What's new

your favourit sacd or dvd audio (1 Viewer)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
I have been into these formats for about a month now since I purchase a denon 2900. I love the sound, it so cool. My question is where the heck is the software? I purchased many sacd's, only to find out they are not all multi channel.......such a loss, with such high quality recording, multi sounds so good. My dvd audio disc I have are excellent, the few I have.
I read in a hometheater mag last month about all the sacd and dvd audio discs coming soon. I was so excited! Then I read the list, out of 20 or more discs, I only heard of two.......boy am I that for from the music trend? When the heck happened to matchbox 20, 5440, dwight yoakam, spin doctors or even those multi hit cd's, can they not be recorded in high resolution format? I mean I like pink floyd, I have it in many formats, but Iam not always stoned!
Another problem I have is the local stores. I go in and ask where there sacd's and dvd a disc are, after just a minute please, they come back and say " you have to go threw all the selections, we just mix them with the rest, don't worry, it will say on the disc if its a regular cd or a sacd." Ya, I did that, and purchase a few sacds, only to bring them home to find out they are not multi channel, only stereo. I mean give me a break, with this quality of sound i should have a choice on multi or stereo. My question here is, what is your favorite sacd or dvd a disc you love, I mean you play it over and over!;)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
in no particular order

Eagles Hotel California DVDA
Blue Man Group Audio DVDA
Floyd Dark Side of the Moon SACD
Roxy Music Avalon SACD

Bruce, check the back of the cd package before you buy it should say whether it is Stereo only or Multichannel (in quite small print)

f

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just picked up Avalon this weekend. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: very good stuff. Well done multi-channel mix and it sounds great. I also replaced my cracked CREST DSotM, with a supposedly good one (non-US).

Diana Krall When I Look in Your Eyes
Patricia Barber Cafe Blue

Yep, it says right on the package of all SACDs if they are stereo only or multi-channel. I've found a lot of places that are not primarilly a music store do not separate hi-rez from the rest. The funny thing was, I looked in the hi-rez section for DSotM and was unhappy to find that there were none, but I ended up finding one mixed in with the regular CDs.

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
check the back of the cd package before you buy it should say whether it is Stereo only or Multichannel
I did not know this, I thought all discs came multi channel.....now I know.
I ordered creedence clearwater revival off ebay. It came yesterday. Very well done multi channel tracks, not the best I heard, but the best I have heard creedence sound. Sounds really good on my system. This is a very old group, but to beable to be relived in sacd is a bonus;)

John Milton

Second Unit
DVD-A

Frank Sinatra: Sinatra At The Sands (5.1)

SACD

Muse: Hullabaloo (5.1)
Simple Minds: Cry (Stereo)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
DVD-A
Donald Fagen The Nightfly

SACD
Steely Dan Gaucho
DSOTM
The Police:Every Breath You Take The Classics

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i have linkin park and staind in dvd audio.
i should be getting metallica in the mail soon.

it takes awhile to get used to the multichannel, as for DPLII sounds louder, more bass, but multi channel sound clearer.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
SACD:
Nora Jones - Come Away With Me (5.1)
The Who - Tommy (Deluxe Edition) (5.1)

DVD-A:
Fourplay

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... just one favorite... tough...

"Blonde on Blonde" Bob Dylan (SACD) [runners up: Avalon, Sea Change, Blood on the Tracks]

"Halloween" Frank Zappa (DVD-A) [runner up: The Nightfly]

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Well, my favorite DVD-A doesn't seem to get alot of attention for some reason, but it would have to be Crowded House self titled. Click here for a review.
The sound quality is astounding and the surround "feel" of this disc is why I buy MC recordings, or at least how I believe they should sound. Other considerations would go to The Nightfly and The Buena Vista Social Club

Doug_WSmith

Auditioning
My new favorite DVD-A is the new Flaming Lips - Yoshimi package. A truly inspired hi-rez 5.1 mix, and a huge set of extra stuff (2.0 hi-rez versions of alternate tracks and remixes, and a great collection of videos) just completely blew me away. This is a great example of what this format can be.

Michael Were

Stunt Coordinator
As far as SACD goes I will have to say Beck Sea Change. I initially bought the cd the day it came out and was (unlike most professional reviewers) put off by it. It's not the I don't enjoy folk, I just prefer becks electronic induced folk. It felt a bit "adult contemporary." Upon many listens it grew on me from tolerable to decent to this is pretty good. I then bought a sacd player and had to try out this sacd based on forum reviews. I popped in this disc late at night (after my shift at the community radio station), turned off the lights and was transported into another place by my ears. The aggressive use of surrounds for the synthesized and electronic noise comes through the rears in a noninvasive, encompassing way. The album is now finally great in my opinion. Fidelity is the best I've heard on any SACD, including some recent direct to DSD jazz and classical recordings I have.

On the DVDA side I really like Zappa's Halloween set. But Frank is my favorite artist available on DVDA. There is a great thread around here about it so I really don't have to go into detail.

The real problem for us to recommend media is that we don't know your musical tastes. Give us genre, artists, labels etc. If we know your tastes it becomes quite easy to give you suggestions. I listen to a variety of music and primarily buy SACDs due to my taste.

Michael

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
ordered creedence clearwater revival off ebay. It came yesterday. Very well done multi channel tracks, not the best I heard, but the best I have heard creedence sound. Sounds really good on my system. This is a very old group, but to beable to be relived in sacd is a bonus
This is all very interesting, since THERE ARE NO MC CREEDENCE SACDS!!! They are all 2-ch ONLY (although Cosmo's & Willy have a MC sticker by mistake)! Did you get the Hong Kong Creedence Gold? If so, it's bogus, not real MC. I'll repeat--- THERE ARE NO MC CREEDENCE SACDS.

However, the stereo ones sound spectacular!

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I have created a new message below since the link did not work.

Thanks Feisalk for pointing this out.

Administrator,
You may delete this message if you like.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
DVD-A:

-Donald Fagen: Nightfly (Warner)
-Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky Suite (Naxos)
-Shostakovich: Jazz Suite 1 and 2 (Naxos)
-REM: Automatic for the People (Warner)
-Queen: A Night at the Opera (5.1 Entertainment)
-Beethoven's 6th/Respighi's Pines of Rome(AIX)

SACD:

-The Who: Tommy Special Edition
-Pink Floyd: DSOTM
-Charles Mingus: Ah Uhm (Sony)
-Mahler's 6th by Zander (Telarc)
-Film Scores of Bernard Hermann by Salonen (Sony)
-Thelonnius Monk: Straight No-Chaser (Sony)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks