You’re not supposed to use alcohol to clean your cassette deck, right?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Pine, Aug 18, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

Doesn’t it dry out the components or something? I went to buy some cleaning solution, but it’s main content was alcohol. Would it be ok to use alcohol for cleaning once a year? My deck gets little use these days. Any feedback?

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

It'll be fine, John. [​IMG]

Make sure you use a cotton swab and get the rubber wheels, capstans, and especially the read heads. When I was in radio, I cleaned the equipment all the time with that cleaner (or regular denatured alcohol, which is probably cheaper).

Matt

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Plain drugstore alcohol will dry out the rubber. If you've found a cleaning solution specifically designed for cleaning tape machines, I would assume that it has some kind of additional ingredient that will minimize this effect.

4. John Pine

Matt: Thanks, that's what I thought too.

Philip: Even with just an annual cleaning? Ok.....you've got me intrigued now. What cleaning solution are you using and where did you get it?

5. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

What's a tape deck?[​IMG]

6. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Don't use alcohol on the rubber pinch rollers, just the heads. And the metal post that is connected to the pinch roller.

7. John Pine

Calvin: hehehe....good one! I'm sure there are young guys on this forum that have never used one.

Kevin: Understood. If I clean everything else thoroughly, is it even necessary to buy something to clean the pinch rollers?

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I am using a bottle of "Geneva" tape head cleaner that I got about 20 years ago.

9. John Pine

Philip: Ohh....ok....thanks, but that's not goin' help me. Now I understand why you didn't say in the first place. hehehe

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Alcohol, used alone, lease a residue, even if it is the best cleaner to use.

In order to remove the reside, anothr chemical was added. It used to be one of the Freons (112, I think), but they may have changed that because of the ozone layer. Radio Shack should have what you're looking for, or any electronic gear repair store.

Glenn

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I always used that 91% pure alcohol to clean and used it on the rubber rollers too. I had 2 Tandberg decks that I had for many, many years and the rollers never got hot and bothered. Same with my reel to reel decks too...

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i wouldn't recommend it either. alcohol will definitely dry out the rubber. it may be minimal, or take many years to happen ... but it will happen. why take a chance?

i'm pretty sure there's some specially formulated stuff you can buy. as stated, rat-shack is a good bet.

excuse me while i skip down memory lane...

remember buying those maxell 10-pack bricks? for me, it was like a kid in a candy store. i remember going to my car...thinking about what mixed tape i was gonna make next...how i was gonna theme it, what order i was going to put the songs in.

i miss my nakamichi deck. i had the one that auto-reversed by ejecting and rotating the cassette. no azimuth problems and my friends always said, "cool!"

at one time, i think i had over 200 store-bought cassettes and probably another 200 or so in compilations.

good times!

13. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

To my knowledge alcohol will not leave a residue. Various methods of denaturing and the substances used could leave a residue. Everclear (witch is not denatured) and should be available in your local spirit shoppe might be the best possible solution if your going to use alcohol.I Don't think a periodical cleaning with a dilute 50/50 solution of Everclear and purified non mineralized water (which also would not leave any residue) the type recommended for steam irons should be perfect. Sterile Q-Tips saturated then squeezed dry using non-powdered surgical gloves should be about as perfect a method that you will find. Personally, I would't go to this extreme. Just the 50/50 solution and a little care when cleaning would work for me. Edit- Distilled Water was the term that escaped me 50/50 Everclear/Distilled Water, Good luck

14. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Here's another benefit of the above rec. After your tedious attention to detail during the cleaning process, take one ounce of your cleaning solution and add to a half grass of orange juice. Salute to a job well done.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Pure isopropyl alcohol (IPA) won't leave a residue. The stuff you get in a drug store will (rubbing alcohol).

Place like mcmelectronics and partsexpress.com have the stuff specifically to clean rubber (pinch rollers).

I have a bottle of this stuff from Teac that I got years ago. An oily like solvent type liquid. Maybe freon containing.

16. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Iso-propyl may be fine (dunno). If using Iso-propyl, probably best to forget the little after work party that was planned using the ethyl. Isopropyl-Alcohol= BOr-ing

17. John Pine

Glenn, Rachel, Ted & Jack thanks guys and gals for the good information! I'll check out more local (Atlanta) shops this weekend. I just bought a used (eBay) Denon DRM-710 deck and I want to get it "Ship/Shape, before using it.

Kevin: Kevin Brown...Kevin Brown.....man that name sounds familiar. Do you work for Honeywell?

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Isopropyl alcohol is the 91% pure stuff I alluded to. I think rubbing alcohol is 70% pure??? It should be avoided. It will leave considerable residue. Even isppropyl will leave a tiny residue but it's better than having an oxide residue.

I've always heard that isopropyl was gonna dry out rubber rollers. I didn't heed the warning. I wanted those suckers clean so they wouldn't cross-contaminate the heads. I used alot of isopropyl on decks I kept a long time without ever drying out a single roller. My last reel to reel which I got in 1982 was bathed with isopropyl regularly till 2000 when I sold it. I sold it to somebody I know and it's stille going strong.

I lamblasted my 2 Tandberg cassette decks with isopropyl too. Never a problem with the rollers. I used both of them for approximately 20 years. They died because parts other than rollers were no longer available.

I think that extreame cleanliness outwieghs any fears that rollers are going to dry out prematurely. It doesn't really matter if rollers last 50-100 years, the rest of the deck surely won't![​IMG]

The distilled water to get for the cleanest possible rinse is the triple-distilled water that's used for medical applications, since somebody mentioned it. My father worked at a hospital and used to bring it home to me for vinyl cleaning.

Di nada, John![​IMG]

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- Nope, but it's a common enough name...

I still play some baseball every now and then though. [​IMG]

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Funny this topic should come up, a few days ago I was digging through an old box of casettes at my mother's place, looking for my old tape of Eddie Murphy' stand-up routines. Couldn't find it, but I found cassettes where I'd recorded the BBC's Two Cheers shows, which were spoof news round-ups done in the inimitable British way. It was quite a hoot to play these in the tape deck in the car on the way to work the past two days -- the car's tape deck is the only one I have now. Which will be a real pain to clean if necessary [​IMG]

As an aside, I was quite amazed that a recording I made in 1987 sounded fine, within the limitations of the source (BBC World Service isn't exactly hi-fi). So I can personally vouch that a decent cassette tape can and does last in excess of 17 years, even in this climate (really really humid).