What's new

Directors Your Favorite of the Rings (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Return of the King was an epic masterpiece, Two Towers was incredible, but I'll always have a soft spot for Fellowship of the Ring, the beginning of the quest, the fellowship formed, the Mines of Moria, "You cannot PASS!" Before the story turned into a huge epic war movie, so Fellowship for me. But all three parts richly deserve full marks. We may never see their like again, sadly.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
As I'm the one remaining entity in the universe who hasn't yet seen ROTK, I cannot respond to this poll.

Did they close down the Test area? ;)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I honestly like all of them equally, to me each films plays off the other. Fellowship had the sense of something new and got the most replay from me in the beginning.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

This is the epitome of what I consider great filmmaking. Tis a shame the only thing better will be the Extended Edition.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Easy choice for me ( well I haven't seen the EE of ROTK )

Fellowship of the Ring primarily because I prefer Ian McKellan's turn as Gandalf the Grey compared to his later work as Gandalf the White. Also for Sean Bean's work as Boromir. I prefer the character development and the work involved in 'setting the table' for the trilogy over a lot of the action elements of the latter films.

Steve - By 'Test area' SteveGon was referring to your 846 posts ( as of now ) in testy. :)

- Walter.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers EE

I wasn't really a fan of the series until I saw the extended part 2. Easily the most safisfying for me. The first was IMO a simple road movie. The last a series of battles. But for me, the middle is where the real meat is. Some amazing moments. The complexity of 3 interwoven stories is handled amazingly well, and the climactic battle is easily most thrilling of the series. Definitely my fav!

( Bizarrely Steve, I came to the Polls area this evening to start a thread asking this very question! Great minds think alike eh? ;) )

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Fellowship by far, for me its the nearest to a perfect interpretation of the book. The other two have serious and annoying flaws in that regard. It also has smaller, more humanized conflicts and battles. Row after row of fuzzy, computer-generated soldiers just don't do "it" for me.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'm with Brook. I love all three for different reasons, but FOTR has the strongest human (hobbit?) elements.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
1.)Return of the King:
This one has it all. Equal measures of Action, Emotion, Characterization and Story and did I mention action, The battle scenes to end all Battle scenes and the emotion and drama will only rise in the extended version. I choked back tears in 4 places in this movie and expect more in the extended.

2.) Fellowship of the Ring: Probably the best of three for story and characterization. Features the biggest variety in locations and races/monsters. I choked backed tears in 3 places in this movie.

3.) The Two Towers: The only cold film seems to be missing the heavy emotional spark of Part 1 and 3. The weakest dramatically and the biggest changes from the book. Seems to be more a struggle to get from Point A to Point B with too much material to cover. Still better than anything else out that year though. I did not choke back any tears in this movie.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not sure that I have a favorite, though I have a great deal of sympathy with Brook’s point. Overall, this is a trilogy where I think that the sum is greater than its parts. Especially as I’m not overly concerned with changes to the structure.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Even though it is one long movie, I prefer the Fellowship EE best. That might change after I see the Return EE though.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
How about this

1. The Two Towers: Because it didn't try to over-saturate me with emotion. I find it funny to measure the movie by the amount of tears held back. I'm with Paul on this one. Still my favorite of the three.

2. Return of the King- Okay, there were a few parts were there may have been a misting in my eye area.

3. Fellowship of the Ring: Nothing more than a camping trip (Earth 2: The fantasy years). Seen as part of the whole though, I like it much more.

Lew hit it, the sum is greater than its parts. I just don't think any one part was all that stellar. Now when ROTK-EE comes out, and the marathons start, let's judge then.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
FOTR for me. I think it had the most variety of the three movies. You've got equal parts character development, eye-popping effects, heartfelt emotion (Boromir and Gandalf's deaths, Sam and Frodo at the end) and some kick-ass battles. Granted, nothing on the scale of the latter two films, both of which were also spectacular (ROTK moreso than TTT, IMO), but those two also lacked the balance of the last two. Also, the opening fifteen or so minutes of the theatrical version of FOTR is probably my favorite passage from the trilogy as a whole. Plus, it's got the most Bilbo!!!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member

I haven't seen ROTK yet. So don't worry, you are not alone. Heck, I'm even worse, because I haven't seen TTT yet. :D

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about seeing the rest of LOTR? Probably. ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My favorite is the one with Naomi Watts, followed by the Japanese version.

:p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks