Your Highness

Discussion in 'Movies' started by bugeyes, Apr 2, 2011.

1. bugeyes

bugeyes Agent

Didnt see a thread for this..

Your Highness, gotta say I love this cast.

Danny McBride, James Franco, Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel.

It's gotta be funny. Comes out April 8th 2011.

Watch the Trailer here:

http://www.facebook.com/YourHighnessCanada

-----------------------

http://bit.ly/htcvaX

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I initially found "Your Highness" silly but fun. Then I let it marinate for a day, and found it more silly than fun. The script is a hodge-podge of the classical elements of the reluctant hero's journey set in medieval times, but the promise of hilarity missed its mark repeatedly, though there were some laughs mined from uncomfortable situations or profane gall, and they made use of the R rating through the trifecta of dropping F-bombs, boobs, and sexual situations. Is there a good movie within a couple of re-writes, I'm not sure.

Natalie Portman's role was written far too straight, but I enjoyed her scenes, while the scenes with James Franco and Danny McBride were hit-or-miss, and the scenes featuring Justin Theroux and Zooey Deschanel played relatively flat most of the times.

Ironically the biggest laugh for me was almost a throwaway scene given its role in the film, it involved fairy dust.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I thought it was OK but the movie is really just Kenny Powers (or someone with the same exact temper, jealousy and bad attitude) in medieval times. While Kenny Powers is a hilarious character on Eastbound & Down, simply transplanting him to another era can't help but come off as something that I've seen before.

4. Aedansmith

Aedansmith Auditioning

5. Aedansmith

Aedansmith Auditioning

6. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    I got several good laughs out of it, but I was hoping for something as epic and silly as Monty Python and the Holy Grail. There aren't a lot of medieval sword and sorcery comedies out there.

How did they dodge an NC-17 with that minotaur scene anyway?

A couple scenes almost seem to be paying homage to Ray Harryhausen films, or at least inspired by them.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ Probably because it was a minotaur rather than a human. I'm pretty jaded but I have to admit that even I was shocked by the craziness of that scene.