What's new

You American's *could* care less but in Britain we couldn't. Why? (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
It really bugs me that whereas over here we'd say "I couldn't care less about...", in the U.S. you say "I could care less..." - well I want to know how much less you could care? ;)
Seriously, though, that particular transatlantic change seems to take the whole meaning of the phrase away. Anyone know how it came about to change in that way?
Cheers

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's just lazy grammer, perpetuated by people who couldn't care less whether they get it right or not. "I could care less" is just wrong, it's meaning is completely opposite of what the person saying it intends.

It annoys me something awful.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It might be a shortened version of "As if I could care less".

But wherever it came from, it's still the opposite of what is being meant.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's just lazy grammer, perpetuated by people who couldn't care less whether they get it right or not. "I could care less" is just wrong, it's meaning is completely opposite of what the person saying it intends.
There is no "e" in "grammar," and you shouldn't have an apostrophe in "its."

Just FYI.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Theo,

It's actually said both ways over here-- but I'll readily admit "I could care less" is wrong, and has bugged me for years.

-Vince

Kevin P

Screenwriter
That is actually correct. It's a contraction for "it is."
Actually, there shouldn't be an apostrophe in this case. "its" in the possessive form has no apostrophe; "its meaning is....". If it was a contraction, you would wind up with "it is meaning is...."
The contraction of "it is" does have an apostrophe; "it's raining outside."
Here's an example of both forms in one sentence:
"It's correct that its apostrophe is omitted." :)
KJP

David Judah

Screenwriter
I was referring to "It's just lazy grammer," but I now see Carl was referring to "it's meaning is completely opposite..."
Nevermind :)
DJ

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I live in Canada and I couldn't care less either. :D

Something I don't get is the group of variations on the saying, "Take it with a grain of salt".
Am I correct in believing the original saying means the matter in question is so trivial, so tiny, that it is akin to a single grain of salt? If so, why do people say that something is so unimportant that you should "take it with a whole shaker of salt", for example? This would actually seem to increase the importance of it by increasing the corresponding quantity of salt. :confused:
(Sorry for rambling off the topic; the original question just made me wonder about this.)

StephenA

Screenwriter
This reminds me of people who say drowneded. That pisses me off too. Most of my family says it, along wih alot of people I knew in school and elsewhere. I've always said drowned, and my mom and cousin used to say I said it wrong.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Am I correct in believing the original saying means the matter in question is so trivial, so tiny, that it is akin to a single grain of salt? If so, why do people say that something is so unimportant that you should "take it with a whole shaker of salt", for example? This would actually seem to increase the importance of it by increasing the corresponding quantity of salt.
Actually, the saying "take it with a grain of salt" means to be skeptical of something. Salt makes food a little easier to swallow.

If something is to be taken with a whole lot of salt, then it is obviously very "hard to swallow"! The exaggerated expression is used to indicate that one should be VERY skeptical of something!

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I always heard it here as "I could care less" and have always thought that simply meant, well, I could care less than you, or I could care less than her, etc. Or..I could care a whole lot less about this that I am actually caring about it. :D
So some people couldn't possibly care less than they do, while others could care a lot less....am I making sense?
Anwayz, I've heard it both ways and always knew what the person was saying and it's never bothered me either way.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
StephenA wrote:

Quote:

This reminds me of people who say drowneded. ... Most of my family says it, along wih alot of people I knew in school and elsewhere. I've always said drowned, and my mom and cousin used to say I said it wrong.

Do your family and neighbors also say to drowned or "so-and-so is 'drown(e)ding' "? If so, what's happened here is that such speakers have replaced the regular present tense of drown in their grammar with the past tense form drowned (as if it were the base of the word). Once the base has been re-analyzed to drowned (where the -e- is silent (as if spelled drownd), then it rhymes with such verbs (some also nouns) as (a)bound, found, ground, pound, round, sound, which have past tenses in -ed (where the -e- isn't silent; so (a)bounded, founded, grounded, pounded, rounded, sounded. These speakers seem to feel the need to make the rhyming present drownd "sound" past tense by adding the -ed making it just like the other sound-alike verbs: found is to founded, ground is to grounded, and so on, as drownd is to X. X = "drownded". (It's called re-analysis by analogy.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks