booth were, charitably, erroneous, though it does not seem that he had anything to do with the assassination. Though I think all will agree that Lincoln is truly an example of the Single Bullet Theory.:)

Still want the DVD, though!

PatH

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
King of the Hill is the best sitcom and the best animated series of the 1990s.

Pixar's films to date have been better than all of Disney's "renaissance" animated films.

The auteur theory of filmmaking added little of value to the making of motion pictures and insults the contributions of all other positions in filmmaking.

Most every show described as an "anti-sitcom" does many of the same things they fault sitcoms for doing.

Happy endings are often justified and there is nothing wrong with them, per se.

South Park may deserve praise for stepping on certain people's toes, but that doesn't make it a good show.

Norman Lear's series may have had some good writing and acting, but they are directly responsible for the rise of the dreaded "very special episodes".

Film is superior to theater and TV in every way.

Tony Danza had less business being in the lead role of a sitcom than McLean Stevenson.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
For some reason everybody hated Bad Boys II, but it's one of my favorite action movies in recent years. Also, apparently everyone is loving Pirates of the Caribbean 2, but I thought it was a MAJOR disappointment. No way this flick should become one of the top grossing films of all-time.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I LOVED The Matrix Revolutions.

I clapped while watching Hook in the theater.

I teared up at the end of Armageddon.

I saw Batman and Robin not once, but TWICE in theaters (yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, either. Maybe it's because I was living in such a tiny town that there was nothing else to do).

I utterly loved The Phantom Menace, and my opinion hasn't changed in the seven years since.

I think that, in parts, Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings succeeded despite his ham-handed writing and directing.

I think Titanic's alright, but no great shakes in the grand scheme of things.

I enjoy 2001, but I don't think it's the religious experience some make it out to be. In fact, I enjoy 2010 a tiny bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks