What's new

Your Guilty Pleasures in film (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Wait a cotton-pickin' minute...I'M A "MANNEQUIN" FAN! I love that movie! It's funny, it's charming, it's as sweet as cotton candy, and it has some good music, not to mention Andrew McCarthy and Kim Catrall in a fun musical number. Tell me you don't freeze-frame that shot of Catrall in a bikini, and I'll know you're a liar!

Sincerely,

John "Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now" Kilduff

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Starship Troopers - I'm not sure it was supposed to be as funny as I think it is, but I laugh my butt off every time I watch it.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Only one mention of the all-time classic Scavenger Hunt? How can you not love this film? Vincent Price, Tony Randall, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Cloris Leachman, Richard Benjamin, Willie Aames, Ruth Gordon, Scatman Crothers, Richard Mulligan, Dirk Benedict, Maureen Teefy, Meat Loaf, Richard Masur, and the pig-tailed roller skating blond girl from the first season of The Facts of Life... and that's just from memory.
"YOU KILLED FUZZY!"
While my head is in the '70's, allow me to mention Escape to Witch Mountain and Return from Witch Mountain featuring Kim Richards (you young punks today can have your Britney Spears and your Mandy Moore's - I'll take Kim and her twin sister :D).
Would Night of the Comet be a guilty pleasure? I certainly don't feel any guilt over liking it. The same goes with The Beastmaster and Tremors.
Well, there goes my movie-liking credibility. :D
Brad

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I'm all over films that are misunderstood. Two biggies for me are Crash and Starship Troopers. Both have absolutely loopy senses of humor, and are pitched so far over the top that they become (to me, at least) brilliantly funny.
One of the most bizarre experiences of my life was going to see Crash and being one of only two people in the theatre laughing. The other was my friend Taylor. When Elias Koteas said, "And the dog...the dog is beautiful!", we were on the floor. Everyone else was walking out.
I must admit, I also thought Striptease was pretty funny when it wasn't being sentimental. When Robert Patrick is doped out on wolf tranquilizers, he's a hoot.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I can't believe I forgot Wild Things and Flash Gordon. Both also qualify as so over the top that they're awesome. The courtroom scene in Wild Things sends me into hysterics, and Flash Gordon...the music, man, the music.
Flash!
Aaaa-aaaaa!
the inimitable Andy Sidaris and Do or Die!!!
Haven't seen Do or Die, but I spent months tracking down a VHS copy of Hard Ticket to Hawaii (also from Andy Sidaris) after it played at 2am on CityTV. That has got to be one of the best so-bad-it's-good films ever made.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Hard Ticket to Hawaii (also from Andy Sidaris) after it played at 2am on CityTV. That has got to be one of the best so-bad-it's-good films ever made.
You should track down a copy of Malibu Express. I think it gives HTTH a run for its money. :)
Bruce

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Steeve, you forgot to lead off with....

"DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN...."

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Quick Change - personally I think this is one of
Bill Murray's most underrated gems
The Quick and the Dead - glad to see this on someone else's list....its just a nice , over the top spaghetti western with a GREAT cast...also gotta like Leonardo getting shot ;p
Resident Evil - I think I enjoyed it so much because it played so close to the video game without really retreading material
Event Horizon - one really f#%&ed up movie, I would LOVE to see the rumored director's cut
The Last Starfighter - gotta love the aliens recruiting through the use of a video game
Clue - always liked playing the board game as a kid, the multiple endings really added to this one

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Anyone ever see Leviathan? Hmm that was one bad movie. For some reason I would always watch it when it came on.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Has anyone mentioned They Live yet? For that matter, almost anything by John Carpenter would qualify.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Pretty much any horror movie is my guilty pleasure. In fact I'm really jazzed for the upcoming Halloween and Eight Legged Freaks...don't ask me why, I can't explain it.

...but I do know at least Scott is with me on Eight Legged Freaks.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
What, you mean like on the giant spiders? No thanks man!
But yeah, 8LF is a massive 'guilty pleasure' waiting to happen.
BTW- I do agree with those who say that you shouldn't feel "guilty" for enjoying ANY film; if a movie suitably entertains you in some capacity, it really can't be that rotten, can it? On the other hand, try not to flee should you ever see me in a video store running towards you and screaming "Rent Anaconda! Rent Mimic!"

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
"Flash! Flash, I love you but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!"
:laugh:
(Sung to the Flash Gordon theme) :)
FLASH! AHHHHHHHH! Spesh-ell Ed-ishy-un!!

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Ming: Klytus, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?
Klytus: An obscure body in the S-K system, your Majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet, Earth
Ming: How peaceful it looks.
(He activates a console, and watches as earthquakes, floods, etc., start to occur. They both get a good laugh out of it.)
Klytus: Most effective, your Majesty. Will you destroy this, uh, Earth?
Ming: Later. I like to play with things a while. Before annihilation....HA HA HA HA HA!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks