What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Umm... 2 speedlites in a brolly (120cm). Oh, and technique-wise also a variable ND filter so I could shot so wide open. :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well done and thanks for sharing. I was wondering how fast a shutter speed your speedlights synced at to shoot wide open, but the ND would help that in some ways. I've never used a variable ND. I'm guessing it is basically dual polarizers.

I'd love to do some location lighting. I have several monolights, so a small generator to buy or rent would be a lot cheaper than speedlights. Then I just need an alluring subject.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As far as GAS goes, I've been wanting the current Sigma 50-150 2.8, if anyone is in a charitable state of mind. After seeing these shots, a 30mm 1.4 might be fun.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I definitely prefer the color versions. They keep the fantasy effect so much more.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd like to see the B&W with a bit gentler hand in conversion. The whites are blowing out, which bothers me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, for whoever's keeping a tally...count me in as favoring the color shots.

I found them stunning and thought the vivid contrast of the porcelain model all dressed in white against the lush green backdrop was somehow lost in the B&W.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably more of a high-contrast kind of guy, hate the mushy low-contrast processing choices.

Not shot with my 50mm ART, but with the venerable Canon 17-40L:

SP_20862-3 by Patcave, on Flickr

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I prefer the color versions as well... although I did find some of the blown highlights in certain backgrounds problematic for the additional handful others I quickly look thru on that site -- a few of those may be where I might prefer B&W perhaps, if you can possibly dial down those blown whites, which is probably more doable in B&W than color.

I agree w/ John about the (soft, lush) colors retaining the fantasy more. Maybe if you apply a different tone/tint (or maybe duotone?) to the B&W versions on top of reducing contrast some perhaps?

Just a thought...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I suspect you're rebelling against this annoying trend where photos have no whites or blacks. I don't understand that either.

Those last two shots work a lot better for me in B&W. Especially the most recent one.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oh, didn't mean to suggest having some (blown) whites or blacks is always bad. I was only speaking specifically to certain other (color) images on that site in how the blown whites (and possibly also busy, bright greens) in the background seemed a bit overwhelming for me.

And yes, I also prefer the B&W for this last one...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I like the color versions, too, for the reasons already stated. It looks like that new Sigma lens is a winner for you, Patrick.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, we just got back from two weeks in Alaska. Once I am able to sort through my photos, I will post a few shots taken with my new 16-35mm f/4L IS. I did not end up using it as much as I wanted, though, as it just wasn't long enough for the landscapes around Denali, Wrangell - St. Elias, or the Inner Passage. I found that at times even my 24-105L wasn't long enough for some of what I was trying to shoot of the Alaskan Range, and had to use my 100-400L at times. I used the 16-35L mostly on board the cruise ship, when we toured an old copper mill in Kennicott, and while walking around Ketchikan and Anchorage.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I like that my GAS is at least paying off with decent photos. :D

Let's see the fruits of your GAS!!!!

I shoot so much cosplay, so I tend to go through a ton of color photos, and apply various degrees of vibrancy and saturation to them, so it's nice to ease off the color pedal and just play with black/grey/white tones for a chance of pace. I'll probably be done with my B/W phase in a month of so. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks