What's new

Your dream movie. What would you wish for? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe done with the skill and passion that Jackson brought to The Fellowship of the Ring. (Walden Media let me down on this one.)

For that matter, the whole of The Chronicles of Narnia done properly.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
A couple more come to mind for me:

Doc Savage, directed by Sam Raimi. It looks like Raimi's more of a Shadow fan but I think he have a great touch for a Doc movie.

An adaptation of Seabury Quinn's Roads. Roads might be best described as "Santa Claus Begins" - a story about how a Norse gladiator in ancient Rome gradually transforms into an immortal saint that has elves working for him and gives presents to little kids. It sounds crazy in description but when you read it, it's like Ben Hur with a Christmas theme. Peter Jackson can direct this one :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Since we're talking "dream movies" -- putting aside difficulties of making it since it would require a boy to be the same age in all 7 films: The Dark Tower by Stephen King. 7 books, 7 movies. :)

Another "dream movie" -- a new set of Star Wars prequels with different (and talented) screenwriters and directors :P Maybe Kasdan or Darabont penning, with Spielberg directing ;)

Hey the thread title is "dream movie" right? ;)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I'm a fan of Grace Kelly, so my thought is that she didn't get out of the movie business but instead did more films.

For examples, I'd like to have seen her:

Opposite Cary Grant in North by Northwest
Opposite Cary Grant in Charade
Opposite Sean Connery in Marnie
Opposite Sean Connery in The Birds
Opposite Sean Connery as Spectre agent Fiona Volpe in Dr. No

As Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
A more accurate adaptation of The Wizard of Oz with the same tonalities as Return to Oz. Hey, I can dream, right?
Also a sequel to RONIN, True Lies, Buckaroo Banzai, Proof of Life, Master & Commander and many others.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I can't believe so many people are suggesting sequels...as if we don't get enough pointless sequels already. :frowning: I agree that a respectable follow-up to Before Sunrise and Before Sunset would be cool, but I don't think it HAS to be done as the series doesn't feel incomplete to me without it. I don't think that's really a dream project and the Before Sunset sequel will probably happen, it's just a question of when. It would have been nice to get a good adaptation of "The Catcher In The Rye", but of course J.D. Salinger hated the first Hollywood adaptation of his work so much (although I heard it was actually pretty good) that's he's gone to great lengths to make sure it never happens, even after he's dead.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Somebody beat me to it, but I will die happy when I see a new live-action film version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz that adheres more closely to L. Frank Baum's original book.

Dorothy should be a pre-teen. Her shoes should be "silver shoes". The Cowardly Lion should look basically like a real lion (though he can look more exaggerated in the face to make him more expressive) and he should be fully CG. The Tin Woodman should be fully CG. The Scarecrow could possibly be an actor in a costume, but it might be a good idea to use computer graphics to enhance his face. Or he could be fully CG if it were determined to be simpler (or more cost-effective).

It should NOT be "dark" like Return to Oz. After all, the book was not dark. However, it should not be campy like the MGM movie, and it shouldn't be a musical. The tone of the original book was slightly grittier and more realistic, and Oz should not feel like it exists only inside a Hollywood studio. The visual style of recent movies like Narnia for instance could be used to show Oz as a believable place. There should be a vibrancy and poignancy to everything, and Dorothy's adventures should not turn out to be merely a dream, as they were in the MGM version.

The art department should follow the colorful artwork created by W. W. Denslow that illustrated the first edition of the book, and if they want to set themselves up for sequels, they can even dip into the influence of John R. Neill, the illustrator of all the later Oz Books. For instance, if they were to follow ONLY Denslow's illustrations, they would probably give Dorothy brown hair. But if they find it likely that they will make sequels based on the later books, they might find it wiser to make her hair blonde (as she was portrayed by Neill in ALL of the later Oz books).

Speaking of sequels, if the movie were to be successful, there were thirteen more Oz books written by Baum for them to draw from, not to mention all the other Oz books written by other authors after his death. It could become a full-fledged film franchise.

I know the studios are afraid to touch Oz because its track record in cinema ever since the MGM film (basically, no Oz film or TV project has been very successful since the MGM version because the general public unwaveringly holds it up to the standard of the MGM version and as a result rejects it). But to be fair, making a new and realistic big-budget version of this story on screen has never been attempted SINCE 1939. And I think it would be smart to actually market it as a remake of the book, not a remake of the MGM movie. After all, isn't that the new thing these days? Making movie versions of fantasy novels? The Lord of the Rings? Harry Potter? The Chronicles of Narnia? I think this is right up the same alley.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Ocean has a point.

We're given a basic premise, come up with your dream movie with no boundaries. You wish it and it is so.

And what do we come up with? A lot of 'I'd like to see a sequel of this or that.'

And we're the same people that often detest sequels. Not so subtle irony that.

If our creative ideas aren't that good, why should we expect Hollywood to take risks with REAL money?

Seems that what many people want are REALLY GOOD sequels that meet or exceed the original.

Take the Wizard of Oz sequels proposed ... who in Hollywood would put BIG money into that when we've already drawn our knifes over the project even before it reaches the screen?

Perhaps (to a point) we are getting what we deserve.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sequels can be brilliant in the right hands. My wish for example is for a sequel to Close Encounters Of The Third Kind written, and directed by Steven Spielberg. If it were to happen, it would probably be the most original thing Spielberg has done since writing, and directing the first Close Encounters film. Not only would it be a fresh concept(filmmakers tend to leave their masterpieces alone) it would also give us, the moviegoers a chance to believe in the whole movie theater experience again. 99% of movies I can wait for on dvd, but if this were to happen, I would take the day off work, buy 2 tickets for the first day of it's release, and watch it twice.

Oh, and one more thing about sequels: The Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope IMO, and many people who like Star Wars feel the same way. This is the kind of great sequel we would love to see.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I don't know if I have a 'dream' project but there are several items I'd like to see brought to film. One coming to mind, a novel which has already been attempted ten (?) times. Still to my tastes not yet definitively.

The Sea Wolf by Jack London.

I'd cast it:

Paul Bettany as Humphrey Van Weyden

Ian McShane as Wolf Larsen

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Innerstellar and Talisman from Spielberg are a couple of mine. And they are coming out in a few years.

Contact also had quite a few things I always wanted to see.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd still love to see an adaptation of Haruki Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, done by David Fincher or Kiyoshi Kurosawa (two directors who could get it right).

A Solomon Kane movie was being talked about - I'd like to see that.

Something with Scarlett Johansson and Anna Paquin getting naked and...never mind.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

There's one going into production shortly. Directed by a guy named Michael Basset, IIRC (he did a supernatural WWI movie called Deathwatch). My hopes aren't high - he showed up on Conan.com right after he got the job and said some things that didn't please the fanbase :) - but maybe I'll be surprised.

I think the ideal Solomon Kane film would have been made by Hammer back in the day, directed by Terrence Fisher and starring Christopher Lee in his prime :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Foreign films are key. 2 of the best dramas on this planet are the Japanese films Maborosi, and After Life from Kore-eda Hirokazu. It would be interesting to see a big American studio tackle one of these films, with a stellar cast. I haven't seen a great American dramatic film since Ordinary People, and that was released in 1980.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks