What's new

Young Frankenstein 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Just saw a review at another site (well, not a review rather a confirmation that this is indeed the same disc previously released as part of the Mel Brooks Collection and as a standalone disc). Here's the quote from the review:

"I personally own only The Mel Brooks Collection, but I can confirm that once the disc boots, it is exactly the same as the disc found in that set, down to menus, chapter stops, and bitrates".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Don't you mean a roll in zey hay?
gallery_286742_24_100711.jpg

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Just got this from Amazon to replace my old letterboxed DVD (under eight bucks, too!), and I enjoyed seeing the new docs and the additional HD deleted scenes, which actually answered a couple of questions I always had regarding the "Abby Normal" brain.

One gripe: I did notice that the production photos now seem to be incorrectly stretched to 16:9 ??? Was that also true of the earlier blu-ray release and the anamorphic DVD?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
atfree said:
Here's what's on the Mel Brooks Collection version:

- A commentary track with director Mel Brooks.

- Inside the Lab: Secret Formulas in the Making of 'Young Frankenstein'

- A series of seven deleted scenes (480p, 16:27).

- It's Alive! Creating a Monster Classic (1080i, 31:16)

- Making FrankenSense of Young Frankenstein (480p, 41:52)

- Transylvanian Lullaby: The Music of John Morris (1080i, 10:29)

- The Franken~Track: A Monstrous Conglomeration of Trivia

- Blücher Button

- A series of outtakes (480p, 5:01)

- Isolated score, presented in lossless DTS 5.1.

- Mexican Interviews

- A series of production photographs (480p, 36:15),

- A series of TV spots (480p, 3:21),

- Five trailers (480p, 7:07)
This has been, for the last couple of Blu releases, one of the most bonus-laden releases ever. After you have gone through all the supplements, there really isn't a whole lot more you would want to know about the film. How can this new release be anything but redundant?

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
A knowing celebration of Hollywood's golden era, while also bringing a more modern ribald sensibility to the proceedings. The cast is spot on including Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman, Teri Garr and Kenneth Mars. Peter Boyle is hilarious as the Monster and, teaming up with unbilled Gene Hackman, their cracked take on the Hermit scene in BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is a centerpiece. Marty Feldman steals the show (well, as much of it as he can competing with this cast!) as the (ever-shifting) humped Igor.

What sets YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN apart from so many spoofs is that Brooks' adoration of old Hollywood is so clear, you never sense the condescension so many others of its kind display. It's a genuine homage while also telling a fully formed story of its own. That's a lot more difficult than it appears and it's the true mark of a film that has withstood the test of time.

Attachments

• Young4.jpg
    Young4.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 11

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Come on now! Gene Wilder, who's amazing performance absolutely anchors the film, doesn't even get a mention?!?
Ooops. I accidentally didn't include my previous like about Mel Brooks and Wilder collaborating on the screenplay, Brooks' Direction and Wilder's performance. Off to the barn with me!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I think Brooks/Wilder was nominated for adapted screenplay. I think this was the last great Brooks film- the films that followed were very hit and miss.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This was probably already brought up- the Wilder/Boyle number Puttin’ On The Ritz- one of the great scenes in any comedy. The Leachman bit Frau Blucher, with the horses- another bit of comic genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks