What's new

Your Father's Outer Limits - Favorite Episodes (1 Viewer)

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Since the Twilight Zone thread seems to have inspired some fond memories, I'd be interested to see if anyone has some thoughts on this show. I liked them both, but actually consider The Outer Limits the superior show (probably in the minority here). In airdate order: The Sixth Finger The Man Who Was Never Born O.B.I.T. Corpus Earthling Nightmare The Bellero Shield Expanding Human Demon With A Glass Hand Cry Of Silence The Duplicate Man

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i recall liking the outer limits, but dont really remember much about it. however, i dont think it was a rival to the twilight zone, was it ? my vague memories of ol was that it was strictly just a science fiction show. i dont recall many of the shows as having real life meanings ?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Berkshires, This is one of my top three all-time favorite series. I own the entire series on VHS tape and twice on DVD (flipper and non-flipper). A few of us have discussed our favorite episodes (and the music and sound effects of many of them) in some of the other The Outer Limits threads. I just thought I'd mention this in case you haven't already read through any of them.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ockeghem said:
Berkshires, This is one of my top three all-time favorite series. I own the entire series on VHS tape and twice on DVD (flipper and non-flipper). A few of us have discussed our favorite episodes (and the music and sound effects of many of them) in some of the other The Outer Limits threads. I just thought I'd mention this in case you haven't already read through any of them.
Was there a nonflipper version of this? What about the Addams Family? Thanks

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
JoeDoakes said:
Was there a nonflipper version of this? What about the Addams Family? Thanks
Ray, I can answer 'yes' as far as The Outer Limits is concerned. I have no idea about The Addams Family. I was actually informed of the single-sided DVDs for The Outer Limits by another HTF poster a year or two ago, and I snatched them up rather quickly. These are Region 2 DVDs. Here are links for the two seasons: Season One: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Outer-Limits-Season-DVD/dp/B000803PYU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360022649&sr=8-2 Season Two: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Outer-Limits-Season-DVD/dp/B000803Q0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360022649&sr=8-3

I just watched the entire series last summer, and don't remember much of it! I'm getting older, but sheesh! I do remember liking The Bellero Shield and the one about the UFO at the amusement park. To be completely honest, I am a HUGE Twilight Zone fan and found The Outer Limits to be just ok. Now I need to go back and read the episode descriptions to spark my fading memory!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
eric scott richard said:
... and the one about the UFO at the amusement park.
Eric, This would be Second Chance, I believe.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
eric scott richard said:
That's it! Thanks!
Eric, You're welcome. You've actually inspired me to watch Second Chance later tonight. It should be fun. :)

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
Berkshires,
This is one of my top three all-time favorite series. I own the entire series on VHS tape and twice on DVD (flipper and non-flipper). A few of us have discussed our favorite episodes (and the music and sound effects of many of them) in some of the other The Outer Limits threads. I just thought I'd mention this in case you haven't already read through any of them.
Scott, I did read the other Outer Limits thread you mention. Lots of good discussion there.
This thread was simply intended for the list-makers among us who enjoy comparing notes on favorite episodes. I've edited my original post down to a Top Ten list. Would be interested in reading yours. In the case of The Outer Limits, I found it more difficult to narrow it down to ten than I did with the Twilight Zone.
Originally Posted by TravisR
I think it's a winking homage to a Twilight Zone thread that has a similarly odd title.
;-)
Exactly. When I saw a thread called Your Father's Twilight Zone, I thought it was as good a way as any to differentiate the original series from the later reboots. Works for The Outer Limits just as well.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Easy enuff....:) 1. The Sixth Finger 2. The Architects of Fear 3. OBIT 4. The Bellero Shield 5. Nightmare 6. The Zanti Misfits 7. The Hundred Days of the Dragon 8. Don't Open Til Doomsday 9. Demon With A Glass Hand 10. The Forms of Things Unknown

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Berkshires said:
Scott, I did read the other Outer Limits thread you mention. Lots of good discussion there. This thread was simply intended for the list-makers among us who enjoy comparing notes on favorite episodes. I've edited my original post down to a Top Ten list. Would be interested in reading yours. In the case of The Outer Limits, I found it more difficult to narrow it down to ten than I did with the Twilight Zone. ;-) Exactly. When I saw a thread called Your Father's Twilight Zone, I thought it was as good a way as any to differentiate the original series from the later reboots. Works for The Outer Limits just as well.
My father's Outer Limits or Twilight Zone was called radio. :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For anyone interested, some reviewers, fans, noted sci-fi writers and bloggers sang the praises of the show and had a blast going through each episode at the site We Are Controlling Transmission: http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/ Keep the flame alive on this groundbreaking gothic sci-fi show because we need it in Blu-ray. My top 10 episodes: 1) Architects of Fear 2) The Zanti Misfits 3) The Man Who Was Never Born 4) Demon with the Glass Hand 5) A Feasibility Study 6) The Guests 7) The Bellero Shield 8) Fun and Games 9) Don't Open Until Doomsday 10) The Forms of Things Unknown

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The 2-part show "The Inheritors" was by far-and-away the best of the series. Actually, it's probably in the top 10 of all-time great television drama. I just happened to watch this last weekend. You could not find a better way to spend 2 hours.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Berkshires, I'm glad you had a chance to read the other threads. There are some avid fans of the series here, which is great. A top-ten list of TOL would be difficult for me. It's kind of like listing which Beatles tunes I like the best. But I can name several episodes that are IMO amazing to me for a variety of reasons. Maybe down the road a bit I can discuss what I like about each episode listed here. These are in no particular order. Please Stand By ;) The Architects Of Fear Demon With A Glass Hand Nightmare A Feasibility Study The Sixth Finger (I have loved Glenn Gould's Bach for years) O.B.I.T. The Bellero Shield Don't Open Until Doomsday I also like episodes that are frequently maligned on various Boards, such as Keeper Of the Purple Twilight (as much for the second-season Lubin music which permeates the episode as for the story itself), The Special One, The Premonition, Behold, Eck!, Moonstone, Wolf 359, and It Crawled Out Of the Woodwork. By the way, I could just as easily say that I like all forty-nine episodes of the series for various reasons. I can watch any of them at any time and glean something positive and informative out of them.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Ah, my second favorite TV series of all time (after The Twilight Zone, of course). Demon with a Glass Hand Corpus Earthling The Architects of Fear The Man Who Was Never Born Nightmare The Invisibles O.B.I.T. The Inheritors The Duplicate Man Wolf 359 Who do I have to sleep with to get this series released on blu-ray?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
jim_falconer said:
The 2-part show "The Inheritors" was by far-and-away the best of the series.  Actually, it's probably in the top 10 of all-time great television drama.  I just happened to watch this last weekend.  You could not find a better way to spend 2 hours.
I'm not a big fan of the second season, after Ben Brady took over from Joseph Stefano, but I really have to agree. The Inheritors was fantastic.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
Why was this your father's? As opposed to what, your mother's Outer Limits? :confused:
It's a reference to the Oldsmobile commercials from the 90s "This is not your father's Oldsmobile" (and now there aren't any Oldsmobiles any longer). OL always came off to me as far more instinctively pretentious than did TZ, which for the most part avoided that because as a half hour show, TZ had to concentrate more on storytelling whereas at an hour, an OL episode could so often seem either padded or designed to be more sledgehammer like in terms of its "message". As a result, the show did not grab me much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks