What's new

your favorite car-care products (1 Viewer)

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Wow, I can't believe how may people are using Zaino. I was looking at their stuff last year when I got my 'inventory' together and ended up purchasing the following for my wash, clay, glaze, polish and wax duties. I use a low speed random orbital to put on the products and 100% cotton flannel cloths from detailers choice to take off.

P21s Car Body Conditioning Shampoo
Mothers Clay Bar
3M Dark Colored Car Swirl Mark Remover
3M Imperial Machine Glaze
P21s Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleaner (Really makes the shine pop)
One Grand Blitz Wax

I use Simple Green for general cleaning (shoe marks on the interior vinyl, Plastic engine covers and such) and lexol for most of my interior cleaning. Eagle 20/20 vision for the windows and One Grand Exterior Rubber stuff for the care and feeding the exterior rubber (tires and door jams only on my car). I also have a Bissel little green for doing the carpets.

Got 99% of my stuff from www.carcareonline.com.

Going to be doing my summer detailing soon, can't wait. The A4 is looking rough from the winter.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
You can do the Zaino in one day, no problem. Just buy the ZFX instead of the Z1 and you only need to let the polish dry for about 30 minutes before removing it. Makes it much easier.
Thanks, Tim!

From the comments here, guess I'll look further into Zaino.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I read that Zaino product description page and FAQs.

I'm a little confused. (The XFX is not incorporated into the FAQ page yet.)

Would this be the order:

Wash car with Dawn
Use Clay Bar
Wash car again with Dawn
Apply XFX to entire car (does this haze right away?)
Apply Z2 for clear coats
Wait 30 minutes or longer until dry
Remove

Is one coat of Z2 good enough?

If I wanted to incorporate Z5 Polish for Swirl Marks into the routine, when would that be -- before the Z2?

Thank you in advance for any info! Frankly, it sounds like a very long process. (At the moment, my wash and wax routine with Zymol takes about 4 hours.) This could take from dawn to dusk. ;)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
i knew this thread would be 'zaino' dominanted....I'm trying it this month on my 10 yr old car that has had nothing more than a couple turtle waxes a year. It's full of swirl marks, small scratches, dull areas.

Hopefully I'll get a B&A pic up sometime.

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Elizabeth,

You mix the ZFX with Z2 - so it's just one coat. My 2x/year routine:

Wash with Dawn
Claybar (by far the longest single step)
Wash with Z7
Apply ZFX/Z5 mixture for swirl marks
Remove
Apply Z6 gloss enhancer
Repeat above 3 steps as needed
Apply ZFX/Z2 mixture
Remove
Apply Z6 gloss enhancer
Repeat above 3 steps as needed

I do 2 coats of ZFX/Z2. If you use Z5, you would use it before Z2. Takes me about 5-6 hours.

For washing, I use Z7 then apply Z6.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
The most common “myth” about ZAINO is that it is difficult to use.

While I admit that the FIRST application is a bit more difficult then the rest, that’s the ONLY time you need to do all those steps.
Skip the Z-1.
ZFX replaces it and is worth the additional 10-bucks.
After the first application it’s actually EASIER to apply then most other waxes.
I can wash/polish the car in about an hour.
Using the ZFX accelerator I can do the maximum of three coats in about 2-hours.

ZAINO is known for its lasting power, but for that show car finish like you see on my blue car (see first page :D ) you need multiple coats.
I usually add a coat of Z-2 about once a month.

Shawn S

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
My routine is exactly the same as Lary's above. I put on one coat of Z5 (my car is silver so the swirls don't really show) and then multiple coats of Z2 and then Z6. As you add more coats of Z2/Z5 over time, you'll get a deeper shine with more protection but you definitely do not need to put on a ton of coats. If I have the time I'm going to give my black BMW the full Zaino treatment for the first time this weekend. I'm anxious to see the results.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
WARNING ABOUT ZAINO!!!!!

This stuff is incredibly addicting. Especially if you have a dark colored vehicle. By far the deepest, most beautiful shine you will ever see.
You know all those car shows people go to?
Well, just about everyone I've ever talked to uses Zaino on their "show cars".

The real secret to this stuff is that you can put multiple coats on, and the shine just gets deeper and deeper. (With no build-up problem like traditional waxes..)

I belong to another (vehicle-specific) form where it is common for owners to have 20-30 coats of this stuff on......and the pictures are incredible.....it looks like a mirror on black vehicles!

The best results are obtained (as I have been told) once you get about 5 coats on.....then the addiction starts!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thank you for the info!

Is the Z6 Gloss Enhancer really necessary? I'm more concerned with protection than having the best, glossiest shine possible.

Are the ZFX and Z2 liquids or creams? To mix it, would you just get a third container, pour in both and shake?

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Are the ZFX and Z2 liquids or creams? To mix it, would you just get a third container, pour in both and shake?
Z-2 or Z-5 are like a CREAM and ZFX is a thin liquid in a TINY bottle with a drip applicator top.
The ZFX kit comes with 2oz. mixing bottles.
Fill one halfway with Z-2 OR Z-5 and then add 3-4 drops of ZFX.
Mix and apply.

Shawn S

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
SHAWN:

Hey!! That's an Acura!!

(Yes, like that.....!!!)
(I am a member over at the AcuraMDX.org site....)!

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Z6 Gloss Enhancer really necessary?
No, not necessary. I find that it really helps repel dust, though. You might consider just using it as the last step instead of between every coat if you're not worried about the glossiest possible finish.

Todd Calhoun

Agent
So how about mechanical buffers? I've been doing the 3 step process for a couple of years (twice a year), and now I've got 2 cars and just don't have the time to to it by hand.

Are there any economical buffers that do a good job?

Dillon Poole

Agent
Go to http://www.autopia.org If you have the money, get a Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer. Just ask the question over there and you'll see what I'm talking about. Don't get a cheap Waxmaster or cheap Home Depot Ryobi one. Get a Porter Cable.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
When I detailed at the dealership, we had some wax that was really easy to put on/take off and didn't where the trim if you accidently got some on it. The name escapes me now, but I found a similar product a while back. It is some Armor All wax. It is some thing that is supposed to give a diamond hard finish and it does. It also doesn't white the trim, unless you leave it one and it dries in the little pores. I recomend the Armor All as I have always had real good luck with it.

We also used dishwashing liquid when we got new vehicles in. We usually used Dove or Ivory b/c they are less harsh. After the first wax though, we used soap with wax already in it.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Here's another Zaino fanatic!!! Great stuff.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned. Zaino's can be found sometimes locally. They don't place their stock in any B 'n M stores but they do use a sort of grassroots distributorship system. Just email Zainos at there web site with your location and they will email you back the closest sales rep in you area. I was able to get my supplies this way and the prices were identical to the on-line prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks