What's new

Your movie/tv show opposites. Where u go against the masses? (2 Viewers)

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I absolutely hate Lord of the Rings and it's sequels. Stupid wizards and warriors crap, and boring too.

Liked The Postman, Soldier and Resident Evil.

I think Return of the Jedi is the second best Star Wars movie, with Empire Strikes Back being first.

Deep Space Nine was the best of the Star Trek series, and it's not even close.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Requiem For A Dream was not depressing or disturbing- it was cartoony.

Gladiator was crap. Caligula was better.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
All in all there are only about 50 really "classic" Simpsons episodes, and 100 (and counting) out-and-out debacles. For a show with 350+ episodes, which is taught in friggin COLLEGE COURSES, this is beyond pitiful.

Disney is ten times worse now then they were in the late 1970s.

Biopics that try to "bring down" their subject are worse than those that whitewash their lives.

George (C)looney is not talented. He sucked on Facts of Life, he sucked on Roseanne, he sucked on ER, and he only gets work because his aunt was a great singer.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
some of my "controversial" opinions regarding tv and movies

Lord Of The Rings is the most overrated trilogy in history.

A subpar season of South Park is better than a good season of The Simpsons.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is the greatest series ever to grace television and will never be duplicated.

Julia Roberts hasn't done anything worth watching since Erin Brockovich and that she seems to just coast on reputation these days.

Not all of Madonna's movies are that bad.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is not a vital part of EVERYONE'S childhood from the 80's.

I grew up preferring Gremlins to either E.T. or Ghostbusters

The Facts Of Life is a great show that deserves all 9 seasons on DVD, even if the earlier seasons were overrun by "Very Special Episodes"

Lost is slow and boring.

Friends should've ended in 1999 or 2000.

Jennifer Aniston was the weakest of the actresses on the show and didn't deserve to win the Emmy.

American Idol is proof that there is a devil, and the fact that people actually watch the show is proof that people will flock to anything media tells you to.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is a better series than Seinfeld (not to say Seinfeld's a bad show, because it is great, I just like Curb even more)

Will Ferrill is not funny.

Ben Stiller was funny, before he started playing the same character in every film.

House Of Wax was actually one of the best mainstream horror movies in some time, despite having Paris Hilton and the incredibly untalented Chad Michael Murray in the cast.

I have never seen an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond in it's entirity, nor do I plan to.

One Day At A Time is my favorite Norman Lear sitcom.

X-Men and X2 blew the Spiderman movies away.

I hate Jim Carrey comedies but love his dramatic films, especially Eternal Sunshine... and Man On The Moon

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
1) Apart from the visualization, the first half of Star Wars does not entertain me. I am inclined to skip past it.

2) I do not like Star Trek- The Next Generation. And contrary to a majority view, I think it got worse as it went along. I am not a fan of soap opera in space.

3) I think the most definitive and most imaginatively elaborate cartoons in the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies range are post-1948 approximately.

4) There is, I believe, more imagination in Star Trek V than in Star Trek VI, which is just a murder mystery, and not a very interesting one at that.

5) I prefer Alien 3 to Aliens.

6) I do not like Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. He just doesn't have the gravitas for the role, and his being a childhood fan of the series is rather off-putting. But where Brosnan Bonds go, I think Tomorrow Never Dies is superior to Goldeneye.

7) Apart from the first film- and that's mainly owing to Jack Nicholson's hilariously devious performance- I do not care for the Batman franchise.

8) "Spock's Brain" aside, the third season of Star Trek- TOS is, I think, better than the second.

9) I think both seasons of Space: 1999 are good, bold, stimulating, conceptually interesting, entertaining space fantasy.

10) I prefer the second Kolchak TV movie to the first one.

11) Ralph Bakshi's Spiderman 1967-70 episodes, even the cheater ones, impress and appeal to me much more than the Grantray-Lawrence ones.

12) I think the Spider-Man movies would have been better had Peter Parker not had a love interest, or at least not one of prominence to the story.

13) I want to see villains from the 1960s cartoon TV show in the next Spider-Man movie, not Venom or Kraven the Hunter.

14) The new Battlestar Galactica does not appeal to me in the slightest bit. And especially not visually. Muted colors in space fantasy is in my view the wrong aesthetic approach to take.

15) Return of the Pink Panther is my favorite film in the Pink Panther series.

16) I think that Earthquake (1974) is an excellent disaster movie.

17) I hate reality TV, the beginnings of which were the opinions of many of my favorite TV shows of the '70s and early '80s being unbelievable and unrealistic.

All for now.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Casablanca is one of the worst films ever made and yet for some odd reason, people keep recommending it to me. I do not understand the appeal of this movie.

Madonna's best acting can be seen in Who's That Girl. Her comedic skills in that film are great!

Napolean dynamite is not funny. It is not entertaining. It is not witty. It is stupid.

Lost is not that interesting of a show. Despite what those around me who LOVE this show say....it's dumb.

Tim Burton is a genius. Danny Elfman is God.

Johhny Depp is one of, if not, the best actor alive.

Brad M

Second Unit
Stephaine Abrams, who can be seen on the Weather Channel, is the best looking woman on tv.

Star Trek: Nemesis was great.

When it comes to musical movies, Popeye is better than Grease.

American Idol represents everything that is wrong with music today.

Rock Star: INXS was a really great show.

Desperate Housewives sucks.

Entertainment Tonight very seldom reports entertainment news.

Joan Rivers is evil.

The "Bud Light Presents..." radio commercials are the greatest spots to air on the radio, ever.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

lol, I have to agree on this. I became a fan of hers from that movie. I liked some of her music before then, but Who's That Girl was when I realized I loved Madonna.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
This is fun... you all have said alot of things to make me thing of my own list. I can't remember everything but here is a few:

I hated American Beauty. (I saw it AFTER it won best picture and i was PISSED that peice of crap beat The Green Mile.)

I also love Twister, Speed 2, Hook and all those other underrated movies.

I think Michael Bay Makes very fun movies. I adore Armageddon and the Rock is an action movie I never tire of.

I know I will like anything with Steven Spielberg on it.

I have never agreed with the people who think Episode I wasn't very good.

I do not have HBO and have never seen ANY of thier shows. Sex In The City, Soprano's, etc. (Nor do I want to.)

I will probably never see Citizen Kane. No interest.

I have never seen many classic 80's comedies like 16 Candles or The Breakfast Club. I wonder if I ever will.

I'm not an Adam Sandler Fan in general but I did enjoy (and own) 50 First Dates.

That's all I got for now.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
One more I just thought of:

Though I agree with the rule about the even numbered Star Trek movies being better, I loved Star Trek III and saw it ALOT when I was younger. 3 and 4 were what basically made me start liking Star Trek.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

That is so brilliant it needed repeating.

Add one:

Battlestar Galactica is no more "true" sci-fi than Stargate, Star Trek or Star Wars. It's a disaster survival series with tinges of sci-fi. Does one actually believe that if robots were about to wipe out the human race (their perspective) they'd be worried about a free press? Most of the characters are not interesting and the space visuals are only worth watching because they took Firefly's model.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Danny Elfman is probably one of the least talented film composers working today. It's good he's changing his work up a little, but he still has scored waaay too many movies and, with a few exceptions, each one not a memorable score at all.

Tim Burton is a talented filmmaker, but nowhere near being a genius. And so far, his track record is most disappointing. I think he has his best work ahead of him, or at least I hope.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Bad Boys 2 is one of the best sequels ever... It also has some of greatest action sequences ever in a film. Astonishing in most cases.

The only way Back to the Future II could have been better is if Crispin Glover played George throughout the whole film. Probably the best sequel ever, better than the original.

While truly good films, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal are nothing compared to how good Red Dragon is.

Julianne Moore did an excellent job in a recast of Clarise.

Marlon Wayans could truly be something the likes of an Adam Sandler, branching from comedy to drama, but better. He's obviously a good parody writer (Don't Be a Menace...) and he can seriously act (Requiem for a Dream)

The Cable Guy is truly one of the funniest films ever. It's so dark in tone, and people have preconcieved notion of what they want an actor to be.

Val Kilmer and even George Clooney were not bad in their roles as Batman, the villians are fine - it's the raping via Joel Shoe-Shumcker that ruined the two films.

Ed Norton continues to impress me in every role. From Keeping the Faith, to 25th Hour, Red Dragon, and American History X.

History of Violence is a crapfest that makes me wretch. The sad thing is that it will be nominated and I just can not get over it.

While deserving of being in the top 10, maybe even 5 of 2004, "Million Dollar Baby" was not the best film of the year. While Clint has come a long way from "Every Which Way but Loose" - he should have won for "Mystic River" while Scorcese obviously should have taken it for "Aviator."

50 First Dates should be considered one of best films of 2004.

In Living Color is a geniune original. Sketch comedy meets hip-hop, and does so in such a unique way.

MadTV is back to being incredibly funny, after a serious lapse during seasons 7 through 9 or so. The current season 10 is probably as good if not better than the first.

Godzilla with Broderick brought something new to the table, and we ate it up. Great graphics, a fun premise, and overall a well done action flick.

The entire Jurassic Park series is fantastic with Lost World being my favorite. Great tease at the idea of an outbreak on our land.

Walking Tall proved that the a wrestler can go mainstream and do a darn fine job at it. Dwayne Johnson is a good actor, and has a wonderful presence on screen.

That's enough for now, I am sure I'll get some heat for those. :)

Ryan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I like the last 6 seasons of Cheers more than the first 5. I prefer Woody to Coach.

The only Superman that was ever entertaining was the Adventures of Superman TV series.

I'd rather watch the remake of the Longest Yard than the original.

I'd rather watch the documentaries on the LOTR EE DVDs than the films themselves.

I liked the Jefferson years of Married...with Children more than the Steve Rhodes years.

I think anyone that knocks professional wrestling for being scripted and then talks about what movies they enjoy needs to think about that one for just a second.

I think anyone that says movie X is the worst ever probably hasn't seen Ready to Rumble.

I think Treasure Planet is a great movie.

I think Robots is better than most people would give it credit for.

I don't think I've seen 1 good dreamworks CGI film that didn't have the word Shrek somewhere in the title.

I think Friends was a funny show.

I think rap music sucks, and that "rap is crap" is one of the truest songs ever sung.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
This Is Spinal Tap didn't make me laugh once, but the band's appearance on The Simpsons is great.

The Jeffersons was better than The Cosby Show.

I miss Mr. Belvedere.

I can't stand The Andy Griffith Show.

No multiplex should be allowed to play a movie on more than two screens.

No movie should be allowed to spawn more than two sequels.

Owen Wilson is butt-ugly and his popularity is depressing.

I haven't seen any of this summer's films.

Anger Management turned me off of Adam Sandler movies.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wow....this thread brings back memories......Wow, I am a consummate smartass......Wow, I actually had a few half assed intelligent remarks.....where the hell did those thoughts come from? ;)

Josh.C

Second Unit
Wow, looks like I joined after this thread had it's run. Awesome discussion though. I'm gonna chime in w/ some of my opinions that may be in the minority.

I simply cannot stand all the pub Nicole Kidman gets, and how she has been deemed such an incredible leading lady in Hollywood. I think her acting has no depth, and I could name about 300 actresses I believe are more attractive than the red carpet queen.

Finally rented the Deer Hunter a few years back, still waiting for a refund.

Ang Lee is a horrible director, and "The Hulk" is the worst Comic based movie ever made

"Unforgiven" doesn't hold a candle to "Tombstone", which is the best Western ever made.

Brandon Routh is a much better Superman than Christopher Reeves

I'm sick of James Bond movie's. Bunch of explosions, weak acting, and beautiful half naked women- maybe the only reason they are still around.

AI and Alexander are the worst two films I've ever seen aside from obvious low budget B movies, that were never intended to be good.

I love scary movie's but think Hollywood does a pis poor job of making any good ones. Most of today's horror flicks are nothing more than a bunch of horny teenagers running around acting like idiots, instead of truly working on the mind of the audience to create true fear.

I loved the Summer of '96 and thought Twister was freaking awesome!

I still haven't figured out why I bought "A Beautiful Mind "on DVD

Cameron Diaz and Renee Zellweger have never looked as good as they did in "The Mask" and "Jerry Maguire"

"The Natural" is not only the greatest baseball movie of all time, but it is the greatest sports movie of all time.

90% of the movies nominated for best picture Oscar's are no more than a big artsy sack of crap

Tom Hanks is one of the most brilliant actors of my generation

Cinderella Man should have won this past year's Best Picture

Spielberg movies aren't what they used to be

Thats all for now,

JC

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've become very irritated by Tim Burton, all of his movies have that same wierd tone with that same "enchanted" Danny Elfman music.

Thank Christ that he didn't get his hands on Superman Returns! :eek: I mean did you see his conceptual sketch of his idea of Superman!? It promps me to say it again...thank Christ!! Wierd sculptures and spirals everywhere and Elfman's "ahhhhohhhh" children's quire music, enough already.

The Polar Express is the finest Christmas movie to come along in many years.

The Island is one of the greatest sci-fi films in recent memory, almost ranks with The Matrix IMO.

Colin Farrel will never give a better performance in his career than he did in Phone Booth, he was freakin' amazing in that!

Camilla Belle is one of the most beautiful actresses i've ever seen with these two eyeballs, if you don't believe me, watch the remake of When a Stranger Calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks