What's new

Your Guilty Pleasures in film (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, I don't have another quote, but who else thinks it's real funny the way Zarkov's assistant says "No!" when ordered into the rocket! :laugh:

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
"...don't you have any back bone?"
......NO!
Or was it...
"Munson, don't you want to help me save the world?"
.......NO!
or maybe it was..
"Don't you have a sense of adventure!?"
.......NO!
...man I need to get some sleep! :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Halt, Lizard man! [sound of Lizard man squealing as he is vaporized]
The sheer genius of every moment of the Winged Hawkmen attacking the ship...oh, it gets me every time.
How do I love Flash Gordon? Let me count the ways:
-the loony '70s Italian fashion magazine production design
-the relentlessly corny dialogue
-the way the cast alternate between playing things dead straight (Sam Jones, Melody Anderson, Timothy Dalton) or hammy in the extreme (Brian Blessed, Topol)
-it has Riff Raff from Rocky Horror in it
-I already mentioned Brian Blessed, but how far can that guy open his mouth??!! Sheesh, I bet he could fit an armchair in there.
-the music, man, the music. I mean, Queen could be goofy at times, but this is the goofiest rock score in the history of motion pictures, if you ask me.
You have to wonder how seriously Mike Hodges was taking this film. I suspect not at all. And Brian Blessed is definitely practicing the time-honored tradition of great British actors who appear in big-budget movies strictly for the paycheque.
Prince Barin! I'm not your enemy, Ming is! Let's all team up and fight him.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
"Second wave....DIE!!!"

"Yes, you don't look well. But then I'm told you refused your final meal. The chef will be upset..."

"Are your men on the right pills? Maybe you should execute their trainer."

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I forgot to mention The Toxic Avenger and Surf Nazis Must Die from good ole' Troma Studios. Actually, I have a soft spot for anything from Troma. Talk about your so-bad-it's-good. These make me laugh from start to finish.
Also, Return of the Killer Tomatoes. I love the whole "making fun of product placement" angle. When people know they're making a crappy movie, and play it up correctly, it's fun for me.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
The definition of a guilty pleasure is as subjective as these lists. I'm going with the list of movies that I saw in the theater, thoroughly enjoyed, then watched them tank at the box office. Many found new life on cable, video, etc. But at the time they were stuff that I thought only I liked!

1993 11.5M total US box office: So I Married an Axe Murderer
perhaps nobody saw it because of the title (starring someone named "Michael Myers" yet!) and because Austin Powers had not yet made this Mike Myers bankable.

1985 $18.1M total US box office: The Sure Thing
I still quote lines from this movie nearly 20 years later...hardly anyone gets them..."Sorry I'm late, but there was this big problem...and I'm late because of it."

Honorable Mention: Real Genius...also very quotable.

Office Space - also tanked at the box office...but if you work for a large corporation, especially in silicon valley...it is comedy gold.

Harrison Ford - I will see almost anything with him in it, and I can be very forgiving. Some Ford "failures" I have thoroughly enjoyed:

Regarding Henry - should have snagged a nomination for this one, probably not an Oscar, but at least a nomination.

Six Days Seven Nights - just a goofy throwback movie...years ago it could have been Humphrey Bogart and Grace Kelly in these roles.

Sabrina - speaking of Ford and Bogie...I liked the remake that everyone loves to hate...whatever happened to Julia Ormond?

And just to prove that I don't just love everything Ford is in...Random Hearts and Devil's Own were tests of my patience.

...any advance word on Hollywood Homicide? The trailer looks god-awful, but you can't judge a film by it's trailer...Star Trek V had a great looking trailer...

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
1. Clue- one of my favorite movies of all time

2. Better Off Dead- I must have seen this a hundred times.

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
If it makes it to DVD: The Day After.
I remember this, I think; a TV movie from the late 70's? I recall thinking it was very good.
I consider virtually all the aforementioned movies (that I have seen) to be extremely sub-par. The few exceptions to this would be Falling Down, Office Space, Joe vs. the Volcano, and Quick Change. But because I believe these to be worthy films, I can't consider them guilty pleasures.
I'm struggling with the concept of 'guilty pleasure'. If I enjoy a movie, then there must be some value in it (at least, to me) which provides genuine 'pleasure'. Taking it a step further, if I assign value to a film based on my enjoyment of it, that would eliminate the 'guilty' part of the equation (unless I question my own critical judgement).
Jon
-thinking too much

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty much all movies about monsters

The Relic,
Anaconda,
Deep Blue Sea,
Lake Placid,
All Jaws and Jurassic Park
Godzilla,
Predator,
The Abyss,
Reign of Fire
That is all I can think of for now.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Truth be told, I don't think I have any guilty pleasures. Quite frankly, I don't feel guilty at all about the movies I like.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
It looks like some folks have already thrown some TV movies into the mix here, so...

Does anyone remember a TV movie from the 80's with a Vampire/Halloween story and Shari Belafonte? (she was Halle Berry before there was a Halle Berry)

It was called "Midnight Hour" or something like that. I remember it being a guilty pleasure type of "scary movie" and throughly enjoyed the soundtrack of golden oldies like Sam Cooke's "In the Midnight Hour.."

Anyone else remember this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks