What's new

Young Samson and Goliath release (1 Viewer)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I am very glad to see Warner releasing this title. It seems that all the recent MOD animation releases were from the 1970's which is great but let's not leave all the 1960's titles unreleased. Wish List:

1960's

1) The Herculoids

2) Frankenstein JR. and the Impossibles

3) Mighty Mightor and Moby Dick

4) Any of the unreleased Filmation superhero cartoons (Superman, Superboy, Batman and Robin)

5) I understand Warner has Marine Boy. This is a personal favorite. Excellent cartoon which deserves a serious release.

6) Warner also owns Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero---a very cool 1960's sci-fi cartoon.

7) Secret Squirrel and Atom Ant

8) The Banana Splits (And or specific releases of The Arabian Knights, Gulliver, and the Three Musketeers) Another favorite of mine : The New Adventures of Huck Finn--would love this release.

9) Any animation from this decade is worth purchasing

1970's:

1) The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan

2) Butch Cassidy and the Subdance Kids

3) The Brady Kids

4) Jeannie and Babu

5) Devlin

6) I would say Valley of the Dinosaurs but I see it's coming out. Very good.

7) Emergency + 4

8) Partridge Family 2200 AD

9) A comprehensive package including all the New Scooby-Doo Movies from the early 1970's-- the whole series

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
About time they got around to a sixties show! I'll be getting this!

Now, how 'bout Peter Potamus, Secret Squirrel, Wally Gator, Herculoids, Franky Jr. -- much less completing Huckleberry Hound and doing Quick Draw McGraw.

Yes, I know about the music clearance issues on those last two - but there are a number of those shows WITH H-B owned and produced music that CAN be released.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Great news that Valley and Goliath are coming. Just noticed that Swat Kats are no longer on the Warner Archive... interesting. Could this just be a glitch??

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

About time they got around to a sixties show! I'll be getting this!

Now, how 'bout Peter Potamus, Secret Squirrel, Wally Gator, Herculoids, Franky Jr. -- much less completing Huckleberry Hound and doing Quick Draw McGraw.

Yes, I know about the music clearance issues on those last two - but there are a number of those shows WITH H-B owned and produced music that CAN be released.
What do you think, Joe, if they finished releasing the Huckleberry Hound cartoons on their own on a 2 disc release and then the same with Pixie & Dixie and then Hokey Wolf. Instead of putting the episodes out, instead put the cartoons out. I know Pixie & Dixie and Hokey Wolf are not as popular as Huckleberry Hound, but this might be a good, affordable way to release these cartoons.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

What do you think, Joe, if they finished releasing the Huckleberry Hound cartoons on their own on a 2 disc release and then the same with Pixie & Dixie and then Hokey Wolf. Instead of putting the episodes out, instead put the cartoons out. I know Pixie & Dixie and Hokey Wolf are not as popular as Huckleberry Hound, but this might be a good, affordable way to release these cartoons.

Greg, I would buy these ANY WAY they were distributed. As the "second biggest Huck Hound fan" on this forum (after yourself) I'm WAY tired of waiting on these!

And, poor Hokey Wolf has never been represented on DVD -- even once. Even Lippy the Lion and Yippie, Yappie, and Yahooie have gotten there first!

I'd LOVE to have a nice copy of Hokey's "Chock-Full Chuck Wagon"... or, as I call it, "Hokey Wolf's Battle of Wits with an Unofficial Version of Yosemite Sam"!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to this and I suspect we will be seeing more of a mix from the archives of 60's and 70's HB from the archives going forward. Now bring on Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles and The Hercleoids.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I agree.Let me add to my list above. Shazzan for the 1960's and the Hair Bear Bunch for the 1970's.

Everyone has their own favorites. I have an enormous collection of these shows from this era. I believe the 1960's was the best decade for animation. Don't get me wrong. There were some excellent cartoons in the 1970's but not nearly as many or as good as the 60's. I think the quality of animation really fell off during this decade. The 1980's saw a return of high quality cartoons ( GI Joe, Transformers, Jem and the Holograms, The Real Ghostbusters). These cartoons not only had great animation but more sophisticated stories.

I am greatful for all that has been released and hope they keep coming.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I grew up in the 1970s and there was switch in the cartoons with the addition of my live action shows including far out space nuts, ghost busters, monster squad, etc. The cartoons themselves were too similiar to scooby-doo with the exception of cartoons that were based on tv shows, like jeannie, partridge family 2200 AD, brady kids, star trek, planet of the apes, Emergency +4, etc.

The 1960s produced some excellent cartoons, like Jonny Quest, Herculoids, Flintstones, etc. The 1960s were very turbulent as well due to cuban missile crisis along with the vietnam war. Animation was introduced big time to saturday morning and that process continue into the 1970s.

I think people will have their own likes and dislikes based on what they grew up with as a kid and that is what makes these forum so informative.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by younger1968

I grew up in the 1970s and there was switch in the cartoons with the addition of my live action shows including far out space nuts, ghost busters, monster squad, etc.

That "Switch" was due to some "Do Gooder" Groups such as Action for Children's Television, among others. They complained that many Cartoons were either "Too Violent", "Overlong Commercials" or "Lacked any educational value". Many Popular Shows were forced off the air as a result of them including a lot that I watched., and this is why Children's Shows these days have that "EI" Logo on them. Fortunately many of the Shows they got yanked off the air are now available on DVD.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Regulus

That "Switch" was due to some "Do Gooder" Groups such as Action for Children's Television, among others. They complained that many Cartoons were either "Too Violent", "Overlong Commercials" or "Lacked any educational value". Many Popular Shows were forced off the air as a result of them including a lot that I watched., and this is why Children's Shows these days have that "EI" Logo on them. Fortunately many of the Shows they got yanked off the air are now available on DVD.
One of my favorites growing up was "Linus the Lion-Hearted". I doubt his show will ever come to DVD. Because he was tied in with Post Cereals, he was yanked because the show was basically a half-hour commercial, but it was a fun show.

I would love to see everything ever made by Hanna-Barbera come out on DVD; it would be a dream come true.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I am greatful to have grown up during that time period. I, as did all kids, love Saturday morning cartoons. I remember one of the last ones on before noon was the Archies followed by a Monkees rerun. Has anyone turned on TV on a Saturday morning in recent years? Sad. Well not at my house. No, not while I'm at the wheel. You can watch the line up from almost any year from say mid 60's to mid 70's. Cartoon airing is mandatory but viewing is optional. I refuse to get my weekend off without a few retro cartoons under my belt.

I also collect a large amount of Silver age comics. I love the advertisments in these old comics for the Saturday line up.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by dhammer

I am greatful to have grown up during that time period. I, as did all kids, love Saturday morning cartoons. I remember one of the last ones on before noon was the Archies followed by a Monkees rerun. Has anyone turned on TV on a Saturday morning in recent years? Sad. Well not at my house. No, not while I'm at the wheel. You can watch the line up from almost any year from say mid 60's to mid 70's. Cartoon airing is mandatory but viewing is optional. I refuse to get my weekend off without a few retro cartoons under my belt.

I also collect a large amount of Silver age comics. I love the advertisments in these old comics for the Saturday line up.

Hi David,

I grew up in the 1970s with saturday morning cartoons and remember watching the fall preview shows and getting excited about what was new on saturday mornings. There was a rule in our house we could watch cartoons in the morning, but we needed to be outside after they were over. I also had two brothers so getting to watch my show was difficult at times. My favourites shows today are the following

1. Herculoids

2. New Adventures of Gilligan

3. Jonny Quest

4. Samson and Goliath

5. Jabberjaw

6. Scooby-doo

7. Speed Buggy

8. Star Trek the animated series

9. return to the planet of the apes

10. Jeannie

11. Josie and the pussycats

12. Banana splits

13. Land of the lost

14. Valley of the dinosaurs

I have about 32 cartoons completed. I purchased the Ant and Aardvark along with the Inspector, because those shows are still funny to this day. I also like wait till your father gets home, which was like Archie Bunker show animated. It is sad that animation and the voice over work is not the same as it was 32-50 years ago.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I remember those Friday night preview shows as well. I really wish they would include those as a bonus on some of these collections. I would love to see some of those again.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Space Kidettes and Young Samson is being released today by the Archives. Thats about two weeks sooner than I expected. Keep the H-B coming. I expect to see Valley of the Dinosaurs in two -three weeks.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
This has been a fantastic year so far for H-B material being released. I can't wait to see what's next after "Valley of the Dinosaurs."

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

One of my favorites growing up was "Linus the Lion-Hearted". I doubt his show will ever come to DVD. Because he was tied in with Post Cereals, he was yanked because the show was basically a half-hour commercial, but it was a fun show.

I would love to see everything ever made by Hanna-Barbera come out on DVD; it would be a dream come true.

Linus the Lionhearted was tied in with Post cereals, but many of the cartoon shows had those kind of tie-ins. Kelloggs was always having some HB character on the front of their cereal boxes. It is too bad Linus kind of got shoved aside because of this. I would enjoy a DVD release of this, too.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I just got my set and I am very happy with it. They improved their menus in that you can choose if you want to watch the show as it was aired. The Space Kiddettes first than Young Samson. Or you can watch all of one cartoon back to back. I don't believe their first releases had that feature i.e. Space Ghost and Dino Boy.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by dhammer

They improved their menus in that you can choose if you want to watch the show as it was aired. The Space Kiddettes first than Young Samson. Or you can watch all of one cartoon back to back. I don't believe their first releases had that feature i.e. Space Ghost and Dino Boy.

That's good news! I might order this one, it would be my first purchase from the archive, hope more good stuff is coming next.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by derosa
That's good news! I might order this one, it would be my first purchase from the archive, hope more good stuff is coming next.

This WILL be MY first purchase from the Archive! And, if they release more sixties series, I'll buy more!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks